Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hetzner-k3s v0.6.5 is out! Rewritten from scratch in Crystal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hetzner-k3s v0.6.5 is out! Rewritten from scratch in Crystal

vitobottavitobotta Member
edited December 2022 in General

This is a new version, completely rewritten in Crystal, of my tool to super quickly create and manage Kubernetes clusters in Hetzner Cloud. The new version is faster, better overall and users can now just download a standalone executable which makes it easier to use (the previous version was written in Ruby and required setting up a Ruby environment or using a Docker image).

If you use Kubernetes and Hetzner Cloud, can you give it a try? I am looking for feedback since it's a complete rewrite. Thanks!

Repo: https://github.com/vitobotta/hetzner-k3s

Comments

• Thanks for the blog link.

what is your os choice for k3s?

• @ehab said:
    Thanks for the blog link.

what is your os choice for k3s?

Mainly I like it because it’s very lightweight as it uses less memory and cpu for Kubernetes that you can use for applications instead. K3s is also a single binary, so it’s quicker to install and upgrade.

• ehabehab Member
    edited December 2022

i meant what Linux OS - version you like to install that plays great with k3s for you?

• @ehab said:
    i meant what Linux OS - version you like to install that plays great with k3s for you?

At the moment the tool uses the ubuntu 20.04 image, and soon I will change it to 22.04

Thanked by 1ehab
  • oky, after you install k3s what else do you install?

for example : storage classes / monitoring tools / other loadbalancers ? etc ....

do you use tools such as https://k8slens.dev/ or k9s ...

Show us The way :)

• @ehab said:
    oky, after you install k3s what else do you install?

for example : storage classes / monitoring tools / other loadbalancers ? etc ....

do you use tools such as https://k8slens.dev/ or k9s ...

Show us The way :)

After k3s is up and running on the whole cluster, the tool installs these:

• Hetzner Cloud Controller Manager: this allows integrating the nodes between kubernetes and Hetzner Cloud to properly register public and private IP addresses etc. It's also what makes it possible to provision load balancers
    • Hetzner CSI driver: this installs a storage class and CSI components to add support for persistent volumes backend by Hetzner's Cloud volumes
    • System Upgrade Controller: this makes it super easy and super quick to upgrade k3s to a new version by just creating upgrade plans. An upgrade is very quick this way

At the moment the tool doesn't install anything else, it just installs the above to provide you with a fully functional cluster that is ready to use. It doesn't install monitoring tools or other things since that would be too opinionated. Maybe in the future I can make it possible to at least select from a list of possible addons. Let's see.

I use k9s a lot to work with my clusters. Lens is nice but I am a lot quicker with k9s since it's fully keyboard driven.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Thanks for answers, wish you a nice new year.- no alcohol or sex off course - :|

• @ehab said:
    Thanks for answers, wish you a nice new year.- no alcohol or sex off course - :|

Thanks, you too!

Thanked by 1ehab