Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING: Microsoft services have gone down for users around the world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BREAKING: Microsoft services have gone down for users around the world

Microsoft services have gone down for users around the world including messaging system Teams and email platform Outlook

Comments

• Hmmm.. That's why services of Ola (An Uber competitor in India) also down..

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2023

I was having problems with duckduckgo about an hour ago. I think they use bing, but seem to be back online now.

• Was facing problems with GitHub for the same reason.

• Most of the O365 stuff are affected and works like crap. We were in a Teams meeting while it started and everyone got kicked out. DuckDuckGo was throwing ssl errors for a minute or two.

• as i am typing this, i've been using o365 without issues for past several hours. in fact we got an ongoing teams call for 4+ hours without any issues lol. is this limited to NA?

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

I didn't personally notice the impact :)

Tried MS Teams a few years ago but wasn't a big fan of it. Slack just feels a lot less cluttered and more straight to the point. A friend of mine once described Slack as the business version of Discord, which I'd say is a fair comment.

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited January 2023

@jignes_k said:
    as i am typing this, i've been using o365 without issues for past several hours. in fact we got an ongoing teams call for 4+ hours without any issues lol. is this limited to NA?

Doesn't seem limited to NA. We experienced networking issues around 07:05 UTC. Things are resolved now though. (Azure vms)

Thanked by 1jignes_k
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

8 services hasn’t been resolved yet, still on going issue from Office 365 to Exchange

• I heard the board is currently in talks to change the name to Office 364.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yeah was having a meeting on Teams today and had to move to Webex.

• fanfan Veteran

Even outlook is down for me.

• @fan said:
    Even outlook is down for me.

its become inlook.

• emgemg Veteran

A foreign espionage agency had to make a configuration change at Microsoft and then reboot the servers. :-)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2023

This is why you always use a large business for production workloads.

I kid. No really though, I know no matter how large you are these things come down to a handful of people to solve, and I feel bad for them. It doesn’t get easier just because you have shareholders.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@jar said:

I kid. No really though, I know no matter how large you are these things come down to a handful of people to solve, and I feel bad for them. It doesn’t get easier just because you have shareholders.

Yeah, every time we try to identify SPOF there is always another one further up the chain and there is no protection against authorized human error. I like to think the difference with a smaller provider is they can at least stand a chance to get a hold of someone that can give an honest and accurate response.

Then again, sometimes you get neither.

Thanked by 2jar Maounique
  • @crunchbits said:

@jar said:

Yeah, every time we try to identify SPOF there is always another one further up the chain and there is no protection against authorized human error. I like to think the difference with a smaller provider is they can at least stand a chance to get a hold of someone that can give an honest and accurate response.

Then again, sometimes you get neither.

With small providers atleast on LE* going down means not getting hold of anyone. No responses. False promises if any or straight up lies

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@Arkas said:
    I was having problems with duckduckgo about an hour ago. I think they use bing, but seem to be back online now.

Not only they use Bing, but they are also hosted on M$ servers.
    Its basically Bing with placebo "privacy".
    You can still be tracked by M$ just like with Bing.

• Some people have reported issues with Bitwarden too (it uses Azure), like passwords disappearing from their vault and then reappearing, which would be scary

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Had the exact same problems with Microsoft services, seems to be stable now.

• What a shame they were able to restore their services.

Without Microsoft Teams, I'm sure productivity was at the highest it's been in a while before they fixed it and allowed people to have unnecessary meetings again.

Thanked by 2yoursunny user123
  • They had a WAN routing issue which affected traffic between all the dc's. It seems like random services across the globe was affected, mostly outlook and teams. Also, some stuff hosted by Azure seems to have been affected.

That's the beauty of distributed computing, even if everything in your dc is up and running perfectly fine some things still refuse to work because one vital little piece is distributed somewhere else, and now you cant reach it. :smile:

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@plumberg said:
    With small providers atleast on LE* going down means not getting hold of anyone. No responses. False promises if any or straight up lies

Yeah, hence the sometimes you get neither part :)

@Pwner said:
    What a shame they were able to restore their services.

Without Microsoft Teams, I'm sure productivity was at the highest it's been in a while before they fixed it and allowed people to have unnecessary meetings again.

:D

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@crunchbits said: Yeah, hence the sometimes you get neither part

Redundancy, at micro level you can, at macro, nope, nobody can seriously duplicate whole datacenters on different carriers, over satellite and cable, in three parts of the world and all. Even so, someone can fat-finger both by pushing some update, or something.

• we do not use office365,it is too bad. Even the hotmaill/outlook free email,99% are phising to me. Some bad guy register too many account and sending phising,scam worldwide,but microsoft know nothing about it,it has last at least about 1.5 years and currently,still too many phishing emails from microsoft.
    We block hotmail/outlook free emails by default.