Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are VPS hosters responding like this?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

You know, I talked to many hosters who sell Vps....
Here they give ip addresses for the test...and we ping and check them.

And when you ask them to give VPS from this particular range...

THEY ANSWER:
,,We can't give it to the computer to decide"

ALTHOUGH IT CAN...

Comments

• Probably a fault with ChatGPT. Keep asking the same question repeatedly, it gets better with each iteration.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2023

Their control panel probably randomly allocates from the available nodes, which might be on different subnets to the test IP.

In reality though it doesn't matter - routing should be the same so it shouldn't bother you.

• What is the advantage of getting ip from specific range?

• @nvme said: What is the advantage of getting ip from specific range?

Spam :D

Thanked by 2BingoBongo ralf
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jackb said: Their control panel probably randomly allocates from the available nodes, which might be on different subnets to the test IP.

This.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Checking to see if ip is blocked by gfw?

• @JabJab said:

@nvme said: What is the advantage of getting ip from specific range?

Spam :D

How so ?

• Empty node basically.

• The test IP isn't there to give you a sample of what IP range they have. The Test IP is there to give you a sample of where their hardware is on which network.

You can't request a specific IP range or an IP within that test range because that's not how it works and that's not how those resources are allocated. If you want something like that then go to someone who does SEO hosting where you'll pay a premium for those kinds of requests. Regular VPS hosts will not support you in this because that's not how they're designed to operate.

Basically, deal with it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

They can, they just be lazy, maybe he does not know.
    Usually the IP and Node is random.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Are you the one that opened a chat about 3 hours ago asking us to do this for you? :lol:

The reason we don't allow it is usually if you are asking for that, or for us to send you a "list" of our subnets, or "give me 10 IPs all on different subnets", it usually means you are a spammer and want to use our box to spam the crap out of someone. If you say you aren't, then either you are lying, or you are the 1% who isn't. But the spammers who ask this exact same question, outnumber you 10 to 1 :lol:

Then, it ruins everything for everyone else who is legit because we can't keep these cheap prices if you keep using our boxes for spam. Did you not hear, there are no more IPv4's? :wink:

I just noticed the time of this post, 10:16am, you are the one that opened the chat with us a few hours ago :lol:

Thanked by 3greentea crilla Pwner
  • @dosai said:
    Checking to see if ip is blocked by gfw?

Yes

• @Neoon said:
    They can, they just be lazy, maybe he does not know.
    Usually the IP and Node is random.

Probably don't know how....

but one hoster came forward and helped ...
    which I am glad and thank them!

• @jfreak53 said:
    I just noticed the time of this post, 10:16am, you are the one that opened the chat with us a few hours ago :lol:

Yes, I opened a chat....

Probably talked to you....

But don't confuse me with someone else....

If someone has done something bad to you, it does not mean that everyone is bad...

If someone lied to you, it doesn't mean that everyone is a liar....

@Superboy said:

@jfreak53 said:

Yes, I opened a chat....

If someone has done something bad to you, it does not mean that everyone is bad...

Totally understandable, but, I don't know you, and there is no way for you to prove to me or any other provider, that you are not a spammer. The spammers have made it so providers have to protect themselves, and that means not taking risks when it's a risky transaction.

• @jfreak53 said:

@Superboy said:

@jfreak53 said:

Yes, I opened a chat....

Totally understandable, but, I don't know you, and there is no way for you to prove to me or any other provider, that you are not a spammer. The spammers have made it so providers have to protect themselves, and that means not taking risks when it's a risky transaction.

I understand you...

But understand and you are not all bad....

I could prove it....

Come visit us.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

We are not going to spend money paying our admins to manually assign a specific IP address, which costs more than you are actually paying for the service itself. VPS services are priced for automation. If you want to pay a setup fee to cover our admin time, then we consider such requests.

~ SMARTHOST

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I like having VPS servers with sequential IP’s it just makes sense.

I hate providers that dish out random IPs and always request for some on at least the same range.

• Why am I looking for a new VPS hosting now?

Because The stack is not working right now...

Most likely the owner is ill...I don't know exactly.

It was a good hosting for a long time of cooperation with him there were no problems....

But now we need a new hoster....

That's why I'm looking for a new hoster friend....

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

At yoursunny summer host, we can assign you any IP address you desire.
    If the requested IP address is already assigned to someone else, we can yank it out of their hands and give it to you.
    The whole world is your oyster.
    Newtork is fast my man.

Each user is provisioned in an isolated address space.
    You can have any IP address, but you cannot communicate with any other user.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@SmartHost said:

We are not going to spend money paying our admins to manually assign a specific IP address, which costs more than you are actually paying for the service itself. VPS services are priced for automation. If you want to pay a setup fee to cover our admin time, then we consider such requests.

~ SMARTHOST

That's generally our view on it too. I have been making exceptions for users that contact and ask politely for something with brand new services, but it is purely best-effort-as-available. Especially knowing that when they get that IP banned by their ISP or whatever happens, that $2-3/mo recurring plan (because it's never the dedicated or higher end VPS customers asking it seems) is toast so there is never any ROI and requires lots of manual attention. Virtually any other ticket takes precedence. We're already rolling out administrative IP-switch-fees after the courtesy request to dissuade this activity since I don't know a better way to combat it.

Thanked by 2Superboy greentea
  • There was no joy in my heart for several days....

and out of a little desperation, I opened discussions...

Thanks to Lowendbox for this opportunity....

• And thanks to jfreak53 for answering my question about hosters....

• Why not? IP distribution is not a manual service.
    If you want an IP 100% not blocked by GFW, find a Chinese provider.

Thanked by 1Superboy
  • ataballyatabally Member
    edited January 2023

2nd GFW is arising (maybe already arised) in the middle of the Asia.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Gas Wall Furnace?

• ataballyatabally Member
    edited January 2023

@DP said: Gas Wall Furnace?

Oh typo, it should be GFW :smile:

• question is how much extra are you willing to pay?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are other reasons to demand specific ranges, such as people banned from some services or games, or "snickers" sales...
    Whenever someone asks us for that, we give the true answer, each service has own VLAN and very few are sharing the same IP pool. While it is possible to manually route one IP to another service, that is not worth it except for big customers who pay up thousands every month and need it for streaming or other reasons.