Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand this email from Hostens.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me understand this email from Hostens.

MerlincoolMerlincool Member
edited January 2023 in General

Hi

I have been using my vps with hostens since 2019 and has been great so far. Recently I received an email from hostens regarding price rise.

My service is due renewal this week.

I bought vps back in 2019, following Image has details.

Price rise is too much almost hitting 9.5x times.

First Price without Discount was - $323.76 USD
Now New Price without discount is - 3072.00 USD (Price in image is after applying discount)

I am unable to understand drafted language of email. Doesnt that clearly states if I wish to have services with existing prices, I should renew vps before 9th Jan 2023. And New Prices Will only apply post my service expires or any further renewals post 9th January 2023.

Comments

• Only if you could talk with the company directly rather than asking some randoms on LET...

• @JabJab said:
    Only if you could talk with the company directly rather than asking some randoms on LET...

I did but they said prices will be according to new prices, which I think in email they clearly stated that it will be post 9th January 2023.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Well from 9 Jan new pricing will be applicable so you can renew at same price before 9 Jan .

Thanked by 1Merlincool
  • @ManishPant said:
    Well from 9 Jan new pricing will be applicable so you can renew at same price before 9 Jan .

I said same thing to support but they refuse to accept it and they said I will have to renew at new price. This is same thing I told them and asked for help to fix my price to older one, which they refuse to do.

• @Merlincool said:

@ManishPant said:

I said same thing to support but they refuse to accept it and they said I will have to renew at new price. This is same thing I told them and asked for help to fix my price to older one, which they refuse to do.

Then that is your answer they refused to do it. So you can either move or pay them.

• @Merlincool said:

@ManishPant said:

Their wording implies that if you wish to renew it before 1/9/23, you will be charged at the same right. Verbatim:
    If you'd like to renew at the CURRENT rates, you CAN do so UNTIL 9 Janurary 2023.
    So I presume if you where to renew between now and the 8th you should be charged at your current rate.
    If support is refusing to honor this, have them escalate as their wording implies you can still pay your current rate til your service expires, which I presume is on the 9th. Your next renewal will probably have that sweet extra 0 appended to it. So perhaps take a chance to use this to trial other hosts and move on.

Thanked by 1Merlincool
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@Merlincool said:
    Price rise is too much almost hitting 9.5x times.

First Price without Discount was - $323.76 USD
    Now New Price without discount is - 3072.00 USD (Price in image is after applying discount)

why not shop around and find alternative for such price? $13.49 per month (without discount is great budget) or get dedicated server at $128 per month (new price)

• Right!

If your pricing is hiked 850% with excuse that there's 10% yearly inflation and that affects... yadda, yadda... your only right answer is:

a) backup immediately
    b) as soon as you have safe backup, cancel the service
    c) look for another provider and do whatever needs to be done to migrate there as quickly as possible (yeah, lots of work in some cases, but...)

Unfortunately, despite you being loyal customer, they obviously don't care about you at all and actually want you to leave ASAP. So, just obey.

Thanked by 1Red08
  • cmeerwcmeerw Member
    edited January 2023

Have you checked their terms and conditions (what they say about price rises and information about price rises for renewals)? (edit: as they sent that email almost a month ago, you should already have left by now)

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • @Merlincool said: Price rise is too much almost hitting 9.5x times.

somebody's gonna get wiped off with the chargeback volume

• Welp 150% price increase is bad.. Sucks for you mate. If you believe specs are worth 100+$ try working with provider again for some discount. If not you can always replace them. :)

• Does anyone bothered to look at screenshot op provided? There is due date set to 2025. So, sit tight and enjoy service until then. On 2025 price will be updated, of course if hostens still be operational.

• @LTniger said:
    Does anyone bothered to look at screenshot op provided? There is due date set to 2025. So, sit tight and enjoy service until then. On 2025 price will be updated, of course if hostens still be operational.

Right, because biannual payment on 9th january

• @LTniger said: screenshot op provided

This is his billing invoice before price change. Its from 2023 to 2025. So if he pays now he will pay the price shown in screenshot. If he pays after 9th his price would be 3072 instead 1228

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @emperor said:

@LTniger said: screenshot op provided

This is his billing invoice before price change. Its from 2023 to 2025. So if he pays now he will pay the price shown in screenshot. If he pays after 9th his price would be 3072 instead 1228

I think he's pointing out that prior to paying renewal, the webGUI should have said next due date was Jan 9, 2023. The screenshot shows "service details", not a recently paid invoice.

• @emperor said: This is his billing invoice before price change. Its from 2023 to 2025. So if he pays now he will pay the price shown in screenshot. If he pays after 9th his price would be 3072 instead 1228

yes! this seems to be correct. New pricing for invoice will apply after 9th.
    renew any/all services before 9th at current rates. this is what that email says.

• He doesn't say what specs he's got, but given that specs tend to get better over time, I'd imagine that whatever he got for €13.49 per month 6 years ago might well be better value for similar specs elsewhere now anyway.

More so, it seems that the current (pre-increase price, from what I can tell from the screenshot) works out at €51.20 per month, and if so then he could surely find a dedi that's better than a 6-year old VPS for that.

Unless, of course, this was some monster VPS from a promotion.

• @ralf said:
    He doesn't say what specs he's got, but given that specs tend to get better over time, I'd imagine that whatever he got for €13.49 per month 6 years ago might well be better value for similar specs elsewhere now anyway.

More so, it seems that the current (pre-increase price, from what I can tell from the screenshot) works out at €51.20 per month, and if so then he could surely find a dedi that's better than a 6-year old VPS for that.

Unless, of course, this was some monster VPS from a promotion.

The price has gone up 9.5x. For over $3k/year, I expect sandwiches and HJ's.