Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[NetBoot] [AlmaLinux 9.1] Install Error
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[NetBoot] [AlmaLinux 9.1] Install Error

Hiya, I am trying to install AlmaLinux 9.1 via Netboot. It starts fine, but fails at this stage.

I am unable to understand what is causing the failure. Currently, netboot.xyz is the only iso available to use in SolvusVM.

Any suggestions/ thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

Bug in QEMU/Proxmox/likely SolusVM
    Load other OS and check if Hypervisor gives you hardware specs of the CPU, if not and its some "generic name" then that's it.

https://access.redhat.com/discussions/6959360

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited January 2023

@treesmokah said:
    Bug in QEMU/Proxmox/likely SolusVM
    Load other OS and check if Hypervisor gives you hardware specs of the CPU, if not and its some "generic name" then that's it.

https://access.redhat.com/discussions/6959360

I see. I am not in front of my system so will reinstall later.

Just in case that's the issue what are my options?

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited January 2023

How much memory do you have? Looks like curl is dying prematurely trying to download the rootfs due to lack of space, hence why the mount command for the rootfs is failing (since the squashfs image is corrupt).

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @jmgcaguicla said:
    How much memory do you have? Looks like curl is dying prematurely trying to download the rootfs due to lack of space, hence why the mount command for the rootfs is failing (since the squashfs image is corrupt).

1.1gb RAM and 20 gb ssd

• @jmgcaguicla said:

Oh yea, I assumed it was a kernel panic and did not read a full log.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @plumberg said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

1.1gb RAM and 20 gb ssd

Minimum of 2GB of RAM.
    Minimum of 1 GHz Dual-core processor.
    20 GB of free hard disk space.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @treesmokah said:

@plumberg said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

1.1gb RAM and 20 gb ssd

Minimum of 2GB of RAM.
    Minimum of 1 GHz Dual-core processor.
    20 GB of free hard disk space.

Well I have been able to install 9.1 on 1gb ram and 10gb disks while using direct AlmaLinux iso. Infact I was able to complete 1 last week.

Beats me why this is failing here

edited January 2023

@plumberg said:
    Well I have been able to install 9.1 on 1gb ram and 10gb disks while using direct AlmaLinux iso. Infact I was able to complete 1 last week.

The difference is you're entirely using RAM here even for the rootfs (application memory + files) as opposed to not having to load all those files into memory and being able to read stuff on-demand when booting off an ISO.

Even if you manage to squeeze that 688M rootfs and successfully boot; shit, will more than likely, hit the fan once dnf/whatever package manager that thing uses starts doing its thing.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @jmgcaguicla said:

@plumberg said:

The difference is you're entirely using RAM here even for the rootfs (application memory + files) as opposed to not having to load all those files into memory and being able to read stuff on-demand when booting off an ISO.

Even if you manage to squeeze that 688M rootfs and successfully boot; shit, will more than likely, hit the fan once dnf/whatever package manager that thing uses starts doing its thing.

With another provider, 1gb ram was good to install via netboot...
    Yes I hear ya"ll that it's low memory... but I am trying to see what my options are... 🤔

• @plumberg said:

Yes I hear ya"ll that it's low memory... but I am trying to see what my options are... 🤔

Open support ticket to mount ISO of your choice ?

Thanked by 1plumberg
    edited January 2023

@plumberg said:

What is it really? first time you say while using direct AlmaLinux iso, then now you say you used netboot; netboot.xyz doesn't use an ISO, it uses a rootfs (which may or may not be as large as the ISO).

Install on a VM locally, dump disk image over ssh or ask them to mount the ISO for you.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @jmgcaguicla said:

@plumberg said:

What is it really?.

Currently it fails via netboot with the shown error.
    With 1gb ram

Using iso, works flawlessly (with another provider).

I'll try to see if they can add the iso directly...

• @tenji said:

@plumberg said:

This seems a low priority task. So let's see I'll ticket and wait for a turnaround...

• @plumberg said:

@tenji said:

@plumberg said:

This seems a low priority task. So let's see I'll ticket and wait for a turnaround...

Its not a low priority task if its the only way for You to use your Box.
    Depends on the provider, but I bet they will be more than willing to help you out.

Thanked by 1plumberg
    edited January 2023

@plumberg said:
    Currently it fails via netboot with the shown error.
    With 1gb ram

Using iso, works flawlessly (with another provider).

See, that's what I'm telling you that you don't seem to be grasping, netboot-ing with netboot.xyz is not the same as booting off a mounted ISO.

The "it should work here since it worked on another provider with even less RAM" claim is not valid because you're not doing the same thing.

Anyway, people have already given you advice; should be enough to get you going in some form or another.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • As others have said, netboot.xyz requires more RAM than a dedicated ISO, so if insufficient RAM is an issue, it's best to use a dedicated ISO

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @angstrom said: best to use a dedicated ISO

Or change provider..

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Or use minimum required specs.

• @TimboJones said:
    Or use minimum required specs.

Yeh it works fine once installed with low memory. The recommended is just a number considering lots of things.

Have put in a ticket for now. Waiting for iso to be mounted directly.