Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί WordPress and VPN on same VPS server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordPress and VPN on same VPS server

kidrockkidrock Member
edited January 2023 in General

Can I host a WordPress website and also install a Wireguard VPN (for my personal use) on the same KVM VPS server? Is this fine or are there any cons?

Comments

• Yeah like the IP becoming shit at some point which screws your site.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @AuroraZero said:
    Yeah like the IP becoming shit at some point which screws your site.

But what if I use Cloudflare for the website, thus proxying server ip through Cloudflare?

• @kidrock said:

@AuroraZero said:
    Yeah like the IP becoming shit at some point which screws your site.

But what if I use Cloudflare for the website, thus proxying server ip through Cloudflare?

Still the backend IP can get chunked and what happens when it is blacklisted? What does cloudflare do when someone or something tries to connect to a site and can't?

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @kidrock said:
    Can I host a WordPress website and also install a Wireguard VPN (for my personal use) on the same KVM VPS server? Is this fine or are there any cons?

While you technically can do this, it wouldn't be a good idea.

As others have said, it's important to keep that IP clean for hosting your WordPress site in case it needs to send out emails or be a trusted address for users browsing the internet.

Using the same server for a personal VPN and web hosting is a bad mix because if you do something to get that IP blacklisted, it will affect your website as well with users being warned or blocked due to public blacklists marking your IP as bad.

For a personal VPN, you get a cheap VPS (doesn't need to be a KVM since a VPN for your personal use wont require dedicated resources) and run it through there without needing to risk anything with your WordPress site (or you can host the WordPress site on a shared hosting environment if it's lightweight enough).

Would you put a toilet in the same room as your bed? You could, and I'm sure it would make things convenient. But then you also risk getting nasty germs and bacteria in your bed and everywhere else every time that toilet flushes, which is why you have the bathroom and bedroom separated. Don't shit where you sleep.

• @Pwner said:

@kidrock said:

As others have said, it's important to keep that IP clean for hosting your WordPress site in case it needs to send out emails or be a trusted address for users browsing the internet.

Using the same server for a personal VPN and web hosting is a bad mix because if you do something to get that IP blacklisted, it will affect your website as well with users being warned or blocked due to public blacklists marking your IP as bad.

For a personal VPN, you get a cheap VPS (doesn't need to be a KVM since a VPN for your personal use wont require dedicated resources) and run it through there without needing to risk anything with your WordPress site (or you can host the WordPress site on a shared hosting environment if it's lightweight enough).

Would you put a toilet in the same room as your bed? You could, and I'm sure it would make things convenient. But then you also risk getting nasty germs and bacteria in your bed and everywhere else every time that toilet flushes, which is why you have the bathroom and bedroom separated. Don't shit where you sleep.

Thank you for explaining that much better then I was able.

Thanked by 2Pwner kidrock
  • @kidrock said:

Assuming that your personal use isn't anything nefarious, and the site does not contain anything that will get its address blocked anywhere you care about, I don't see any problem with that.

Just be aware that any reputation assigned to the public IP address will be shared with both uses. For instance, if you send your mail over the VPN and the wordpress site sends mail (to subscribed views for instance), if either your local systems or the site get hacked to send spam then both uses will carry the reputational risk (and start getting blocked by filters). Ignoring mail, if you miss a security update and wordpress is infiltrated as a result and starts trying to spread the attack elsewhere, the address could be blocked in numerous places by being on lists of malicious locations, affecting your access to things on the VPN.

thus proxying server ip through Cloudflare?

The (small) risk I see is more regarding outgoing connections, not so much incoming ones.

Thanked by 2kidrock Jake4
  • pbxpbx Member

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: The (small) risk I see is more regarding outgoing connections, not so much incoming ones.

At worse send mail using an external service and you're good to go.
    If you use CF your IP reputation won't have any importance, @kidrock .

Anyway the VPN use could be not illegal/nasty and not bring anything negative to your IP (it would be dumb to use it for spamming or shit like that).

The main drawback I see is privacy. If somebody knows that your site is hosted on this ip while looking for information on this IP, he will be able to do the link between the actions of this IP (seeding something, publishing comments or posts, etc) and your website, maybe you. If you use CF (better with cloudflared and everything blocked!) and a way to send emails that don't leak your IP, this is a non problem, though.

Security could be an issue as well, if a badly configured VPN makes it easier for an attacker to get access to your server.

On the server side you can isolate each use by using lxc...

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • IMO never a good idea to mix purposes to this degree of your server. Many reasons listed already.

The primary reason why some people attempt to mix purposes like this is to save money of course. And that's understandable in this world we live in with ever increasing costs and financial stress, etc. Very understandable.

