Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in "Virtual Metal" or virtualized dedicated hardware? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in "Virtual Metal" or virtualized dedicated hardware?

2»

Comments

• @jsg said:
    @HalfEatenPie

I agree to quite some extent, incl. the part on me; I'm indeed very unlikely to buy such a product.

I think however that you are a bit too harsh on the "foaming at their mouth bitching" people here. You are right that @MannDude (who seems to ignore me, oh well ...) already sells virtual servers, so what's the point (and here I disagree) "bitching" about privacy, yada,yada?
    The answer is simple: A VPS is virtual, it's in the name. A dedi though is not virtual - and that's important, even decisive, because of what (potential) customers expect.

With a virtual machine they expect that, a virtual machine, duh, and hence what comes with that like "everything shared", only a very modest expectation of privacy, etc.
    With a dedi, however, the expectations are very different, and virtualizing it, no matter how nicely packaged and marketing-wrapped, boils down to "it's basically just a large VxS, period", and hence to a very lacking basis in terms of privacy, security, etc.

That's fair but I believe you're getting too into the semantics of the word vs related expectation.

Dedicated/dedi is already accepted as "guaranteed resources". Dedicated Server is usually accepted as similar to or equivalent to bare-metal, but realistically usually means with the expectation that the resources are dedicated to you and it's the entire server whereas bare-metal means "installed on the metal" aka, includes the expectation the software stack doesn't include a hypervisor in-between.

Like I get the reason why people are so stuck on this "virtual vs bare-metal" and it makes sense if you're only looking at it from the surface. But once you actually get under the hood based on userbase, expectations, and just Incognet's actual business operations then what you find is that it doesn't really matter. The attraction of Incognet (and their entire market sector) is a focus on privacy, but based on the structure of the business, operations, and minimal data collected on you as the client in order to service your needs. If you're a new client, sure you might complain that dedicated should equal bare metal, all clients have, to some extent, already accepted the technical risks associated with virtualization it just doesn't really matter.

• NanjaNanja Member

A little bit of Necromancy, sorry!
    I am just curious what OP @MannDude has decided to do.
    Are they scrapping the idea or have they been working on it? I haven't seen anymore discussion past this thread, else I just haven't been paying attention.

These past several months, I am sure it's made some progress if they are still working on it.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

@Nanja said:
    A little bit of Necromancy, sorry!
    I am just curious what OP @MannDude has decided to do.
    Are they scrapping the idea or have they been working on it? I haven't seen anymore discussion past this thread, else I just haven't been paying attention.

These past several months, I am sure it's made some progress if they are still working on it.

Scrapped it, basically.

Focus is now on VPN stuff and preparation for our Kansas City expansion.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

I think virtual dedicated severs are great.

• I think for an amateur in virtualization like me, would've preferred using it.
    No need to config from scratch, cheaper prices (relatively)
    There'll be always buyer if you sell it in a right markets :smiley: