Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cloudflare really the cheapest registrar as they claim?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Cloudflare really the cheapest registrar as they claim?

Cloudflare says that their registrar sells domains "at cost", which would suggest that they don't make any profit so the domains would be cheapest. Is this really the case or are you aware of cheaper registrars? Which one do you use?

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

As far as I'm aware, they never claimed to be the cheapest.

Customers pay what they're paying, which is at-cost pricing for both registrations and renewals.

Thanked by 2the_doctor Erisa
  • ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Cloudflare claims they only charge what ICANN charge them . But other registrar sometimes offer at low price to gain customer

Thanked by 3the_doctor kait Pwner
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

My personal rank price wise:
    1) Cloudflare cheaper than the rest for a renewal unless certain offer like $1 per year registration of domain name registration is available elsewhere.
    2) Porkbun
    3) Namesilo
    4) Namecheap or Godaddy as the price is higher than the rest

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Cloudflare doesn't let you change the domain's nameservers, so you're actually paying for an inferior domain-like product. That's the bottom line.

Thanked by 3jlet88 MannDude Pwner
  • @inland said:
    Cloudflare doesn't let you change the domain's nameservers, so you're actually paying for an inferior domain-like product. That's the bottom line.

Did not know that. Thank you for that info.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

A lotta people here are forgetting OpenProvider, who sells domains at wholesale pricing but you have to pay a membership fee.

Thanked by 1dev077
  • gandi.net makes about 40% discount to Ubuntu members

• hackermanhackerman Member
    edited January 2023

@inland said:
    Cloudflare doesn't let you change the domain's nameservers, so you're actually paying for an inferior domain-like product. That's the bottom line.

source: https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/domain-registration-agreement/

6.1 Nameservers. Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @DP said: As far as I'm aware, they never claimed to be the cheapest

correct. they are wholesale registrar. So prices are cheaper. But not cheapest if we compare with limited-time promo on different TLDs by other registrars. But, if one wants exact same price of renewal, then cloudflare is better.

• @inland said:

We differ a lot in opinions.
    I see it as you are paying less that includes a TOP TOP tier DNS service.
    Anyway my domains will point to CF if it is a serious project.

• emgemg Veteran

I transferred my domains to Cloudflare last summer. It lowered my domain renewal fees to Cloudflare's "renewal at cost". I use Cloudflare's free domain services and the required free DNS services, but no other Cloudflare services.

If you switch to Cloudflare free domain services, you must:

• Use Cloudflare's DNS server as the authoritative DNS server for your domains.
    • Use a private registration. Your domains will not have a public whois under the free plan.

You can bypass those Cloudflare requirements if you have an expensive paid account. Very expensive.

Some providers have sales or special offers for new domains and domain transfers at much lower costs than what they pay to ICANN. I have seen offers as low as $1 for a new domain or transfer, and they are not uncommon. The domain registrars lose money but gain customers. They hope that you will stay with them long enough that they can make up their losses through profits from future renewal fees. Those renewal fees will be higher than Cloudflare's "at cost" renewals.

You can "cheat the system" by moving your domains from one registrar to another when you see one of those special transfer deals. Some people bounce their domains around from one registrar to another to take advantage of those deals. Despite ICANN's rules and regulations, some registrars make it difficult to transfer domains away from them.

Taking advantage of special offers coupled with the hassles and risks of domain transfers are more effort for me than it is worth, so I switched to Cloudflare's "at cost" renewals. Cloudflare is good enough for me and I am willing to accept the DNS requirement in return for reliable lower renewal fees.

Thanked by 4Erisa jlet88 tototo Pwner