Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD vs Xeon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD vs Xeon

Hi to every one,

Right now I am running Xeon Processor with Virtualizor OpenVZ and KVM but it seems outdated, I want to update my complete specifications along with vitualization.

I was thinking for Virtualizor Virtuozzo OS which comes with KVM and OpenVZ 7 both, Right now I have Xeon hardwares and I want to update them as well.

What you guys think, AMD is better if I need to do virtualization like AMD 5700 or AMD 3700?
Using right now: E5-26xx or E5-24xx or E3-12xx

Note: If you thing I should change virtualizor to any new platform let me know suggestions as well, must be work with WHMCS

Comments

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

The AMD chips you are mentioning are a lot newer.

It depends on your budget and use case. If your using something that mainly relies on RAM, then the Intel will be the more cost efficient way since it has ECC enabled, while most Ryzen servers do not.

Now if you're more cpu intensive, then for sure AMD as it has far better single and multi thread scores.

If you're wanting to upgrade slightly, upgrade to a E5 v3/v4 chip to be able to use DDR4 memory and sometimes even NVMe.

If you're looking for either of these, I can suit your needs in Dallas & New York.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • This means +1 for AMD if target is Virtualization?> @aqua said:

The AMD chips you are mentioning are a lot newer.

It depends on your budget and use case. If your using something that mainly relies on RAM, then the Intel will be the more cost efficient way since it has ECC enabled, while most Ryzen servers do not.

Now if you're more cpu intensive, then for sure AMD as it has far better single and multi thread scores.

If you're wanting to upgrade slightly, upgrade to a E5 v3/v4 chip to be able to use DDR4 memory and sometimes even NVMe.

If you're looking for either of these, I can suit your needs in Dallas & New York.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

You may find good v3/v4 deals, AMD will be more expensive, but AMD will outperform Intel Xeon. AMD server versions for sure, not desktop-grade CPU.
    Everything depends on your needs and your budget.

• adraklasan2adraklasan2 Member
    edited February 2023

@bacloud said:
    You may find good v3/v4 deals, AMD will be more expensive, but AMD will outperform Intel Xeon. AMD server versions for sure, not desktop-grade CPU.
    Everything depends on your needs and your budget.

There is no issue with budget now, I need best for my customers so no one can leave my VPS..
    Like people loves vps providers like buyvm, contabo, racknerd, obhost, easyvm and many other provider, I want to be a same like best and cheapest VPS with best quality..

• You can't be the cheapest and the best. You need to pick a niche and go with that. Do you want to attract people who want the best benchmarks or have workloads where single core performance is critical? Go with AMD ryzen. Want to attract enterprise customers with highly multithreaded workloads, go with EPYC or Xeon cpus.

Thanked by 1RapToN
  • @bgerard said:
    You can't be the cheapest and the best. You need to pick a niche and go with that. Do you want to attract people who want the best benchmarks or have workloads where single core performance is critical? Go with AMD ryzen. Want to attract enterprise customers with highly multithreaded workloads, go with EPYC or Xeon cpus.

Ok, In case of XEON which can be good CPU?

• @adraklasan2 said:

@bgerard said:
    You can't be the cheapest and the best. You need to pick a niche and go with that. Do you want to attract people who want the best benchmarks or have workloads where single core performance is critical? Go with AMD ryzen. Want to attract enterprise customers with highly multithreaded workloads, go with EPYC or Xeon cpus.

Ok, In case of XEON which can be good CPU?

See the comment from @aqua above and then weigh up price to performance ratio, power costs, how long it'll take to recoup the cost. You know, general business stuff.

• Ok and which thing is best in case of offering VPS to customers, Co location (Buy the hardware and ship to DC) or Rent hardware from DC?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2023

@adraklasan2

Your opening question/title already is questionable. If asked at all, it should be accompanied by some relevant details. Some are

• budget. There's virtually always a budget. If your budget is $50/month and server A is, say 3 times as fast as server B but costs $80/month what sense does "A = 3 x B" make?
    • Use case "I want to run VMs" isn't helpful (because too vague). I have and still do run VMs on stoneage thin clients as well as on dedis in my lab. In terms of performance and which one is good for what there are worlds in between them.
    • Business use? Private use? Type of use of the VMs?
    • WHAT do you really want - and why?
    • How many vCores do you need and how fast do you need them to be?

The quality (and number too, btw) of answers you'll get very much depends on well you ask.

At least for one of your questions I have a halfway clear answer: colocation is usually not significantly cheaper than renting a dedi but renting a dedi is easier and more comfy (unless you are really experienced and really know what you're doing, which, pardon me, seems not to be the case with you).

• Go with early i3, DDR2 or AMD 5950x. There is too much DDR3 stuff already

• adraklasan2adraklasan2 Member
    edited February 2023

Business use? Private use? Type of use of the VMs?
    Want to sale like other provider is doing

WHAT do you really want - and why?
    Business, Make my company name better ike contabo netccup hetner

How many vCores do you need and how fast do you need them to be?
    I want all good, I am thinking for Virtualizor Virtuozzo so it will be fast but i want to make sure about hardware.

@jsg

• @adraklasan2 first your name is very funny

In Hindi Adrak = Ginger and Lasan = Garlic

So I'm sure you are Indian or part of the same civilization

Now back to the topic, if you have budget and want to provide vps services with best hardware their I will say none of these CPUs

Instead try to get Xeon Gold CPUs for Intel or Epyc CPUs for AMD

I personally prefer AMD Epyc

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@adraklasan2 said:
    Business use? Private use? Type of use of the VMs?
    Want to sale like other provider is doing

WHAT do you really want - and why?
    Business, Make my company name better ike contabo netccup hetner

How many vCores do you need and how fast do you need them to be?
    I want all good, I am thinking for Virtualizor Virtuozzo so it will be fast but i want to make sure about hardware.

@jsg

Based on your still still ridiculously vague answers my advice is to use AMD Epyc with 24 or max. 32 cores and lots of RAM and be sure to get fast RAM.