Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Chinese New Year 2023
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy Chinese New Year 2023

Year of the rabbit ^_^

Hope everyone healthy and getting richer :#

Comments

• GhtGht Member
    edited January 2023

So you have two new years ? I dont get it :D

• @Ght said:

Then got extra holiday. :D

• @Ght said:

Right term is "2 calendars ", and in many nations there are 2 calendars.

Thanked by 2bdl kiffbirne
  • We have 3 calendars

• bdlbdl Member

Happy CNY

• Just wanna point out that it's not only the Chinese that celebrate the Lunar New Year.

Thanked by 1vpssh
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

happy new year!
    get rich and buy more idle vps to support the community dear chinese friends

• Happy Chinese New Year!

• Happy Lunar New Year!

• Happy Lunar New Year!

• UltrapassionUltrapassion Member
    edited January 2023

@aqqtran said:
    Just wanna point out that it's not only the Chinese that celebrate the Lunar New Year.

Chinese New Year
    Lunar New Year

NO, NO, NO. It's Korean Lunar New Year. LMAO :D :D :D

• happy new year guys

• TanXSTanXS Member
    edited January 2023

@Ultrapassion said:

@aqqtran said:
    Just wanna point out that it's not only the Chinese that celebrate the Lunar New Year.

Chinese New Year
    Lunar New Year

EA corrected it pretty quickly, about one night or so, not sure if only been corrected in Chinese Language, or all languages interface. What I mean corrected is, they removed "Korean" from the title, left just Lunar New Year.

• Thanked by 1TanXS
  • @xiaopigu said:
    Year of the rabbit ^_^

Hope everyone healthy and getting richer :#

are rabbits symbolic for healthiness and being rich?

• I think a lot of people here are very uneducated and it is obvious that lunar new year is a misnomer, the authentic lunar new year should be the Islamic calendar New Year, not the Chinese lunisolar calendar. Since the lunisolar calendars are not unique, so, the Chinese New Year is generally referred to as Chinese New Year.

• We also have Lunar New Year in Vietnam.

But this year is year of cat instead rabbit like other countries.

Thanked by 1TanXS
  • @aqqtran said:

It's Chinese New Year. Lunar New Year actually is an incorrect saying as the Chinese New Year is based on lunisolar calendar, but not lunar calendar. If I remember correctly, the Lunar New Year could be in summer season while the Chinese New Year is always in winter.

Just like we speak English, even we're not in England. So, do you mean American should say "Amerishish"? Just kidding. Some countries surround China are just appropriating the Chinese culture. It's pretty common.

Thanked by 2Ultrapassion swag
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So will LNY be a super-spreader?

You have China coming out of their lockdown and now everyone is traveling to remote areas (where health care + vacc rates are lower than cities) to reunite with families...

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Lunar Megathread , when ?

Thanked by 1bdl
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Happy Chinese New Year

• @ezeth said:
    Happy Chinese New Year

Hey Lord , how are you :)

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Wishing everyone happy new year!

• Happy Chinese New Year folks!
    We need to have some CNY offer kick off :-D

• I am broke.

• Happy Lunar New Year!

• kdhkdh Member
    edited January 2023

@Ultrapassion said:

@aqqtran said:

Chinese New Year
    Lunar New Year

Nah Korean New Year originated from the Chinese New Year and they're identically the same except for what you do on that day. I'm Korean and I'm pretty sure this is correct.

But I still prefer to call it Lunar Year. Just think as if it's Christmas: You don't put some random country in front of the name, since it's literally celebrated across many countries, even in the ones without religions. The same thing applies to Lunar Year also.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

@asthen said:
    I am broke.

Poor you

• emgemg Veteran

It has been an unusual weekend all around us. We live in the heart of large Korean and Vietnamese communities, and there are Chinese and other communities around us that celebrate the holiday.

There were many large celebrations at churches and temples in the area. The buildings were heavily decorated. We saw a lot red and gold everywhere. There were banners and lanterns and ribbons, etc. We saw several churches and temples that required traffic management assistance from the police to help direct crowds and traffic in the areas around them. People were dressed in their finest clothes. Many women wore red or pink dresses.

There have been lots of fireworks all around. My partner woke me up at midnight Saturday/Sunday to the sound of "rain" all around us but no rainstorm. She was confused and a little scared. As soon as I opened the door, I knew that it was firecracker strings all around us. You could smell the "fireworks smoke" odor in the air. We have been hearing firecrackers and loud fireworks booms all weekend.

We also had a mass shooting at a nearby celebration. Ten people died and ten were wounded. Based on the latest reporting, the attack appears to have been related to domestic violence and was not racially motivated. One of the hospital names leaked, and someone phoned the hospital threatening to "finish the job." That was shameful. After that, the news withheld the names of the other hospitals aiding the wounded. :-(