Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Do you find container orchestration techs like Docker and Kubernetes, overly complex?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Do you find container orchestration techs like Docker and Kubernetes, overly complex?

What do you think of this?
Bash scripts vs Kubernetes

What is your go-to glue language/solution?
  1. What is your go-to glue language/solution?59 votes
    1. Shell scripts (Bash, sh, Zsh, fish, etc)
      45.76%
    2. Python
        5.08%
    3. Perl
        3.39%
    4. Compiled languages (Go, C/C++, Java, etc)
        5.08%
    5. Containerization (Docker, etc)
      40.68%

Comments

  • I don't get this poll. How does docker compete with python and other programing languages?

    Thanked by 2bdl ralf
  • harrisonharrison Member
    edited January 22

    @drizbo said:
    I don't get this poll. How does docker compete with python and other programing languages?

    When you want to solve a non-trivial problem, would you simply use a programming language in the host OS itself or write a "service running in an isolated environment in a programming language"

  • @harrison said:
    When you want to solve a non-trivial problem, would you simply use a programming language in the host OS itself or write a "service running in an isolated environment in a programming language"

    Wait, what? That question makes no sense at all.
    Are you trying to say that a shell script does the same thing as a docker or kubernetes container?

  • @rcy026 said: Are you trying to say that a shell script does the same thing as a docker or kubernetes container?

    it can

  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor

    I consider Proxmox already as bloat, using nearly 1gig on idle.
    Docker is kinda okay and easy to use.

    However Kubernetes, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

  • @harrison said:

    @rcy026 said: Are you trying to say that a shell script does the same thing as a docker or kubernetes container?

    it can

    Whatever you smoke, it must be good :D

    I have been using Kubernetes at work for years (and sometimes for personal stuff) and I love it. It's complex, but if you know how to use it it can be very powerful.

  • Docker is super powerful for someone like me who:

    • Doesn't want to spend the time to read up on install scripts
    • Wants to know where all the files are stored so that I can easily migrate installs across servers
    • Doesn't want to get into the weeds of what the updates are and what needs to be done for an app
    • Wants to test some apps and configs in a temporary space
    • Sometimes needs to build from source but doesn't want to keep the packages and dependencies stored

    etc and more. It just makes my life a lot easier.

    Thanked by 1martheen
  • @harrison said:

    @rcy026 said: Are you trying to say that a shell script does the same thing as a docker or kubernetes container?

    it can

    Well, yes, it can, but that's totally missing the whole point of a container.

  • your posts are getting wilder every time. ⊙⁠﹏⁠⊙

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • bdlbdl Member

    @drizbo said:
    I don't get this poll. How does docker compete with python and other programing languages?

    ChatGPT has learned to post :wink:

    Thanked by 2lentro martheen
  • I don't know why programing languages even exist when you can already do everything they can with assembly. Just seems over engineered and pointless to me...

    Thanked by 2vitobotta martheen
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

    K8S solves some specific problems that many people doesn't have. But I do use it in few production deployments.

  • Comparing Docker and K8s was your first mistake...

    Thanked by 1lentro
  • It's all about using the right tool for the job. I have some things running as shell scripts on cron, some standalone dockers, and other things on k8s.

    My day job involves administering k8s clusters, and we definitely have teams running things on there that could just be bash scripts on cron.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • MerakithMerakith Member
    edited January 23

    Where is Ansible in the poll? May be you want me to vote for Python. I also find Docker & Kubernetes or any form of containerization overly complex.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • Mostly I heard people say "You dont need docker" basically people never tried / using it properly :D
    Most time I use docker was for development which SUPER convience rather than using weird QEMU script / LXC.
    Also on rarely-case like software so ""complex"", I rather using docker than more "complex" POSIX hell scripting

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • AFAIK there is a freaking forum done entirely on bash (can't remember URL). So, no need for anything fancier than that.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • @LTniger said:
    AFAIK there is a freaking forum done entirely on bash (can't remember URL). So, no need for anything fancier than that.

    ooh i am interested now if you remember quote me pls

  • many people in this forum run their own web services. for them, especially those with complexities in their tech stack, containers are great, sure.

    i am weirded out by examples where you run docker just to run a container than does nothing but execute a python script in a glorified virtual environment. like sure do it if you already run containers for other reasons. don't just hop on the bandwagon for the sake of it.

    trying to figure out networking in k8s have shown me not to use a flamethrower to light a birthday candle.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • @lol_fire said:

    @LTniger said:
    AFAIK there is a freaking forum done entirely on bash (can't remember URL). So, no need for anything fancier than that.

    ooh i am interested now if you remember quote me pls

    Hm, it was asm, not bash. My bad.

    https://asm32.info/fossil/asmbb/index

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

    Docker and Kubernetes are good at automating infrastructure deployment, CI-CD, and using bash scripts instead of Docker and Kubernetes will be many times more difficult.
    At the same time, for some trivial cases or for a test, it will be easier to write a small bash script than to use Docker and Kubernetes

  • Yes. But I'm fairly noob-ish with this stuff. However, the "mystery" of a system like Docker has been a lot quicker to reveal itself and I find myself understanding more of it the more I use, which is not the case for every system, especially some CLI ones.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 26

    @vsys_host said: Docker and >Kubernetes are good at automating infrastructure deployment, CI-CD, and using bash >scripts instead of Docker and Kubernetes will be many times more difficult.
    At the same time, for some trivial cases or for a test, it will be easier to write a small bash >script than to use Docker and Kubernetes

    Exactly this!

    Thanked by 1vsys_host
Sign In or Register to comment.