Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 on OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 on OpenVZ

ksx4systemksx4system Member
edited September 2011 in General

Is it possible to add IPv6 to my VPS using only tun module? My current provider (non lowendbox, from my home country) loaded tun for me (and I have correct /dev/net/tun device) but they don't want to load sit module. They use 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.028stab081.1 Linux kernel if it makes any difference.

Comments

• google for tbtun, i wouldn't really recommend it though

• afaik tb-tun needs sit module (if not - please prove it), ustun (tb-tun fork with firewall addon) doesn't work at all. gogoc (freenet6 client) freezes my VPS a bit making load go up from 0.01 to 1.00 all the time (and it doesn't work too).

• i have no idea, i've only used it once and it wasn't ... good

but it's own faq says:

Some old linux kernel or OpenVZ containers did not support linux-tunnel (device sit). TB-TUN can run in userspace and build 6to4/tunnelbroker/ISATAP tunnel.

• ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited September 2011

I don't know what the f&@% is ISATAP ;-) however, I tried to setup he.net tunnelbroker based IPv6, with no luck unfortunately. I found that it'll be much easier to set up but... it's not, at least on OpenVZ.... afaics it still needs sit module, WTF?

edit:

weird thing.

root@maryland:/# modprobe tun
    FATAL: Module tun not found.

but provider says that they already loaded it for me and

root@maryland:/# ls /dev/net
    tun

so it looks like they really did (there was no "tun" file before I asked them to load tun module).

• Do a cat /dev/net/tun

It must say Bad descriptor or something like that

• @yomero exactly

root@maryland:/# cat /dev/net/tun
    cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ksx4system said: modprobe tun FATAL: Module tun not found.

You do not do modprobe yourself on openvz. The provider loads the modules on the host node. Any modprobe you try inside the VPS will invariably fail, even if that module is already loaded on the node.

As for tb-tun, it worked perfectly for me, and it's made specifically to be used without sit module (so I am at a loss of words from your request to "prove" it).

• @rm_ Can you tell me the commands that you ran to assign the IP to the device? I can't get it to work.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@dclardy
    something like this:

!/bin/bash

skill tbtun
    sleep 2
    /some/dir/somewhere/tbtun he-ipv6 216.66.80.26(note: my he.net tunnel server) VPS_IPv4_ADDRESS sit > /dev/null 2>&1 &
    disown
    sleep 2
    ip link set he-ipv6 up
    ip addr add MY_IPv6_ADDRESS(from he.net) dev he-ipv6
    ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
    ip -f inet6 addr
    ifconfig he-ipv6 mtu 1480