Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any LET providers offering annual plans for CDN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any LET providers offering annual plans for CDN?

I like the pricing model that we get for shared hosting by the providers here on LET. Is there a CDN provider with annual plans comparable to shared hosting?

So what I am looking for is a CDN service that will have bandwidth allotted to different PoPs (regions) and if any region exceeds the monthly quota then automatically the CDN service will use the nearest other PoP with available quota.

I may eventually opt for a pay-as-you-go provider like bunny.net. But I am interested in a shared hosting kind of plan but for CDN. The monthly plans provided by cloudflare is too expensive for me right now.

Comments

• TrKTrK Member

CF also Got a free plan :/ and you can try gcorelab or something they also got a free plan with limited bandwidth quota.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @TrK said:
    CF also Got a free plan :/ and you can try gcorelab or something they also got a free plan with limited bandwidth quota.

I've tried free cdn plans but found my shared hosting to perform better. Are there no resellers of premium CDN?

• TrKTrK Member

@mekr said:

@TrK said:

I've tried free cdn plans but found my shared hosting to perform better. Are there no resellers of premium CDN?

Your best bet is with bunny cdn pay as you go, and if you are really finding your shared hosting performance better than cdn then just stick with it and use cdn only for static content.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

From what I can tell, it's not worth trying to sell a "budget CDN" because the market just isn't there and most people are fine with a single or limited anycast server (like what BuyVM offers). There's no real "premium CDN". If you do need a CDN, then you already have cheap plans like Bunny or other solutions that there's no room for a "super budget CDN".

So yeah just go with bunny

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    From what I can tell, it's not worth trying to sell a "budget CDN" because the market just isn't there and most people are fine with a single or limited anycast server (like what BuyVM offers). There's no real "premium CDN". If you do need a CDN, then you already have cheap plans like Bunny or other solutions that there's no room for a "super budget CDN".

With technologies like Wasm etc. CDN will be needed more. Traditionally, CDN has been associated with media, or standard css/js libraries. My requirement for a CDN is to load a heavy custom JS (~5MB) to render the site.

Bunny was a good option until they put a minimum monthly charges. It makes sense if the site is monetized.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

@mekr said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

With technologies like Wasm etc. CDN will be needed more. Traditionally, CDN has been associated with media, or standard css/js libraries. My requirement for a CDN is to load a heavy custom JS (~5MB) to render the site.

Bunny was a good option until they put a minimum monthly charges. It makes sense if the site is monetized.

The minimum monthly charge is only $1 for an entire account, it's very negligible in comparison to some of the bigger players who typically do $50/m as a minimum.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 2023

@mekr said: Bunny was a good option until they put a minimum monthly charges. It makes sense if the site is monetized.

So I have an amazing news for you - they dropped monthly charges months ago and you can use it again ^.-

// At least for grandfathered accounts -> https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175036/bunny-net-removes-the-top-up-criteria-and-account-credit-is-for-lifetime-now/p1

Thanked by 1mekr
  • @speedypage said:

The minimum monthly charge is only $1 for an entire account, it's very negligible in comparison to some of the bigger players who typically do $50/m as a minimum.

I used the Bunny pricing calculator. Just allotting 50 GB to each of the regions (i.e. EU/NA, Asia/Oceania, South America, ME & Africa) the cost is over $7 per month for 200 GB. Which i think is not considered low end here.

• So that is about 35 dollar / TB

That is a decent price for CDN. Aws calculates at least 100 dollar for 1 /TB with S3

• I think there is a need for a budget CDN. How come some providers here can provide so much bandwidth even double the bandwidth. Bunny charges $2 per month even for EU/NA traffic of just 200 GB.

• TrKTrK Member

@mekr said:
    I think there is a need for a budget CDN. How come some providers here can provide so much bandwidth even double the bandwidth. Bunny charges $2 per month even for EU/NA traffic of just 200 GB.

What are expecting then? free lollipop? bandwidth is costly it's already enough that some are giving some for free while some like bunny charges you a minimal in comparison. Can also try vanwa for cdn although i can't vouch for them at all.

Thanked by 2bgerard Pwner
  • @TrK said:

What are expecting then? free lollipop? bandwidth is costly it's already enough that some are giving some for free while some like bunny charges you a minimal in comparison. Can also try vanwa for cdn although i can't vouch for them at all.

Nobody is asking for free lollipop otherwise cloudflare is there. Take a look at this estimate. https://ibb.co/L98T7bw

A reseller can take advantage of the volume tier that is 1/7th the standard tier.

• TrKTrK Member
    edited January 2023

@mekr said:

@TrK said:

Nobody is asking for free lollipop otherwise cloudflare is there. Take a look at this estimate. https://ibb.co/L98T7bw

A reseller can take advantage of the volume tier that is 1/7th the standard tier.

And i highly doubt there is any reseller for the same! Just try Gcore they also have 140 POPs(no idea if its real or not) and get yourself a 1TB monthly CDN! With bunny only middle eastern and afrikan bandwidth is costly rest is not that costly and with caching for static content(mainly for css and js) i doubt you will reach 100GB altogether in start!

