Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTPS solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FTPS solution

I have some idling servers which I would like to set-up as backup box, transferring backup files from my main server to it via FTPS.

I understand that I could install vsftpd and generate a self-signed certificate for FTPS. However I'm looking at something that comes with a GUI for me to easily manage multiple users on the FTP server. I came across SolarWinds Serv-U which looks good, but the price is steep. Are there any recommendations for a free solution?

Thanks!

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Why FTPS and not SFTP?

• @NetDynamics24 said:
    Why FTPS and not SFTP?

Some of my web servers are using DirectAdmin. The last I checked DirectAdmin does not support SFTP backup natively.

• There are some GUIs for pure-ftpd virtual users

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Server said:

@NetDynamics24 said:
    Why FTPS and not SFTP?

Some of my web servers are using DirectAdmin. The last I checked DirectAdmin does not support SFTP backup natively.

https://github.com/poralix/directadmin-sftp-backups

This works well. The interface stays the same but after installing this, if you set a backup FTP port to 22, it’ll just work.

Thanked by 1Server
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@Server said:

You can purchase a jetbackup license and use SSH backups and enjoy all other benefits of jetbackup software.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Still requires some configuration but this could be an option. https://github.com/drakkan/sftpgo

Thanked by 2Server Kassem
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@NetDynamics24 said:

@Server said:

You can purchase a jetbackup license and use SSH backups and enjoy all other benefits of jetbackup software.

Also good yeah. I have complaints about it but I don’t think they apply to anyone normal 😂

• trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited February 2023

@Server said:

@NetDynamics24 said:
    Why FTPS and not SFTP?

Directadmin SFTP

I am so mad with Directadmin for not supporting it natively. This one thing is such a huge issue with a basically otherwise decent software.

In 2023 you don't natively support SFTP?

But it does support it and I do have it working.

As root run the following:

`
    # https://github.com/poralix/directadmin-sftp-backups
    # centos 7

yum install sshpass;

cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/;
    git clone https://github.com/poralix/directadmin-sftp-backups.git;
    cp -f directadmin-sftp-backups/ftp_download.php ./;
    cp -f directadmin-sftp-backups/ftp_list.php ./;
    cp -f directadmin-sftp-backups/ftp_upload.php ./;
    chmod 700 ftp_.php;
    chown diradmin:diradmin ftp_
    .php;
    `

Then you can setup their backups with sftp. As jar said you need to change port from 21 to 22 or whatever your ssh port it.

Thanked by 1Server
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@NetDynamics24 said:

@Server said:

Or you can install rclone and have more options to backup to + encryption of backups in one package!

Doesn’t surprise that DirectAdmin does not support SFTP, as control panel became popular only due to cPanel changed price structure and increase prices.

Thanked by 1Server