Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I take a VHD of my VPS prior to cancellation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I take a VHD of my VPS prior to cancellation

paul92paul92 Member
edited January 2023 in Help

Hi - I have a Windows hosted VPS with HostNamaste.

I intend on cancelling this machine. I wanted to this month, but have been forced to renew simply to get my data off.

I would like to make a VHD of the machine.

I have Rclone, and a 5tb OneDrive Block storage account.

I attempted to make a backup with Azure, but can't find how to access it and convert the backup to a VHD file.

The VPS does have a linux rescue mode which can be used to access Windows data if the partitions are mounted.

Can someone please advise.

Thanks

Comments

• FrankRuanFrankRuan Member
    edited January 2023

You can try to use dd and use pipeline to upload to AWS S3 using S3 CLI

• @paul92 said:

I intend on cancelling this machine. I wanted to this month, but have been forced to renew simply to get my data off.

I attempted to make a backup with Azure, but can't find how to access it and convert the backup to a VHD file.

The VPS does have a linux rescue mode which can be used to access Windows data if the partitions are mounted.

Thanks

Have you tried asking the provider?

• @paul92 said:

Thanks

Are you wanting to just view the files or to boot from it?

If you want to just back it up, I'd suspect you could use Windows's vhdx tools and save to rclone mounted storage.

In most cases with Windows VPS, it's usually less hassle to backup the configuration and data and skip the OS/imaging.