Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring the servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring the servers

Hello to everyone,

I am constantly researching to improve myself in system management and lowendtalk is a really great platform.

I was wondering something today.
I know there are many web hosting providers and professional system administrators here. So how do you monitor dozens of servers and web hosting accounts (shared hosting, vps, vds etc.)? Are there any programs that make tracking and management easier?

I'm also really curious how world giants like bluehost, hostinger, hostgator monitor and track thousands of servers :)

Comments

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Hetrixtools? Zabbix ?

Bigger companies will use custom software

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @JamesF said:
    Hetrixtools? Zabbix ?

I haven't heard of these before, but I'll look into them right away.

• I recently found monspark.com

Seems new and promising. Their discord is available, have a decent roadmap, even a LTD on appsumo

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • PHP Server Monitor
    ~ Very basic, but quick, effortless setup.

Uptime Kuma
    ~ self hosted "uptimerobot"-like monitoring

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

I use Prometheus for internal (white box) monitoring. Many apps have existing exporters or you can roll your own, e.g. for Django: https://blog.snapdragon.cc/posts/2022-12-monitor-django-with-prometheus/

The other thing you ask about is blackbox monitoring. I.e. you just monitor from the outside. That's good for monitoring shared hosting. For this I like to use Uptime Kuma. Mostly because it also includes a simple status page and alerts. Can be run via Docker or on PikaPods with a few clicks: https://www.pikapods.com/pods?run=uptime-kuma

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Hetrixtools+uptimerobot+uptime kuma

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @JamesF said:
    Hetrixtools? Zabbix ?

@plumberg said:
    I recently found monspark.com

Seems new and promising. Their discord is available, have a decent roadmap, even a LTD on appsumo

@Mumbly said:
    PHP Server Monitor
    ~ Very basic, but quick, effortless setup.

Uptime Kuma
    ~ self hosted "uptimerobot"-like monitoring

@m4nu said:
    I use Prometheus for internal (white box) monitoring. Many apps have existing exporters or you can roll your own, e.g. for Django: https://blog.snapdragon.cc/posts/2022-12-monitor-django-with-prometheus/

The other thing you ask about is blackbox monitoring. I.e. you just monitor from the outside. That's good for monitoring shared hosting. For this I like to use Uptime Kuma. Mostly because it also includes a simple status page and alerts. Can be run via Docker or on PikaPods with a few clicks: https://www.pikapods.com/pods?run=uptime-kuma

@silicomnet said:
    Hetrixtools+uptimerobot+uptime kuma

Thank you for your responses.

Actually, I'm wondering how to make it easier to monitor not only the server's uptime, but also the resource usage such as cpu, ram, disk.

(To check server performance and stability.)

• For monitoring servers: Zabbix.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • with hetrixtools you can monitor cpu, ram, disk usage, process, ip blacklist and more.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • +1 for hetrixtools.com cannot go wrong.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @let_rocks said:
    For monitoring servers: Zabbix.

@silicomnet said:
    with hetrixtools you can monitor cpu, ram, disk usage, process, ip blacklist and more.

@plumberg said:
    Also this
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3570765/#Comment_3570765

Thank you very much again. These tools look really cool.
    I will try hetrixtools first.

• @thecreator_ said:
    Thank you for your responses.

Actually, I'm wondering how to make it easier to monitor not only the server's uptime, but also the resource usage such as cpu, ram, disk.

(To check server performance and stability.)

For this zabbix definitely

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

I suppose it depends exactly what you want to monitor. Hetrix is great for general uptime/availability (we use it too, for checking/logging publicly our upstreams).

Internally, since we are dealing with a lot of physical hardware I was turned onto librenms and once having it all setup really enjoy the visibility it gives. You can get buried in the weeds if you're not careful, but being able to setup alerts for so many items (for us mainly: cpu utilization, disks, bandwidth, etc) it's an excellent way to get automatically notified of broken parts (or breaking parts), abuse, or other oddities.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Hetrixtools Easily the best.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • The upside (and downside) of Hetrix is that monitoring is done from their servers. If you’re monitoring 15 or less servers, it’s free and they monitor from 4 different locations of your choice (from a list of 12 Hetrix locations.) Monitor frequency is once every 60 seconds. Lots of notification options.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • netdata

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Uhhm.. New Relic?

Thanked by 1thecreator_