• TrKTrK Member
    edited January 2023

And that volume tier is limited to 8 POPs you can select that while creating your zone!

Thanked by 1mekr
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

How about this question. What are you trying to complete with a CDN then?

The only reason I ask is because if you think of it "just because" then it might make sense that a "budget CDN" should be a thing. But a CDN means you're just offloading your content delivery to someone else to handle. But if they're really "budget" then how effective are they going to be? If you're only looking at the price point then what makes it actually attractive for them to spend their time to make it profitable? I know people probably think about economy of scale but the question is to what extent is that actually useful to be viable? What other alternatives are there to make more $$$ without having to spend that much trying to squeeze a few more juice out of it?

Even ignoring the financial side, there's different decision parameters that goes into building that threshold that helps someone decide if they're going to use a CDN vs a single server. In my opinion, the space between a single server vs current CDN networks on the market is pretty small and there's no real space for a "budget CDN" to live there and actually make a valuable contribution (imho).

@mekr said: With technologies like Wasm etc. CDN will be needed more. Traditionally, CDN has been associated with media, or standard css/js libraries. My requirement for a CDN is to load a heavy custom JS (~5MB) to render the site.

This doesn't change anything. You're making an argument that demand will increase because of X, Y, and Z new technology requirements but I don't think that really increases demand as much as you think it does within your definition of the "budget space". Your statement only makes an argument from a technology perspective but not from an actual business perspective. The budget space lives between the previous "tier" of technology and as a bridge to the next level based on requirement of uses. The threshold of "budget" and "premium" is a pretty bullshit line anyways to begin with. Imho Bunny already satisfies this requirement within their space by minimizing the cost of entry into this pretty significantly, to almost insignificant levels. But it's already a tech that requires some capital to begin with (deploying servers in various geographic regions + software). So that's why I don't think a cheaper CDN than bunny doesn't make much sense right now nor will you find anything that satisfies this requirement at a cheaper price.

Edit: It also seems this "budget space" CDN requirement is already covered for free by Amazon's Cloudfront: https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/

Included in Always Free Tier
    1 TB of data transfer out per month
    10,000,000 HTTP or HTTPS Requests per month
    2,000,000 CloudFront Function invocations per month
    Free SSL cerificates
    No limitations, all features available

I really don't think your argument works at all.

• mekrmekr Member
    edited January 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:

I really don't think your argument works at all.

I am quite sure budget CDN at the price point (maybe 2X) of shared hosting will come up sooner than later. My reason is simple.

Newer web technologies tend to create a large bundle size. Need for a CDN is more than ever since the website won't render until the javascript loads.

Regarding the price point my reasoning is that let's say we want to build our own hacky CDN using 3 shared hosting plans covering 3 regions (US, Europe, Asia). That would cost 3X the shared hosting price. So instead if I could use a single shared hosting and a CDN, I am willing to pay 2X for CDN.

My understanding is that a premium CDN offers more number of PoPs and additional services like DDoS, page rules, etc. A budget CDN could just offer content delivery.

Edit: Regarding using Amazon's free tier my question is why there exists mxroute when there is a free tier provided by many. I guess people are willing to pay fixed charge if priced right.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited January 2023

Not that easy to operate a budget cdn, I would say it's impossible, you need to hire tons of engineers when your product has reached a larger threshold of users, it's not just about the bandwidth cost, it's going to be ugly when something malfunctions and you have no idea where in your ecosystem the problem is originating from, all that and customers are paying peanuts for your service so you have to cut down by utilising automation & hiring just the minimal amount of engineers at basic salary (you will have high turnover rate for the role), also there is the headache of renting servers and dealing with slow support of some providers out there when some of your nodes are down due to hardware issues. Also, your engineers would be working most of their time on improving the product but the high turnover rate would make it slow cause issues/problems will pop up daily & they would also be overworked as support staff cause you can't afford support staff as your company would not be earning anything if you did hire any.

Adding up everything, you are not earning much but have salaries and server costs to manage, you would need to be a rich guy in the first place to attempt this, any startup with a plan to build a budget cdn that reaps peanuts in terms of income will have a hard time attracting investors to raise capital.

Edit - I would say its 20x easier and more worth your time running a hosting company, the ecosystem exists in the wild for anyone to start a hosting company.

• mekrmekr Member
    edited January 2023

Depends on what all services you're planning to provide. DDoS protection, streaming, transcoding, etc. sure requires a lot of engineering.

CDN at its core is content delivery from the nearest location. Shouldn't be difficult to build and operate using some GeoDNS API and content replication strategy.

Bunny is nice but is it the MXroute equivalent of Cloudflare? What I was looking for is annual plan for CDN without the additional services that I won't use.

Perhaps the market for that is not huge so nobody is looking into it. But it will happen soon!

• I mean if you think that way, by all means set up one yourself, there is a reason why nobody is doing it, if you think cdn market is not huge, everyone and their grandfather requires cdn now, even the nodes themselves requires serious ddos protection, that also can be a point of failure. It will never happen, bunny is already the mxroute of cloudflare if we dont take to account cloudflare's free plan.