Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Limits for LET/B OpenVZ Offers (both providers/customers) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Poll] Limits for LET/B OpenVZ Offers (both providers/customers)

2»

Comments

• edited December 2013

@sleddog How can we earn this index?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@MarkTurner said:
    The better option would be an agent that VPS providers add to their servers which passes the server specification, number of VPS with total memory and disk commits; IO wait, load and network interface stats to a central server. This data could then be used to determine just how badly a server is being oversold and deal with the neverending BS of 'we dont oversell' said the guy with a 64GB server which was oversold to 200GB, and disk space oversold 10x over.

We use something similar internally to see when we are getting hotspots - we generally run 10-12 VPS's per server so sometimes a customer wants an upgrade which can then impact the servers performance, so this helps us determine overselling or overcontended servers.

Won't work. You have no way to keep a provider from spoofing data.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2013

Andy said: @sleddog How can we earn this index?

Through an ingenious, innovative system devised by the best brains at LET.

• An ongoing rating/evaluation system
    • VPS owners periodically (e.g., monthly) 'check-in' to record their current satisfaction level with their provider(s)
    • The satisfaction index is built over time and is weighted. e.g. 5 happy users over a month adds a few points, 5 happy users over 6 months add more. 50 happy users over a year adds a lot more.

You get the idea :)

• The satisfaction rating form, submitted monthly by the consumer:

How do you rate AcmeVPS this month?

• Uptime (excellent, good, fair, poor)
    • Performance (...)
    • Integrity (...)

Excellent & good add points. Fair, poor deduct points.

The longer someone participates, the more weight his/her ratings gets. i.e., long-term participants carry more weight.

The Satisfaction Index for every provider is displayed publicly, e.g., "AcmeVPS +40". Clicking it displays a page with trend over time (graph) and a list of current contributors/raters.

• @sleddog Good idea, I'd recommend you to create a thread and poll.

• @joepie91 - it would need to be a binary or better supported by the control panel being used. But as you say anyone with half a brain would be able to circumvent it.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

@MarkTurner said:
    joepie91 - it would need to be a binary or better supported by the control panel being used. But as you say anyone with half a brain would be able to circumvent it.

It would still be trivial to spoof - if it runs on the 'client', it's always untrusted.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited December 2013

I have a feeling that if the person who administer the site does not have the capability to manage, all rules/guidelines will be for show only and worth nothing.

And I still don't understand why some people like to hold on to the "power" when both hands are full.

• @eLohkCalb said:
    I have a feeling that if the person who administer the site does not have the capability to manage, all rules/guidelines will be for show only and worth nothing.

And I still don't understand why some people like to hold on to the "power" when both hands are full.

Really.

• What I want to see is no $ cap but a spec cap. I want to see more exotic locations :)

Thanked by 1NodePing