Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yandex is also limiting its free hosted mail service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yandex is also limiting its free hosted mail service

So, I received this mail on Dec. 5 last year, but just checked the inbox

Hello!
We are forced to revise the terms of use of Yandex 360 services for business from April 17, 2023.
This is due to the complication of logistics for the supply of new data storage equipment: the change in pricing policy will help us maintain and develop services for organizations. To keep access to Yandex 360 features for business, select and pay one of the main tariffs until April 17, 2023.
We understand that these changes may affect the experience of using our services. To give you time, we have postponed the updates to 2023 and prepared a personal promo code for you. With it, any tariff will be 30% cheaper.
What does this mean for your organization's users:
• Mail. Emails and new incoming messages will be available to users, but without the ability to write a letter: including reply or forward.
• Disk. Files within the available limit will remain, and they can be downloaded. You won't be able to upload new files and share them.
• Mailing. There will be no access to the service — you will not be able to send new mailings.
• Administration. Adding employees to the organization and connecting a new domain will be limited.

anyone else received such? I've probably hosted 5 domains with this account.

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I haven't got such email. Sent them a ticket to ask.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Radi said:
    I haven't got such email. Sent them a ticket to ask.

Please, kindly confirm or correct once you get a response.

• I am also using Yandex mail for 2 domains. Not received any such mail. Let us know if you get any response from the support about the same.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@nezam05 said: This is due to the complication of logistics for the supply of new data storage equipment

What happened?

(citing a local meme for such cases)

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • Interesting, I wonder if this has to do with the requirement of having all Russian data on Russian servers, but they are unable to get the equipment due to sanctions because of Putin's war on Ukraine.

• According to the email, this concerns "Yandex 360 services for business":

Hello!
    We are forced to revise the terms of use of Yandex 360 services for business from April 17, 2023.

By this, I think that they mean "Yandex 360 for Business", which is a distinct product (see https://360.yandex.com/business/ )

If you don't subscribe to this product, then you wouldn't receive this email

(Or so it seems to me)

• @angstrom said: By this, I think that they mean "Yandex 360 for Business",

Yandex renamed their domain admin site to Yandex Connect, then to Yandex 360. So, if its a hosted domain for mail, it should be Yandex 360

• @nezam05 said:

@angstrom said: By this, I think that they mean "Yandex 360 for Business",

Yandex renamed their domain admin site to Yandex Connect, then to Yandex 360. So, if its a hosted domain for mail, it should be Yandex 360

Okay, let me elaborate

There are two products, Yandex 360 ( https://360.yandex.com/ ) and Yandex 360 for Business ( https://360.yandex.com/business/ )

The email seems to concern the latter but not the former

Thanked by 1Merakith
  • @angstrom said:

@nezam05 said:

@angstrom said: By this, I think that they mean "Yandex 360 for Business",

Okay, let me elaborate

There are two products, Yandex 360 ( https://360.yandex.com/ ) and Yandex 360 for Business ( https://360.yandex.com/business/ )

The email seems to concern the latter but not the former

I have Yandex 360 and I didnt receive this email so yea, it likely affects just business users.

Thanked by 2Merakith angstrom
  • @angstrom said: The email seems to concern the latter but not the former

I have Yandex 360 for Business and have not received this mail.

• @Merakith said:

@angstrom said: The email seems to concern the latter but not the former

I have Yandex 360 for Business and have not received this mail.

It's possible that the email was sent only to customers residing in certain countries, but this is just a guess

• @nezam05 said:
    So, I received this mail on Dec. 5 last year, but just checked the inbox

anyone else received such? I've probably hosted 5 domains with this account.

I got it on Dec 7 in Russian

• @rm_ said:

@nezam05 said: This is due to the complication of logistics for the supply of new data storage equipment

What happened?

(citing a local meme for such cases)

A silly excuse. In western tradition, they would proudly say "to serve you better" ... wait, no, that's for price increase. In this case, "we don't want your data anymore"

edited January 2023

Here's the reply to my ticket.

Hello,

Starting April 17, 2023, there will be changes to the terms of use of Yandex 360 services for businesses. This is due to the increased complexity of the logistics of supplying new data storage equipment: the change in pricing policy will help us to maintain and develop services for organizations.

If you received a mailing about the restrictions of the free plan on April 17, 2023, it means that the restriction will also affect your organization.

