Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After a bit of advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After a bit of advice

gap30gap30 Member

Hi first time poster but long time lurker

After a bit of advice I have a website in the UK on a .co.uk domain in a pretty competitive field locally

My current hosting is with Namhero and this runs out in 16 days I have been with them for 3 years previously and prior to that I was with 1and1 (ionis) for 8 years

If you was to google a certain search term I am usually in the first hits in a very very competitive field in a major city in the UK

I have always done my own SEO and built/designed my own website and have been on page one in search results practically from day one and I am I would say I am slightly above average when it comes to computing in general but I am no programmer (currently have a wordpress site using Kadence theme getting 97% on pagespeed insights)

Now I have always been interested in KVM VPS what they are and what they do, through this excellent site I have some knowledge ie Racknerd Cloudserver etc

Also my renewal price for the Namehero is something stupid like $350 I think I initially paid $150 for the last 3 years

I have always been led to believe you should pick a server closest to your location ie London for the UK for example

I like the 2.5gb KVM VPS from Racknerd for $28.55 per year for example but it is based in the US only so would that affect my rankings?

My plan would be to install Debian 11/Cloudpanel then obviously WP and migrate my site - I understand that there would be some maintenance involved in this but my WP site is updated/looked at weekly by me that is my bread and butter

Or do I just get shared hosting and forget about it?

Am I doing things the right way? what would others do in my shoes?

ELI5 sorry for the long winded post my rankings are the key thing that is how I make money

Do not take this post the wrong way I am genuinely looking for the best solution for my business going forward

Comments

• Also forgot to add my business currently has 3879 views this month according to Google

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2023

I have always been led to believe you should pick a server closest to your location ie London for the UK for example

Server location doesn't need to match your target country -- you just need good performance. So anywhere in Europe for UK users is perfect.

If your users are only in UK or Europe, US hosting doesn't make much sense. You're talking 80ms minimum to cross the pond.

Thanked by 1gap30