Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do certain VPS providers disallow IRC servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

stonedstoned Member
edited January 2023 in General

I'm trying to think of all the reasons why some providers would disallow this, and some would not. What are the risks of allowing users to run IRC servers on their VPS?

If they disallow IRC, would they also disallow things like Matrix home servers as well? Or stuff like Rocket.chat or other self hosted chat platforms?

Thank you.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

DDoS.

That's all.

• @DP said:
    DDoS.

That's all.

Is it applicable only to IRCd or to other self hosted chat platforms as well? Thanks.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

It's a risk management policy. Historically, IRC servers are sometimes targets because someone gets pissed and then a script kiddie decides to pay 10 bucks to DDoS the server after they get banned or something. So hosting companies would rather not deal with that bullshit and let other hosts who have the infrastructure or are willing to sell themselves lower to deal with that risk.

Not saying IRC in general is bad, it's just not worth it for many hosts.

@stoned said:

@DP said:
    DDoS.

That's all.

Is it applicable only to IRCd or to other self hosted chat platforms as well? Thanks.

As far as I'm aware, it's usually just IRCd that's clearly stated.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • For most people they define IRC explicitly.

Some others may identify other chat services as well like Matrix or other public chat systems that can attract unwanted attention. I know some hosts also don't allow game servers for similar reasons (not that their hardware can't handle it, but rather the potential for someone to get pissed off in a game server and decide to DDoS it).

Best guidance is to review the host's Terms of Service document.

• I know multiple hosts in the past have replied when asked that they are fine with me having IRCd's or having an IRC client/bouncer on their servers as long as they're not a DDoS magnet. So it's pretty much that.

@JeDaYoshi said:
    I know multiple hosts in the past have replied when asked that they are fine with me having IRCd's or having an IRC client/bouncer on their servers as long as they're not a DDoS magnet. So it's pretty much that.

Some providers are ok with IRCds only if they're "private".

"Private" as in it's just not linked to any of the major IRC networks, such as IRCnet, EFnet, Libera Chat etc.

As for IRC clients and bouncers, yes, they're usually acceptable as long as you don't attract DDoS.

Thanked by 1JeDaYoshi
  • @stoned said:

@DP said:
    DDoS.

That's all.

Other self-hosted chat might be allowed as long as it's not max out your vps resource(s) which might affect other vps clients. Big providers might provide how-to on installing it specific to their ecosystems. For other, you could ask their support via ticket.
    Users size affect your load to the vps. Most might suggest you to use their bigger specs vps or dedicated instead of the low budget ones. You can also try from low to big specs by monitoring your usage. Use provider that can scale-up easily from their panel if I might suggest (the detail vary from each provider).

• @tenji said:

@stoned said:

@DP said:
    DDoS.

That's all.

Other self-hosted chat might be allowed as long as it's not max out your vps resource(s) which might affect other vps clients. Big providers might provide how-to on installing it specific to their ecosystems. For other, you could ask their support via ticket.
    Users size affect your load to the vps. Most might suggest you to use their bigger specs vps or dedicated instead of the low budget ones. You can also try from low to big specs by monitoring your usage. Use provider that can scale-up easily from their panel if I might suggest (the detail vary from each provider).

This is why I figured IRCd would be least resource intensive, coupled with just a web frontend like TheLounge or something for people to connect from.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

Remnants of the past - mostly.
    IRC today is just a shadow of what it was. There's most likely 0,1% of abuse compared to the two decades ago when networks like Efnet and IRCnet were battle zones.
    Many hosts who have this in their TOS today are too young to understand it and keep it in TOS just because they heard/saw it somewhere.
    Personally I am avoiding hosts who have strict no IRC policy, because it's just silly to risk suspension because I run some non problematic bnc or irssi session somewhere. But then again, some of those hosts with no-IRC TOS allow personal irc usage if you ask them nicely.

• hostikohostiko Member, Host Rep

Isn't it stupid to deny hosting something popular just because of DDoS attacks? Even if attacks are hard to mitigate and client pays just a few bucks, RTBH is a good compromise for both. I doubt such attacks will last for long.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people code their own chat solution.
    https://github.com/yoursunny/NDNts-chat

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Who even uses IRC stuff these days? For sentimental purpose I know some people use IRC, and rest are just tiny animals

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@FatGrizzly said:
    Who even uses IRC stuff these days? For sentimental purpose I know some people use IRC, and rest are just tiny animals

Still use it, though namely just for I2P community stuff.

Discord is trash, but I get the kids want GIFs and emojiis and ROCKET BOOSTS or whatever.

Also: I'm old.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @FatGrizzly said:
    Who even uses IRC stuff these days?

Most of the communities developing linux distributions are on IRC, two examples :
    irc.libera.chat and irc.oftc.net
    same for many opensource projects

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@MannDude said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Still use it, though namely just for I2P community stuff.

Discord is trash, but I get the kids want GIFs and emojiis and ROCKET BOOSTS or whatever.

Also: I'm old.

I'm myself not a huge fan of Discord either, the UI isn't good(atleast comparing to the previous versions of discord) and has a few serious bugs.

I would prefer Matrix protocol for chat atm.

@FatGrizzly said:

I'm still there, idling and checking in once in a while with the people that have been there since the 90s :smiley:

Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@FatGrizzly said: Who even uses IRC stuff these days? For sentimental purpose I know some people use IRC

I still use it.
    1. I idle on few IRCnet channels for sentimental purpose, as you said. There's like 20 - 40 idlers on some channels who know each other for 20+ years. We don't talk much.. but we're here.
    2. I run small strictly local network of 100 - 150 chatty daily visitors who use it mostly via thelounge web interface (not irc clients) and like it mostly because of there's no registration required, no commercial spam or anything like that. Pretty casual non tech mature population. We had even some party/meetings in past.

• I won't lie I miss IRC big time. I absolutely dislike Discord with a passion refuse to use that POS. Don't care for Hosters that use it either.

Thanked by 2ralf MannDude
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Botnet networks like to use the IRC protocol

• @vsys_host said: Botnet networks like to use the IRC protocol

I found this in my email logs the other day:

Check out the from=<> address. Look at the script in the browser they want you to download. It installs a perl based IRC bot.

• irc is favourite @tinyweasel