Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aren't you afraid of attacks against dns?(Pay-as-you-go DNS)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Aren't you afraid of attacks against dns?(Pay-as-you-go DNS)

It seems that many people are using pay-per-use DNS services such as Route53, NS1, and Google Cloud DNS. Pay-per-use DNS services indeed have a high cost-performance ratio, but if they are targeted by DNS attacks, they will result in high bills due to the large number of DNS query requests. How do you handle this problem?

Comments

• Self host DNS instead.

• Most providers can filter out malicious queries.
    Especially gigants like Google or Amazon.

• PAYG services have max budget, usage alerts and auto-off for emergency. Nothing to afraid of if you know your provider well.

• And you can use a DNS provider that has unlimited queries, if you are still worried. Offhand, I can think of ClouDNS, DNSimple, and LuaDNS... there are probably many more, but those come to mind first. Bunny.net DNS has great prices BTW and worth looking at, even though it's not unlimited, but it has 20 million queries free + a low rate per million after that. Good luck!

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Users beeing afraid of PAYG was the main reason why we changed pricing to fixed one. It's very easy to abuse PAYG in case of DNS.

• @jlet88 said:
    And you can use a DNS provider that has unlimited queries, if you are still worried. Offhand, I can think of ClouDNS, DNSimple, and LuaDNS... there are probably many more, but those come to mind first. Bunny.net DNS has great prices BTW and worth looking at, even though it's not unlimited, but it has 20 million queries free + a low rate per million after that. Good luck!

Yes, I am currently using ClouDNS services.

• @ralf said:
    Self host DNS instead.

This is exactly the direction I am currently trying.

• @treesmokah said:
    Most providers can filter out malicious queries.
    Especially gigants like Google or Amazon.

I also have the same guess, but I haven't seen a document that clearly states it yet.