Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List your top reasons for NOT using your registrar's DNS service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

List your top reasons for NOT using your registrar's DNS service

I find myself using my registrar's DNS service for about 1/2 of my domains, the other half sprinkled around to various other hosting or DNS providers, mainly for convenience.

I'm curious as to your top reasons for NOT using your registrar's DNS service.

And on the other side of the issue, if you LOVE one of your registrar's DNS service, please share why!

Thank you!

Comments

• Unable to use Dynamic DNS clients (like ddclient) with registrar's DNS

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Unless you’re paying a premium, your domain registrar is not collecting money from you for DNS hosting. It’s a free addon, a courtesy. Don’t run production on something that your provider may not consider an emergency if it’s down.

• It’s CloudFlare, so, I do.

• Nowadays, the DNS services of the major registrars are (or seem to be) good/reliable, but a number of years ago, I got into the habit of using a third-party DNS service, also simply to make the DNS service independent of the registrar

(My favorite free DNS service is dns.he.net )

Thanked by 2jlet88 chitree
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

It can be pain the ass if/when you transfer your domain out.
    @yoursunny posted cute story about that (can't find this thread now).

I use third party nameservers (dns.he.net and cloudflare), which means that I don't need to do anything when I transfer domains among registrars. Domains keep current nameservers which means also all the DNS records.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Mumbly said:
    It can be pain the ass if/when you transfer your domain out.

Very true. Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten what a pain in can be sometimes. Been a while since I transferred a domain out, but you're 100% right.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@angstrom said:
    Nowadays, the DNS services of the major registrars are (or seem to be) good/reliable, but a number of years ago, I got into the habit of using a third-party DNS service, also simply to make the DNS service independent of the registrar

Haven't used HE since 2 years, have they implemented DNSSEC?

• @FatGrizzly said:

@angstrom said:
    Nowadays, the DNS services of the major registrars are (or seem to be) good/reliable, but a number of years ago, I got into the habit of using a third-party DNS service, also simply to make the DNS service independent of the registrar

Haven't used HE since 2 years, have they implemented DNSSEC?

No, but with the slave mode it's possible. It feels that the only things they've done these years are adding some record types. Service itself is solid though.

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly jlet88
  • @jlet88 said:
    top reasons for NOT using your registrar's DNS service.

i used to have many domains, so it made sense to buy from low end registries, because every penny counts when you pay for many domains for many years.

but as always this comes with a higher risk of failure, and so i managed to be part of practically every deadpool in the domain sector... i never lost a domain, it was just not possible to make any changes to affected domains while icann moved them to another registry, which takes weeks-months.

but that was no problem because the nameservers were independent from the registry, so i could manage any dns changes as usual.

long story short, if you keep dns and registry separate the sudden failure of any of the two is less painfull.

Thanked by 1jlet88