Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you have more than 5 VPSes, how do you manage them?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If you have more than 5 VPSes, how do you manage them?

Recently there was a discussion in community on how many VPS servers do they have.

It's like the median for LET community is 10! (which made me feel like this).

But, I was wondering, how do you even manage this many instances?! I think after 10, you'd need a SAAS or DB for mere remembering the IPs!

So you just put the IP and user in ~/.ssh/config and call it a day?
How do you manage secrets and ssh keys? (using third-party services like 1pass?)
Do you, like, set aside one VPS as a monitoring instance for others? (grafana,...)

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• Termius is a very simple SSH client that can serve as a nice little dashboard.

Hetrix Tools is free for a few server monitors.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • emghemgh Member
    edited January 2023

I will admit though, I only manage 2 VPS personally.

4 more at work, but I have removed them from my brain because I just resigned.

Thanked by 2harrison ralf
  • termius, ansible, prometheus, grafana, zabbix.

Notepad

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

Winscp, uptimerobot, hetrixtool

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @Teko said:
    Notepad

The honest answer.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@harrison said:

Yes.

How do you manage secrets and ssh keys?

I have same SSH private key on every local computer.

Each VPS has a folder of text files that contain its passwords and setup notes.
    These folders are stored in Seafile, installed on one VPS.

Do you, like, set aside one VPS as a monitoring instance for others? (grafana,...)

No, I only use UptimeRobot.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @harrison said:
    But, I was wondering, how do you even manage this many instances?! I think after 10, you'd need a SAAS or DB for mere remembering the IPs!

dns/ansible

How do you manage secrets and ssh keys? (using third-party services like 1pass?)

ssh keys are on Yubikeys (PIV), app/service secrets are in some kind of vault (Hashicorp or Azure)

one vps has Uptime-Kuma/healthchecks.io for service/jobs monitoring, telegraf/influxdb/grafana for server monitoring

provisioning and updates mostly through ansible

Thanked by 1harrison
  • I add all my VPSes to the MTPuTTY + this thing support scripts, so I don't need to type every command manually everytime.

MTPuTTY (Multi-Tabbed PuTTY) is a small utility enabling you to wrap unlimited number of PuTTY applications in one tabbed GUI interface.

Thanked by 2harrison cochon
  • wow, nice! what's the credentials for the demo site?

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @harrison said:
    Recently there was a discussion in community on how many VPS servers do they have.

It's like the median for LET community is 10! (which made me feel like this).

DNS.

My servers are only accessible from a certain jumphost. This jumphost is heavily locked down and requires 2FA and VPN. From there its ssh keys, which are distributed and revoked with a semi-automatic system of scripts.
    Coming from BSD I do not allow root login via ssh, so the root password is still typed in manually. Every vps has a unique root password that can be calculated based on the hostname if you just know how.

Yes. Or actually, several vps's. The bundles of nat vps's from Webhorizon or MrVM are excellent for monitoring. I use Icinga, Grafana and Prometheus together with a bunch of shell and python scripts to gather metrics, and I can actually look at almost any metric from whatever part of the world I want.

Thanked by 2maverick harrison
  • bdlbdl Member

keyboard

• open telnet because I keep forgetting my passwords.

• harrisonharrison Member
    edited January 2023

@rcy026 said: My servers are only accessible from a certain jumphost. This jumphost is heavily locked down and requires 2FA and VPN. From there its ssh keys, which are distributed and revoked with a semi-automatic system of scripts.

Most interesting solution so far. So your single point of failure is that VPN.
    Don't you find the 2FA being too much of a hassle? Unless you work in cybersecurity field...

• My main stack is;

• Uptimerobot (if public)
    • Zabbix (metrics)
    • Ansible
    • Terraform
    Thanked by 1harrison
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have been using hostnames like [distro][mainusage][location].domain.tld and linked to the IPv6 (or IPv4 in the very few cases where not available). For example, debtortx for debian tor texas or debtorssdfr for debian tor on the ssd dedi in france.
    I am not usually installing monitoring tools unless I have a reason for it.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @Maounique said: I have been using hostnames like [distro][mainusage][location].domain.tld and linked to the IPv6 (or IPv4 in the very few cases where not available). For example, debtortx for debian tor texas or debtorssdfr for debian tor on the ssd dedi in france.

And then you ssh debtorx.domain.tld for example? How does it resolve to your server IP?

edited January 2023

@harrison said: And then you ssh debtorx.domain.tld for example?

Yes.

@harrison said: How does it resolve to your server IP?

What do you mean? With standard DNSs, of course. I have AAAA records and I am using that method with dynamic IPv6 at my houses too through freedns.afraid.org
    No need to bypass NAT or anything.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @error12358 said:

@harrison said:

ssh keys are on Yubikeys (PIV)

Keys plural?, just wondering what your use case is for having multiple SSH keys rather than using one everywhere. I can sort of imagine a tenuous argument for that if they were file based keys, but juggling or carrying multiple hardware tokens would seem a needless hassle for no extra security.

• With my penis

• @harrison said:

@rcy026 said: My servers are only accessible from a certain jumphost. This jumphost is heavily locked down and requires 2FA and VPN. From there its ssh keys, which are distributed and revoked with a semi-automatic system of scripts.

