Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAID10 on 8 x NVMe drives - Terrible Performance - Help Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAID10 on 8 x NVMe drives - Terrible Performance - Help Needed

HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

Hi,
8 x NVMe Samsung pm9a3 with software RAID10 we are getting a terrible performance of around 80k IOPS where we get around 1 million IOPS on a single drive.
The OS is Debian and CPU is Epyc.

What's your experience? Any help really?

Thanks

Comments

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

1 million IOPS on Linux? That's interesting in itself on a single drive. I've never been able to reach that high even with disk cache/writeback caching. I usually put it down to poor NVMe drivers on Linux.

• Non optimal block or sector size? Write cache disabled?

• SagnikSSagnikS Member, Host Rep

@Hannan said:
    Hi,
    8 x NVMe Samsung pm9a3 with software RAID10 we are getting a terrible performance of around 80k IOPS where we get around 1 million IOPS on a single drive.
    The OS is Debian and CPU is Epyc.

What's your experience? Any help really?

Thanks

Look into your chunk settings. There's a lot to read about it, try increasing/decreasing it and see if that helps at all.

• Using single PCIe adapters or using bifurcation?

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

We are using this chassis asus rs700a-e11-rs12u but I have to dig into it further more when I have time and a free server, then can provide more information. To try with RAID1 and RAID0.

Thanks

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

Could push it up to 800k on raid 1. But the problem is the CPU usage goes to top. On dual 128 core CPU. Any idea?