Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your definition of Virtual Dedicated Server and difference with Dedicated Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your definition of Virtual Dedicated Server and difference with Dedicated Server?

For me, Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) is a VPS that have dedicated resources.

The only disadvantage of VDS is that you are not completely self-sufficient. You are NOT protected from the mistakes of others, and your server will shut down because your provider did not pay his monthly bills for his bare-metal / colocation, possibly resulting in data loss (if you don't have backup).

Please let me know if you have a different definition and correct me if I'm wrong :#

Comments

• This shts are confusing if you are just an end user, Bare Metal, Dedicated Server, VDS, and VPS. There are also some provider who are using the word Dedicated Server without clarifying to the end users (maybe part of marketing tactic) if they are renting Virtual or Physical Dedicated Server

• I've yet to see any provider use the term "dedicated server" for virtualized servers. It's always synonymous with bare metal. I don't think you are ready to become a provider.

• @BigDongLong said:
    I've yet to see any provider use the term "dedicated server" for virtualized servers. It's always synonymous with bare metal. I don't think you are ready to become a provider.

This is just for a discussion mate, I know their differences, I'm just want to know what others know about VDS / Dedicated Server as well since discussions can kill time :p

Those providers that uses the term "Dedicated Server" without identifying if it's VDS or Bare Metal are mostly seen in Google, but I think that's part of their marketing tactic

• @JamesRoi said:

@BigDongLong said:
    I've yet to see any provider use the term "dedicated server" for virtualized servers. It's always synonymous with bare metal. I don't think you are ready to become a provider.

Those providers that uses the term "Dedicated Server" without identifying if it's VDS or Bare Metal are mostly seen in Google, but I think that's part of their marketing tactic

Which one of them? List the site here

• TrKTrK Member

I didn't see any provider ever mentioning VDS as dedicated servers, i agree they might use something like Hybrid, semi dedicated, virtual dedicated, etc but not exactly "Dedicated Server" Also small Dedis do exist like intel atom or raspberry pi but they are still "Dedicated Servers".

• @paijrut said:

@JamesRoi said:

@BigDongLong said:

https://go4hosting.in/

This is one of the example of those providers that uses the exact term "Dedicated Server" instead of Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) and you wouldn't know it unless you purchased it and used it for your self or ask their support about it.

If they knew about it, it's a marketing strategy to get customers that's my guess...

• I'm not knowledgeable with them, so I apologize for mentioning their hosting. This is purely for discussion.

• @JamesRoi said:

@paijrut said:

@JamesRoi said:

@BigDongLong said:

This is one of the example of those providers that uses the exact term "Dedicated Server" instead of Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) and you wouldn't know it unless you purchased it and used it for your self or ask their support about it.

If they knew about it, it's a marketing strategy to get customers that's my guess...

I think you probably confused them by previous questions.

Actually looking at their site shows that despite their confusing description of a dedicated server, all the ones they list are actually dedicated: https://go4hosting.in/services/dedicated-servers

You can tell because the number of threads offered with each server matches exactly the number available from the CPU on the server.

• JamesRoiJamesRoi Member
    edited January 2023

@ralf said:

@JamesRoi said:

@paijrut said:

@JamesRoi said:

@BigDongLong said:

I think you probably confused them by previous questions.

Actually looking at their site shows that despite their confusing description of a dedicated server, all the ones they list are actually dedicated: https://go4hosting.in/services/dedicated-servers

You can tell because the number of threads offered with each server matches exactly the number available from the CPU on the server.

That's my first chat and question with them, I just searched google for "Dedicated Hosting Provider" hit some random website in random page (because 1st - 5th page are probably the neat providers)

Asked them if their Dedicated Server a VDS

Then checked the website a little bit

• I think this is also one of the issues if you outsourced your Live Chat Support without proper Knowledgebase ?

Oh well, Live Chat Supports are meant to be for those who are lazy to search the website and assist them, they are not tech supports. :#

• paijrutpaijrut Member
    edited January 2023

No, the wrong one is the one asking, or the question. You seems to be really desperate here. Just calm down, and start reading.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

The advertiser is responsible for ensuring that his advertisement is sufficiently clear and corresponds to what the client is looking for. Otherwise, the advertiser may violate the law because he is directly or indirectly trying to sell the customer something that is not the product that the customer actually wants.

Thanked by 2jsg JamesRoi
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@JamesRoi said:
    For me, Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) is a VPS that have dedicated resources.

^That - or to be more specific, a VM with dedicated vCores and possibly memory. Disks and network are (virtually always) shared though.

@rustelekom said:
    The advertiser is responsible for ensuring that his advertisement is sufficiently clear and corresponds to what the client is looking for.

Well, not to what the client is looking for but to what the client really gets.
    But anyway, I get what you mean and fully agree - in theory. In real life sadly there are lots of ugly marketing tricks played and often confusion is intended.

Thanked by 1JamesRoi
  • DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

I consider a dedicated server to be the actual hardware. A virtual dedicated server would fall under the category of VPS for me.

Thanked by 1webcraft