Most interesting solution so far. So your single point of failure is that VPN.
    Don't you find the 2FA being too much of a hassle? Unless you work in cybersecurity field...

The VPN has multiple entrypoints and the jumphost is located in an ip range that I have full control over, so replacing it with a new vm and give it the same ip would not be to much hassle. The ip range in question is spread over multiple dc's and have BGP with several major providers, so you would basically have to take out my part of the world to stop me from using it. But yes, it is kind of a single point of failure. But then again, this is just my personal playground so if I cant access it, I just play with something else. :smile:

The 2FA doesn't really bother me, I usually authenticate once in the morning and then my session is open for the rest of the day so it's not really a problem. Setting up sshd to use 2FA is a 2 minute job so I have zero sympathy for people that get hacked when they allow root login from anywhere and use a simple password.
    And while security is not exactly what my title says right now, it is a very big part of everything I do. As it should be for everyone in IT.

Actually, my main concern security wise is usually the control panels of the providers. Every provider out there provides some kind of console access to your vm's accessible via their webportal, but few provides a way to really secure access to that webinterface. It does not really matter how much I harden and lock down access to my vm's if an attacker still can get console access via a webpage protected with a simple password. It kind of bugs me that this is not more of an issue in the hosting business.
    A bit off topic for this thread, but I seriously think this is something that should be discussed.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • MobaXterm with folders for organizing all of the VPS's. MobaXTerm also has a "Mutli-Exec" feature for executing mass commands all at once, but using something proper like Ansible is still way better.

UptimeRobot for notifications/alerts, it's been really solid and is very quick to report any issues.

Smokeping on a few of the instances that are from seperate providers/data centers then the rest. Helps in tracking packet loss / latency over time.

A "IP Mapping" text file with entries like
    buyvm-ma-1
    FQDN: ma-1.ft.mydomain.tld
    IP: Unprotected IP
    Private IP: Private Wireguard IP

For stuff I actually care about, I have a Wireguard mesh with one node running Grafana + VictoriaMetrics (Prometheus but much more efficient in all ways, with unlimited retention). Node-exporter and other popular exporters have Ansible roles that make them really easy to deploy.

For actually deploying/setting stuff up, I have a mix of Ansible playbooks and text files with scripts to run in them (lol). Not all of the providers I use support cloud init or some sort of automated setup, so I just stick to the latest Debian and run the same Start up script to set everything up.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @cochon said:

@error12358 said:

@harrison said:

ssh keys are on Yubikeys (PIV)

Keys plural?, just wondering what your use case is for having multiple SSH keys rather than using one everywhere. I can sort of imagine a tenuous argument for that if they were file based keys, but juggling or carrying multiple hardware tokens would seem a needless hassle for no extra security.

I'm using multiple keys (1 ssh key/yubikey, multiple yubikeys) as backup/in case they get lost or stolen. Should that happen, I just remove the lost one from authorized_keys and keep using the other ones.

Thanked by 2op23 cochon
  • Anytime I get a VPS, I put on Debian 11 and then install Proxmox and add it to my PVE cluster.

Then management is a piece of cake, all in one browser window.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

@rcy026 said:

Actually, my main concern security wise is usually the control panels of the providers. Every provider out there provides some kind of console access to your vm's accessible via their webportal, but few provides a way to really secure access to that webinterface. It does not really matter how much I harden and lock down access to my vm's if an attacker still can get console access via a webpage protected with a simple password. It kind of bugs me that this is not more of an issue in the hosting business.
    A bit off topic for this thread, but I seriously think this is something that should be discussed.

Even if someone is at that console, need to provide password to access actual system. Unless you have not left it logged as I have seen quite a few times by other admins or password is too simple, no one can help. Further you can password protect bios if you think someone can reset your password but it will be hassle to reboot server for simple task.

@stoned said: Anytime I get a VPS, I put on Debian 11 and then install Proxmox and add it to my PVE cluster.

Dafuq are you doing here? This is LET, people still use 256 MB or even 128 MB VMs, how dare you!

• @mgcAna said:
    Even if someone is at that console, need to provide password to access actual system. Unless you have not left it logged as I have seen quite a few times by other admins or password is too simple, no one can help. Further you can password protect bios if you think someone can reset your password but it will be hassle to reboot server for simple task.

Uhm, yes, but preventing login with just a password is the whole idea behind jumphosts, VPN and 2FA. We kind of left the whole a password is enough way of thinking like 15 years ago.

• @Maounique said:

@stoned said: Anytime I get a VPS, I put on Debian 11 and then install Proxmox and add it to my PVE cluster.

Dafuq are you doing here? This is LET, people still use 256 MB or even 128 MB VMs, how dare you!

Hmm... I am dangerous enough to try proxmox on a 512MB server. I'll post after I try that out one of these days.

@stoned said: Hmm... I am dangerous enough to try proxmox on a 512MB server.

in 512 MB I ran 2008 server with an 128 mb debian vm in virtualbox. That is beefy machine, bro!

• I have a bunch of CMD scripts that just ssh's into the VPS.