Note that the restriction will not apply to organizations with no more than three users in total, including the owner, even if they have already received the mailing before.

I didn't get such email, so I suppose it may not apply to me.

Thanked by 1mikei
  • @Radi said:
    Here's the reply to my ticket.

> Hello,
    > 
    > 
    > Starting April 17, 2023, there will be changes to the terms of use of Yandex 360 services for businesses. This is due to the increased complexity of the logistics of supplying new data storage equipment: the change in pricing policy will help us to maintain and develop services for organizations.
    > 
    > 
    > If you received a mailing about the restrictions of the free plan on April 17, 2023, it means that the restriction will also affect your organization.
    > 
    > 
    > Note that the restriction will not apply to organizations with no more than three users in total, including the owner, even if they have already received the mailing before.
    > 

I didn't get such email, so I suppose it may not apply to me.

Thank you. this explains. My total user count is more than 20 for all my domains.

I have two domains - one with 0 users (was 3) and one with 10 users.

• After the out-break of the war, Russia has limited supplies of hardware, disks, cpus, etc. seems they'll have to limit the free-usage of all services in coming months!

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@JasonM said:
    After the out-break of the war, Russia has limited supplies of hardware, disks, cpus, etc. seems they'll have to limit the free-usage of all services in coming months!

This limitation related only for "business" level mail. If you use their email for personal usage it is still free.

• This could be related to the Finnish Yandex datacenter having its electricity agreements cut due to sanctions. They are currently using diesel generators, but it should be rather costly.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:
    This could be related to the Finnish Yandex datacenter having its electricity agreements cut due to sanctions. They are currently using diesel generators, but it should be rather costly.

As far as I know, this data center was only used for internal purposes, and all services have already been moved.

Thanked by 1stefeman
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2023

@rustelekom said:

@stefeman said:
    This could be related to the Finnish Yandex datacenter having its electricity agreements cut due to sanctions. They are currently using diesel generators, but it should be rather costly.

As far as I know, this data center was only used for internal purposes, and all services have already been moved.

Yeah, it would be madness if they continued running the DC with diesel for almost a year now with the prices on Finnish gas stations lol. Especially as gasoline imports are banned from Russia for businesses too, they would need to use local diesel with local prices.

Though with the stuff going on in Russia, its already getting pretty mad out there.

Funnily enough, despite all the bans and sanctions, Yango taxi service still remains allowed and widely used here due to it being NL based subsidiary of Yandex. Why not use that to get a new electricity contract then when there's so many loopholes in EU laws that could be used to solve the situation lol.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited January 2023

@JasonM said: Russia has limited supplies of hardware, disks, cpus, etc.

Harware already supplied directly from China, with no limits. No US or EU suppliers needed. All sanctions are bullshit.
    All kind of PC hardware exist on market including latest models of CPU etc. Prices a bit increased but is not a huge.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • More cost,Less money B)

• Interesting

• edited April 2023

I would never give a Russian company a dime of my money just on principle due to current world events. Secondly, I would also have serious security and privacy concerns about a company headquartered in a largely lawless and corrupt country. Thirdly, I would have concerns about their internet access being cut off or limited unless they have servers outside of Russia/China. Fourthly, I would have concerns about their IP addresses being blacklisted.

But besides that, I am sure they are great!

• @LosPollosHermanos said:
    I would never give a Russian company a dime of my money just on principle due to current world events. Secondly, I would also have security and privacy concerns. Thirdly, I would have concerns about their internet access being cut off unless they have servers outside of Russia/China.

good for you but nobody cares

Thanked by 3netomx TheKiller mikei
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I just took MXRoute and stop worrying

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @netomx said:
    I just took MXRoute and stop worrying

...and love the bomb?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @LosPollosHermanos said:
    I would never give a Russian company a dime of my money just on principle due to current world events. Secondly, I would also have serious security and privacy concerns about a company headquartered in a largely lawless and corrupt country...

They are technically a Dutch company. Or were you referring to the Netherlands as being largely lawless and corrupt?

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Free Yandex mail for domains and Mail Ru mail for domains are now paid. Yandex from 249 rubles. Mail 1390 rubles per month.

https://360.yandex.ru/business/tariff/

https://help.mail.ru/biz/domain/tariffs