Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS recommendation for my particular use case.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS recommendation for my particular use case.

I'm looking for VPS with at least 32 TB of HDD storage, so I can use it as a seedbox. I want root/ssh access to the server, so I can set it up with a torrent client. Building a NAS isn't possible for me at the moment, so don't recommend that I build one. Should I contact Heztner about their Custom Solutions or get something, that meets my needs, from their Server Auction? Are there other providers that I should look into? My budget would be around 60 euros per month. I am pretty new to all this stuff, but I have a fair bit of experience in self-hosting services, so I don't think managing servers would be a problem for me. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• TrKTrK Member

@psychobacter said:
    I'm looking for VPS with at least 32 TB of HDD storage, so I can use it as a seedbox. I want root/ssh access to the server, so I can set it up with a torrent client. Building a NAS isn't possible for me at the moment, so don't recommend that I build one. Should I contact Heztner about their Custom Solutions or get something, that meets my needs, from their Server Auction? Are there other providers that I should look into? My budget would be around 60 euros per month. I am pretty new to all this stuff, but I have a fair bit of experience in self-hosting services, so I don't think managing servers would be a problem for me. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

VPS?....

Get a dedi! It's the only closest thing you can do!

• https://www.hetzner.com/sb?drives_size_from=8500&drives_size_to=16000

Is slightly over budget ...

Custom solutions are probally more expensive..

• Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • TrKTrK Member

@kait said:
    @PulsedMedia has F19-MDS-32TB https://pulsedmedia.com/managed-dediseedbox.php

What do you think @TrK ?

AFAIK they are out of stock, if they do have some stock @PulsedMedia is the perfect choice and they are cost effective too!

Thanked by 2kait PulsedMedia
  • @TrK said:

@kait said:

What do you think @TrK ?

AFAIK they are out of stock, if they do have some stock @PulsedMedia is the perfect choice and they are cost effective too!

Yup, only the smaller seedboxes are in stock.

• if you are down to experiment, there are some hosts that offer "blob storage" or additional storage you can add to a box with relatively less storage.

(disclaimer: haven't used them but sharing to illustrate) i saw for example buyvm offer such service (https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=46) where 10TB costs usd 50 per month. it is showing out of stock currently, but it allows you to mix and match as per your needs.

even with this solution, you'd have to spend tons more than your budget, and i am not sure if you will get the bandwidth allowance for filling those drives. in addition, your torrent client will have to work across several locations (directories mounted this way, that is).

• VPS?....

Looks like I have to go the dedicated server route then. What would you recommend? I want a cost-effective solution for my use-case.

• psychobacterpsychobacter Member
    edited January 2023

@eris said:
    https://www.hetzner.com/sb?drives_size_from=8500&drives_size_to=16000

A few of the servers I looked into have 1 Gbit NIC. I am assuming they will give me unlimited transfer?

• @psychobacter said:

@eris said:

A few of the servers I looked into have 1 Gbit NIC. I am assuming they will give me unlimited transfer?

250TB per month.

• @psychobacter said:

You will probably have to increase your budget if you want unlimited transfer @1Gbit.

• @rcy026 said:

@psychobacter said:

You will probably have to increase your budget if you want unlimited transfer @1Gbit.

Anything over 40 TB of transfer is fine, IG.

• @dosai said:

@psychobacter said:

@eris said:

250TB per month.

How reliable are these servers, tho? From what I understand, these are old servers, right? What can I do to increase their reliability?

• @psychobacter said:

@dosai said:

@psychobacter said:

@eris said:

250TB per month.

How reliable are these servers, tho? From what I understand, these are old servers, right? What can I do to increase their reliability?

Get their regular dedicated servers, but you have to pay setup fees.

• @psychobacter said:

@eris said:

Yes you can also upgrade to 10 Gbit for 15 euro if I am right but then you have a limit of 20TB.

• @psychobacter said:

@dosai said:

@psychobacter said:

@eris said:

250TB per month.

