Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried paperspace?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone tried paperspace?

Howdy!

I wanted to see if anyone has used their VM services which a few of the plans have GPU.

Like to find out performance and uptime.

Link: https://www.paperspace.com/pricing?tab=core-plans

Comments

• Unless u live close to their datacenter it's not worth it.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

Paperspace is great (used them 2020-ish for a bit to work on ML models), but I found their pricing to be a bit prohibitively expensive, so I started TensorDock:

1. Marketplace: Hosts around the world install our software on their servers, which orchestrates customer VMs onto them. By commoditizing compute, we slash prices: e.g. A4000s from $0.14/hr instead of $0.76/hr on Paperspace, and A6000s from $0.42/hr instead of $1.89/hr. Link.

2. Core Cloud: This is data center-based hardware we operate with partners, backed by 3x-replicated storage. ISO27001/HIPAA/SOC2 compliance available, etc. It's more expensive than our marketplace offering, but it's more secure and comes with reduced storage-only billing (similar to Paperspace Volumes), making it cheaper for workloads that aren't persistent. Link

If you're interested, shoot me a DM and will give you some starting credits :)

Are you interested more in ML work or gaming/remote work instances?

Thanked by 2Erisa treesmokah
  • @hollowvi1 said:
    Unless u live close to their datacenter it's not worth it.

Thanks. I actually do so maybe I'll give them a shop.

Looking for stability for daily work through RDP. Nothing high usage; just normal SaaS stuff but want no lag RDP.

• @lentro said:
    Paperspace is great (used them 2020-ish for a bit to work on ML models), but I found their pricing to be a bit prohibitively expensive, so I started TensorDock:

1. Marketplace: Hosts around the world install our software on their servers, which orchestrates customer VMs onto them. By commoditizing compute, we slash prices: e.g. A4000s from $0.14/hr instead of $0.76/hr on Paperspace, and A6000s from $0.42/hr instead of $1.89/hr. Link.

2. Core Cloud: This is data center-based hardware we operate with partners, backed by 3x-replicated storage. ISO27001/HIPAA/SOC2 compliance available, etc. It's more expensive than our marketplace offering, but it's more secure and comes with reduced storage-only billing (similar to Paperspace Volumes), making it cheaper for workloads that aren't persistent. Link

If you're interested, shoot me a DM and will give you some starting credits :)

Are you interested more in ML work or gaming/remote work instances?

Thanks. Yeah I looked at the marketplace previously but for my purpose (which may be more unique) it would need to be stable for 9 - 5, monday through friday RDP work on it.

I'll check out the core cloud pricing. Only downside is that I'm west coast so latency may be a lag issue with RDP.

FYI datacenters docs link is broken: https://docs.tensordock.com/infrastructure/data-centers

Thanked by 1lentro
  • 16722012791672201279 Member
    edited December 2022

Used their RDP once while traveling, occasional lag/delay was annoying even I was close to their DC (about 10ms ping). Performance is bad on the Virtual GPU machine, old architecture and low frequency.

Tested on a 4 vCPU Virtual GPU

• @doughnet said:
    need to be stable for 9 - 5, monday through friday RDP work on it.

https://shadow.tech/ might fit your needs.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@doughnet said: core cloud

Yeap! This would probably be the right choice for you.

Windows support for our marketplace is literally coming out next week. If you're open to it, you could consider renting a dedicated RDP machine. A bit more expensive, but it'd be dedicated:

• Core Cloud - e.g. Quadro RTX 4000 $0.40/hr at 160 hrs/mo = $64/mo
    • Marketplace - e.g. NVIDIA 3070 $0.12/hr at 730 hrs/mo = $88/mo --- this 3070 machine is unlisted, but I can make it available

For stopped VMs, we will also be rolling out opt-in storage-only billing on the marketplace the week after. By using storage-only billing though, you'd forfeit guaranteed access to the GPU on the server. If someone else claims the GPU when you've released it, then you'd have to boot up the server as a CPU-only instance. With that, the marketplace pricing could theoretically come down by quite a bit (~$25/mo), if you're willing to accept that additional risk.

Also - apologies for the broken link! We're hosted at Switch "Tier 5" data center in Las Vegas for Core Cloud West Coast workloads :)

• @1672201279 said:
    Used their RDP once while traveling, occasional lag/delay was annoying even I was close to their DC (about 10ms ping). Performance is bad on the Virtual GPU machine, old architecture and low frequency.

Tested on a 4 vCPU Virtual GPU

thanks for the info ... i'm running a system and it isn't as good as a physical machine but it's 100x better having the vGPU than a VM that doesn't.

• @Dazzle said:

@doughnet said:
    need to be stable for 9 - 5, monday through friday RDP work on it.

https://shadow.tech/ might fit your needs.

Thanks but shadow.tech doesn't keep their machine up when it isn't being used ... that wouldn't work out for a 9-5 desktop usage.

their business side isn't available yet unfortunately for the USA ... or else then yes it probably would work out pretty good.

• @lentro said:

@doughnet said: core cloud

Yeap! This would probably be the right choice for you.

Windows support for our marketplace is literally coming out next week. If you're open to it, you could consider renting a dedicated RDP machine. A bit more expensive, but it'd be dedicated:

• Core Cloud - e.g. Quadro RTX 4000 $0.40/hr at 160 hrs/mo = $64/mo
    • Marketplace - e.g. NVIDIA 3070 $0.12/hr at 730 hrs/mo = $88/mo --- this 3070 machine is unlisted, but I can make it available

For stopped VMs, we will also be rolling out opt-in storage-only billing on the marketplace the week after. By using storage-only billing though, you'd forfeit guaranteed access to the GPU on the server. If someone else claims the GPU when you've released it, then you'd have to boot up the server as a CPU-only instance. With that, the marketplace pricing could theoretically come down by quite a bit (~$25/mo), if you're willing to accept that additional risk.

Also - apologies for the broken link! We're hosted at Switch "Tier 5" data center in Las Vegas for Core Cloud West Coast workloads :)

interesting! thanks for the info and look forward to possibly trying the Marketplace with the windows VM.

Thanked by 1lentro