Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with Paypal's layout changes -- now this may sound stupid but having trouble with it
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dealing with Paypal's layout changes -- now this may sound stupid but having trouble with it

PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

I used to print to PDF all outgoing transactions.
Makes no sense to take all of the transactions, the thousands and thousands incoming when they are automatically accounted on other reports.

But we do have varying number of outgoing too.

In the past it was easy, just choose period and choose outgoing, then print to pdf for accounting firm. Then print to pdf all those individual transactions (need the currency exchange, CC used etc. info for accounting!)

However now quite a while ago Paypal made layout changes which are ABYSMAL. They made the view small per transaction, transactions take a lot of space etc.

Then the bottom and top bars float on top and there is no proper print css implemented.

Download report is confusing AF, and let's face it, accounting firms don't hire the brightest people typically, they are mostly glorified data input monkeys. So all the extra information via reports (which can take hours to download ...) has every single type of transaction, currency exchanges on multiple lines etc. If it's a bit confusing for me at first glance, it for sure is for Joe Average who normally never deals with paypal or international transactions, many currencies etc.

So i have to spend quite a bit of effort to get the type of lists out (edit the page to remove parts to get print to pdf view) required, and using Linux as desktop paypal constantly has the captchas etc. making it slow to print to pdf. Need to eliminate as many chances for errors as possible.

This used to take only a few minutes each month ... now not so much -.-

So how do you get a simple just outgoing transactions list yourself for accounting easily these days?
We can't be the only one with this issue :)

Need to simplify stuff so i can spend more time on stuff that matters instead of bureaucracy :)

Best would be fully automated, but i don't think Paypal offers any sort of automation or API for this stuff ...

It's also funny how all of this stuff just gets klunkier year by year. Even accounting software has gotten WORSE over the past decade rather than better, and of course also more expensive ...

-Aleksi

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

I can't be the only one who absolutely hates the paypal's current interface or going through reports to get this data out?

• Maybe everyone is using API for that? :D

• Invest into proper accounting software paired with paypal.

@LTniger said:
    Invest into proper accounting software paired with paypal.

Certainly, i'll buy a multimilion business as starting point software so we can develop that :D

Joking.

We have our own country specific, with little competition, sky high prices, awful UIs...

In actuality would need to be coded from scratch (duopoly, country specific!), and at that point we should stop hosting business and only concentrate on that software development ... considering the market size that might not be bad business at all, but i don't want to start software dev business.

Even if the most popular software would have support to fetch these from Paypal it would cost something like 1.77€ per transaction, and i doubt they would do filtering to lower costs (or the filtering would cost even more)

They have SFTP support, but that costs separately too and no documentation on formats etc and not even on the pricing list, only found reference from scarce documentation. They have also API, which also costs separately and even more, if i recall right they force you to take their 1500€ training to use it ...

Took a bit of effort to find pricing sheet again, single API for single software (uh?) is 10€+2€/month ... At least for now opening it is free.

Regardless, could go that route but i don't want to be stuck with this POS software + POS company that offers it. Pretty sure there is hidden costs etc. and spending all that effort to code it instead of actual service stuff ...

To transfer say eBay invoices would cost 550€ to setup, and fineprint includes that if it's between another piece of software, another 550€. Presuming this is also per integration. Then it's also 30€ a month on top of that.

They make it confusing AF on purpose, API might be cheap, but they might want to charge you that 1100€ setup fee on top of that, and also 30€ a month since you need to create invoices inside the system for them too ...

Each invoice above certain # costs 1,77€ each, and we go quarterly over the limit because of EU VAT things. Next higher up plan choice makes overal cost even more then which might have the required number (274€ per month or 550€ per month for next step bigger plan)

Sounds small costs, but they really nickel and dime you and ultimately we have to charge customers for those costs. 1$ saved is equivalent of 2$ revenue, or however the saying goes.

/rant

Yea it sucks, looking for alternative. We just moved to this because accounting firm kept on insisting and insisting and claiming this would reduce costs. Surprise surprise, now the software alone costs as much as the whole accounting should cost.

Might just change accounting firms too. Meeting with one in a few weeks.

I've been joking that these "modern accounting software" options are so bad it's better go back to just a notebook, ruler and pen as the more cost-effective and convenient solution.

