Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mastodon Help with Images not loading
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mastodon Help with Images not loading

chipchip Member

im having an issue im hoping someone has come across before....

i've setup mastodon (and it's working), joined some small relays

now the S3 storage (minio on a servariva storage VPS) is being written too (images are being wrote to the bucket as are the folders)

however no images at all work in mastodon... I've got to be missing something but I'm not sure what... annoyingly i've subscribed to the telegraph bot (that toot's tweets) and the image for one of those has 100% been written (it was the first image to be written after i cleared the folder)

anyone got any ideas where to look?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm flying a bit blind here but if you copy the URL for one of the images, what do you get? Is the URL direct to the minio bucket or is mastodon trying to proxy it? I've never used that setup but I think I'd try to break apart the pieces and narrow it down to exactly what part isn't functioning, I feel like that image URL would really do that.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @jar said:
    I'm flying a bit blind here but if you copy the URL for one of the images, what do you get? Is the URL direct to the minio bucket or is mastodon trying to proxy it? I've never used that setup but I think I'd try to break apart the pieces and narrow it down to exactly what part isn't functioning, I feel like that image URL would really do that.

Thanks jarr... after much messing around (quite literally hours upon hours)

The minio is on hostname:9000
    And the alias/hostname was set to hostname

So all of the images where failing... I setup nginx to proxy hostname:9000 to media.mastodonhostname and modified the mastodon config to media.mastodonhostname

Now its loading images when you click on them also the avatars and such are loading

Do you know is there a way to force a re-download of all the assets?

Thanks for your help

Joe

Thanked by 3jar HalfEatenPie Erisa
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

That I don't, but thanks for the tip. I could see myself doing a similar setup so it's nice to know what works.

Thanked by 2chip Erisa
  • xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@chip said: Do you know is there a way to force a re-download of all the assets?

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/admin/tootctl/#media-refresh

Thanked by 1chip
  • @xTom said:

@chip said: Do you know is there a way to force a re-download of all the assets?

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/admin/tootctl/#media-refresh

Ha ha.... that looks like what I want

Many thanks