If that's the reason in your case, I'd suggest looking at other cost-savings and budget management options to save money in other areas if possible so that you can allocate enough money to get a second VPS.

And with all the great VPN options out there, it makes a lot of sense to consider using a third party VPN anyway, instead of hosting it yourself. But if you need to host your own VPN, definitely get a separate VPS to do it with. Good luck!

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • didtavdidtav Member
    edited January 2023

lol of course you can do that 🀣
    my friend also use his VPS for remote desktop, editing and rendering videos, VPN, hosting websites and blogs, All in One VPS.
    the VPS is strong enough to do all that, so why not?

he thinks people who just idle their VPS for just hosting websites that barely has visitor has no sense at all.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @didtav said:
    lol of course you can do that 🀣

Of course you can do it, but the OP was also asking if there were any cons. Lots of cons have been pointed out, but only one good reason to do it, which is to save money. And that is of course very understandable. We all want to save money. So then you evaluate if those cons are worth saving money, and if the answer is yes, then go for it. :)

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Recipe for disaster as a few people have already pointed out.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @kidrock said: WordPress website and also install a Wireguard VPN (for my personal use)

for strictly personal use, yes. you can. but it may hammer the cpu/ram when you watch live streaming through vpn. Best way, buy 2 vps and keep wordpress separate!

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • UserjustUserjust Member
    edited January 2023

@Pwner said:

@kidrock said:

Hello, I'm also interested in author's question, what if I setup personal VPN on VPS that planned to use like server and used it (VPN) for site for 1-2 sites like Youtube etc. and after that delete OVPN / OpenVPN files from local PC and from server, reinstall Ubuntu and after that use the same VPS (with the same IP) just for hosting site. Is it okay or once I used VPN (for few sites that blocked in to connect without it) I can't use it for site or should I do anything else? And how to check if site not in a public blacklist? Thanks

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @Userjust said:
    Hello, I'm also interested in author's question, what if I setup personal VPN on VPS that planned to use like server and used it (VPN) for site for 1-2 sites like Youtube etc. and after that delete OVPN / OpenVPN files from local PC and from server, reinstall Ubuntu and after that use the same VPS (with the same IP) just for hosting site. Is it okay or once I used VPN (for few sites that blocked in to connect without it) I can't use it for site or should I do anything else? And how to check if site not in a public blacklist? Thanks

There are a number of websites you can check to see if your IP is clean, this one is a popular one that goes through a compiled list of known blacklist providers: https://dnschecker.org/ip-blacklist-checker.php

Fundamentally, there's nothing stopping you from using a VPS for one thing, then cleaning it and reinstalling the OS from scratch to do something else. Only concern is really if that IP gets blacklisted for whatever reasons (spam, abuse, etc.), then you'll have problems using it for anything.

In general, it's best to separate these types of services on different VPSes whenever you can. If you're just using it to learn different things, such as setting up an Apache web server or creating a VPN server, then it's fine.

However, if you plan on using it for production purposes later on, such as using that same server to host a website that you intend to make money off of, then you'll run the risk of the IP's reputation being bad and causing you issues with the rest of the internet. If your IP address has a bad reputation, you will find problems when trying to communicate across the internet, such as sending out an email from that web server, or users getting warned by their web security/antivirus that your website isn't trusted and gets blocked due to a bad reputation history that is associated with the IP address.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • I have been running 20+ wordpress sites, email, plex, nextcloud AND wireguard on a single server for years. Never had a issue

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @Snusboks said:
    I have been running 20+ wordpress sites, email, plex, nextcloud AND wireguard on a single server for years. Never had a issue

Isn't that heavy for a VPS server? What are the resources of the server?

• @kidrock said:

@Snusboks said:
    I have been running 20+ wordpress sites, email, plex, nextcloud AND wireguard on a single server for years. Never had a issue

Shouldn't the question rather be what is the complexity and popularity of the services used? You could run 200+ low traffic sites and single user stream 720p plex off a very small VPS.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

Can be done with two separate IPv4 addresses, people winging here about abuse of IPv4 address that OP WordPress SEO will be ruined πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ what about NAT VPS services where one IPv4 address is shared with more just a few VPS machines and separated by port number only.

To OP depends on your usage, yes it’s possible to use WordPress and VPN on the same VPS, make sure your IPv4 address is not blacklisted by your VPN usage.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • If both WP and VPN are for personal usage, and budget is tight - I don't see why you shouldn't do it. Yes there are some cons, but there's a 99% chance everything will work fine and you won't have issues. CloudFlare in front of the domain is a very good idea especially for your use case.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

you can use "n" number of "x" things together till the ports and apps don't interfere with each other and till the resources permit

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @kidrock said:

@Snusboks said:

Not really, i run all this (and some more) on a netcup RS1000.

Thanked by 1kidrock