Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What DNS Provider do you use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What DNS Provider do you use?

2»

Comments

• @kiffbirne said:
    Iam here in Germany and using Quad9 and dnsforge.de.

@rooter said:
    NextDNS, love the filtering options and very customizable.

I believe OP was asking for authoritative dns, not recursive.

Thanked by 3kait rooter kzs
  • @Kousaka said:
    ns1
    he.net (self-hosted hidden master, for dnssec support)

Primarily NS1, with a backup at he.net, for a few low traffic domains.

Not ideal in terms of features, but on the other hand I haven't had a DNS problem of any kind for the past 19 years.

• itzanameitzaname Member
    edited January 2023

Run a mix of NS1 and DNSMadeEasy with dnscontrol for mostly rDNS zones. Looking to replace NS1 as we're not getting much value out of it in comparison to the cost.

• what to use depends on your use case. there are so many decent public options, then why offer one for the public? if you want to get into it then perhaps have a value add ready?

for myself, i use DoH wherever possible, or the vanilla public dns offerings from cloudflare or nextdns as mentioned by many already. at least for DoH, the mainstream services connect you to the nearest servers so "server location" is never an issue.

• emgemg Veteran

For authoritative DNS for my domains, I use Cloudflare. I chose Cloudflare only because it is required if you want to use their "at cost" domain registration and renewal services. It was a compromise. I would prefer to keep domain registration and authoritative DNS with separate providers.

For choosing DNS forwarders for recursive DNS, you may want to try a DNS benchmarking tool to see which DNSs give the best performance from your system's location:

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

• default DNS by domain register

• umzakumzak Member
    edited January 2023

cloudflare & bunny dns

Thanked by 1greentea
  • pkrpkr Member

bunny.net for all domains.

• @treesmokah said:
    I believe OP was asking for authoritative dns, not recursive

Woops. Thx I do not complain

• This is what people have commented so far, definitely a healthy amount of options, was expecting more bunny and cloudns and wasn't expecting to see HE up high. What are some must have features for a free dns? Planning on setting one up that people can use for free. (I am planning to set it up myself but if other people want it I wouldn't care)

cloudflare 13
    hurricane electric 5
    bunnydns 5
    cloudns 4
    ns1 3
    desec 3
    1984 2
    afraid 2
    hetzner 2
    dnsmadeeasy 2
    luadns 1
    ultradns 1
    gcore 1

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Cloudflare free dns & Gcore free dns.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

My main ones:

• DNSimple for unlimited records and fast updates
    • Bunny. Free and has SSL redirects
    • ClouDNS because you can group similar domains with templates
    • Route53 for cheap geo DNS queries
  • umzumz Member

Cloudflare, NextDNS 👍

• Cloudflare

• themewthemew Member
    edited January 2023

dns.he.net is fast, free and very reliable but still no dnssec option (they did post they're working on it...) Nice backup for any primary.

• Cloudflare is the best one, imho

• cloudflare.. it's like all you can eat restaurant with delicious menus lol

• Has anyone tried Zilore? They have a free version with 10,000,000 DNS queries, looks interesting.

• Gcore and n1.
    The geodns of Gcore is the best I have ever used (including lat long, asn, countries and visual map to each node).

• he

• CloudFlare only.

• Bind9 on 2x VPS, master/slave.

Thanked by 2kait MannDude
  • ClouDNS, mainly because they are the least expensive of the paid DNS services and the Anycast network is satisfyingly fast to update.

• kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

ClouDNS and self hosted!

• Stability is my first consideration,
    and I think dns.he.net and Cloudflare are good so far.

• I think I am the first to mention DNSManager.io. Found the link to sign-up from here at LET. Simple and effective. I haven't had a problem so far. Hosting 29 domains with them. (decent mix of production domains in there).

Thanked by 3kait jlet88 ascicode