Just changing views can take a minute with current SaaS POS, and paying a invoice takes something like 15 clicks and several minutes (oh and you pay to receive it too)

• @PulsedMedia are you using Netvisor or Procountor?

Found it, SFTP connection is 550€ setup fee and non-standard XML as the format -- but fortunately each transfer makes only one single invoice in the system -- so only 1.77€ fee.

But they keep promising mostly API For free, REST with JSON. Tho elsewhere it talks about data transfer connection, so might still be 550€ fee to open the SFTP.

For buy invoices a new invoice has to be created for each one (no different from current), then i would have to figure out a way to manually tie in different types of purchases per vendor (all of the places we buy from and all the services we buy), and ultimately still for some manually upload the actual emailed invoices ...

@heiska said:
    @PulsedMedia are you using Netvisor or Procountor?

Procountor.

Got seriosly sidetracked there.

Just need easy way to get transactions of paypal, rest can a glorified data input monkey input and when that takes too much effort then API for whatever software we are using at that point.

Looks like my best bet is to code against Paypal API with PHP and then just generate a PDF from those, with proposed account numbers based receiver and accountant can check if they are correct, match them to the invoices.

• @PulsedMedia said:

@LTniger said:

Certainly, i'll buy a multimilion business as starting point software so we can develop that :D

Joking.

We have our own country specific, with little competition, sky high prices, awful UIs...

In actuality would need to be coded from scratch (duopoly, country specific!), and at that point we should stop hosting business and only concentrate on that software development ... considering the market size that might not be bad business at all, but i don't want to start software dev business.

Even if the most popular software would have support to fetch these from Paypal it would cost something like 1.77€ per transaction, and i doubt they would do filtering to lower costs (or the filtering would cost even more)

They have SFTP support, but that costs separately too and no documentation on formats etc and not even on the pricing list, only found reference from scarce documentation. They have also API, which also costs separately and even more, if i recall right they force you to take their 1500€ training to use it ...

Took a bit of effort to find pricing sheet again, single API for single software (uh?) is 10€+2€/month ... At least for now opening it is free.

Regardless, could go that route but i don't want to be stuck with this POS software + POS company that offers it. Pretty sure there is hidden costs etc. and spending all that effort to code it instead of actual service stuff ...

To transfer say eBay invoices would cost 550€ to setup, and fineprint includes that if it's between another piece of software, another 550€. Presuming this is also per integration. Then it's also 30€ a month on top of that.

They make it confusing AF on purpose, API might be cheap, but they might want to charge you that 1100€ setup fee on top of that, and also 30€ a month since you need to create invoices inside the system for them too ...

Each invoice above certain # costs 1,77€ each, and we go quarterly over the limit because of EU VAT things. Next higher up plan choice makes overal cost even more then which might have the required number (274€ per month or 550€ per month for next step bigger plan)

Sounds small costs, but they really nickel and dime you and ultimately we have to charge customers for those costs. 1$ saved is equivalent of 2$ revenue, or however the saying goes.

/rant

Yea it sucks, looking for alternative. We just moved to this because accounting firm kept on insisting and insisting and claiming this would reduce costs. Surprise surprise, now the software alone costs as much as the whole accounting should cost.

I've been joking that these "modern accounting software" options are so bad it's better go back to just a notebook, ruler and pen as the more cost-effective and convenient solution.

Just changing views can take a minute with current SaaS POS, and paying a invoice takes something like 15 clicks and several minutes (oh and you pay to receive it too)

Hehe, maybe it is time for you to think a humane alternative to your country accounting software? Itis clearly lacking in quality and modernisation.

@LTniger said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@LTniger said:

Joking.

/rant

Hehe, maybe it is time for you to think a humane alternative to your country accounting software? Itis clearly lacking in quality and modernisation.

All the common ones are more or less this ... some opt for revenue based billing even

found all the APIs etc. and chatting with accountants etc. finally found many alternatives to ProCountor too which is the most shittiest SaaS i've ever used :)

Just the type of software which does not get much public attention, there is actually 15 different options.

These are rather sticky too because it costs thousands of euros to move from one system to another generally, and you loose long term stats etc. when you do that (ie. no migration scripts exists -- or would cost too much to open the connections to do that because walled garden)

Time to crunch some code and get this solved, remove human factor from the equation to eliminate errors :)