Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best free OS for DirectAdmin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best free OS for DirectAdmin?

nocloudnocloud Member
edited January 2023 in Help

According to the DA docs, CentOS, Almalinux, Debian and Ubuntu are the FOSS options available.

Im used to ubuntu and to a lesser extent debian. Are the other 2 options going to have a steep learning curve? What do most people use and why?

Comments

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

The whole point of control panel ( here DA ) is to save you from learning actual linux sysadmin. If you know DirectAdmin, there is almost no learning involved other than running few bash commands to start the installation.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • For DA, I heard that it would work best on RHEL distribution. Since CentOS is dead, you may want try it with Almalinux or Rocky Linux. Currently, I have DA on Almalinux 8/9 and they work fine.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@mgcAna said:
    The whole point of control panel ( here DA ) is to save you from learning actual linux sysadmin. If you know DirectAdmin, there is almost no learning involved other than running few bash commands to start the installation.

You're talking from an user perspective. See from a provider perspective.

I prefer Almalinux 8/9, works great and I like due to longterm stability and production grade software.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

It works perfectly well on Debian and Ubuntu. There is no difference from Almalinux or Rocky.

• RHEL distribution. CloudLinux is a good choice as well but not free.

Thanked by 1nocloud
    edited January 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@mgcAna said:

>

Why would you say that its from user perspective.. ?

Control panels saves you from setting up server, you don't have to create vhost entries, exim, spamassasin, DNS, ftp and a lot more, control panels do all that for you.

Thanked by 1nocloud

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@mgcAna said:

>

Why would you say that its from user perspective.. ?

Control panels saves you from setting up server, you don't have to create vhost entries, exim, spamassasin, DNS, ftp and a lot more, control panels do all that for you.

You're still speaking as an user, If you're setting up DA for provisioning web hosting, you need to learn basic configurations of all software, write a few shell scripts for automation of backups, etc and more.

Thanked by 1nocloud

@FatGrizzly said:
    You're still speaking as an user, If you're setting up DA for provisioning web hosting, you need to learn basic configurations of all software, write a few shell scripts for automation of backups, etc and more.

Why would you say that ?
    You never need to write a single script to run DA based website, to make backups or restore them or suspend, create, modify them.

There is no denying you can customize Linux to whatever extent you can (not only DA). But the sole purpose of any control panel is to replace all those individual configurations.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • For panels like cpanel or DA, I think we actually use them so end users can create email accounts, databases etc easily rather than server management.

Thanked by 2nocloud FatGrizzly
  • thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking from a providers perspective, for my own sites at first then maybe sell some DA accounts after getting the hang of it. Based on what Arkas said will probably try it with Ubuntu as I know how to secure Ubuntu as apposed to the other options.

One thing that i noticed was that Cloudlinux in it's features says it hardens PHP so that common attacks are blocked. Is this just marketing BS or is it genuinely a more secure OS to host on?

How viable is it to resell small DA accounts using a non paid OS option. Are they more vulnerable?

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why would you say that ?
    You never need to write a single script to run DA based website, to make backups or restore them or suspend, create, modify them.

There is no denying you can customize Linux to whatever extent you can (not only DA). But the sole purpose of any control panel is to replace all those individual configurations.

I don't wanna waste any more time, just one more question. Are you a provider?

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Alma8 is it supports CL and older PHP.

Also some apps aren’t compatible with9

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2023

@nocloud said:
    According to the DA docs, CentOS, Almalinux, Debian and Ubuntu are the FOSS options available.

All of them are great distros.

Im used to ubuntu and to a lesser extent debian.

Well, Debian and Ubuntu are 99% the same. CentOS and Alma are completly different. Only similarity is Linux kernel.

APT vs YUM
    AppArmor vs SELinux
    After installing something you're done vs you need to manually enable each service after installing.
    And tons of other differences.

If you are used to one group of OSes (like Ubuntu and Debian) I wouldn't recommend to switch. Not because CentOS/Alma is worse, but it is waste of time to learn and debug as all of them are great choices.

On my first server I had FreeBSD (local server on Pentium 3 + 128MB RAM...). I've returned to server-things ~4 years ago and tried CentOS 7, 2 years ago I tried Ubuntu, from couple of months I try Debian...

It is a waste of time to learn quirks of every distro, but I was doing this to learn more stuff and I need to say that Debian is my preferred choice.

Debian has been proven to be very good for LONG time, it is very light, doesn't have this 'snap' heavy shit like Ubuntu, it is more community-driven. I don't trust Alma that much as it's being made by CloudLinux money and they can pull 'Red Hat move' when they will see extra money to be made... with Debian you don't need to care, it will be 100% free in 2030 too. I prefer to don't have extra hassle than to split hairs between distros.

Btw. when I had FreeBSD on my server I had Mandriva on main PC... anybody remembers that distro?

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

If you use it purely as a control panel, then there is no difference which OS to install, any of those specified in the docks will be normal

Thanked by 1mgcAna
  • Ubuntu

@FatGrizzly said:

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why would you say that ?

Not here yet. And no need to be rude, you can ignore my posts, and I don't want to change your perspective. You can live with what you believe, I am just sharing my views here.

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why would you say that ?

Not here yet. And no need to be rude, you can ignore my posts, and I don't want to change your perspective. You can live with what you believe, I am just sharing my views here.

I am not rude, I'm sorry if my posts have that tone. These panels are more likely an user experience panel rather than a server management tool. While I agree with your statements, you should note that these servers require atleast minimal knowledge on the technologies since they tend to fuck themselves at times.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@mgcAna said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why would you say that ?

I am not rude, I'm sorry if my posts have that tone. These panels are more likely an user experience panel rather than a server management tool. While I agree with your statements, you should note that these servers require atleast minimal knowledge on the technologies since they tend to fuck themselves at times.

Always at the worst possible times as well.