I have used a few in the passed for a few years without any issues. Only a few bad drives.. But replacing disks are fast and not with a lot of issues

• I have used a few in the passed for a few years without any issues. Only a few bad drives.. But replacing disks are fast and not with a lot of issues

They replace it for free, right? Should I set up some RAID configuration for redundancy?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

@kait said:

What do you think @TrK ?

Sorry not in stock and unlikely to come back neither -> These nodes are now 14 years old .... lol

They were really reaaally good, power efficient too. Like 93W each with 4x3.5" HDD and 6core Opteron. But age is starting to show, the SATA controllers are a bit slow by modern standards (modern i mean like since '12-13 lol) AND SSH encryption is updated so there's now HW accel for the encryption. Tho they were still capable of pushing that 1Gbps they have over SSH.

Energy crisis and all that stuff is one of the reasons they are out.

We have literally hundreds of these vacant, if you guys want to arrange a group buy for 1 rack of them (60 nodes, or minimum 1 full switch of 48 nodes) we'll be happy to oblige then if someone takes charge and essentially resells them. We'll make a sweet deal on it too since HW is essentially free from apart the HDDs.

I think we can afford to promise 120 of these at least immediately, depends a bit on how many fails or how many needs extensive refurbishment process. RAM is the big question, DDR2 has rather high failure rates and it is quite arduous process to test them and takes a lot of time. Like insanely labour intensive, we are talking worst cases here hours per node.

Base node therefore costs something like 30€ a pop +/- 5€, add HDDs to it. Will even allow you guys to send your own HDDs in as long as they are similarly sized and larger than 8TB. If 8TB then i'll "force" you guys to rent ours up to how much we have stock since we have hundreds of them in stock ;)
    Can also utilize limited numbers of 2.5" drives (essentially we've been using WD "Icepacks" to mount them, we have only few dozen of them in stock and zero plans to acquire more as they have become vintage priced.... as in price has increased a lot)

Group buy has to be for 6+ months since a lot of effort is manual labour to refurb, test, validate the units for new lifespan.

Otherwise, these will be disassembled during summer and sent to recyclers in favor of newer low tdp models.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @psychobacter said:

VPS?....

Looks like I have to go the dedicated server route then. What would you recommend? I want a cost-effective solution for my use-case.

At the scale you're requesting, dedicated servers are the cost effective solution

@psychobacter said:

@dosai said:

@psychobacter said:

@eris said:

250TB per month.

Depends on what hardware you get. But most of the older servers are still fairly decent. Just make sure to check the health and life of the hard drives. But overall, if you're renting then they'll handle hardware replacement in cases of failure.

You're on the right track to get a cost-effective solution. Granted your budget might not be the most realistic and you might have to increase it a little bit, but you're in the right place to try and find the most affordable solution.

• TrKTrK Member

Would love to see the new lineup @PulsedMedia don't forget to share with us!

Alternative option, take one of our miniservers and mount one of our seedboxes via SSHFS for example to it for bulk storage. You can use miniserver NVMe to cache the bulk storage for added performance too :)

We just also added docker rootless support to our seedboxes :)

@TrK said:
    Would love to see the new lineup @PulsedMedia don't forget to share with us!

Will make sure to post here anything which fits the price guidelines once we launch :)

For now it's the miniservers still beta testing small batches

@psychobacter said: My budget would be around 60 euros per month.

If you are willing to pay 60€ for the F19-MDS-32TB we can set you up with one, requirement is 3month upfront payment.
    Some will be left over as they are dedis, so during maintenance can just hook drives back to one for you.

Open sales ticket with us and let's make it happen.

• Check out Hostingbydesign. They have a Leaseweb NL dedi with E3-1230, 16GB, 4x8TB HDD for 60 eur

• Thanks for all the help, guys. I will let you guys know if I make up my mind about something or need further help.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

dedirock.com also has some good options for what you're looking for.