Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fastest kubernetes installer out there!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The fastest kubernetes installer out there!

I have mentioned in the past that I built a tool to create Kubernetes clusters in Hetzner Cloud and it was already super fast. However since I had written it in Ruby, I couldn't easily provide users with standalone binaries, so they had to use either the Ruby gem (meaning setting up Ruby) or the Docker image (meaning setting up Docker). Despite this lots of people have been using it (I even received offers to implement features etc).

So I am now rewriting it in Crystal so I can just offer standalone executables instead to make it even easier to use. The side benefit is that Crystal is one of the fastest programming languages around, so the speed is awesome.

To give you an example, I created a production cluster with highly available control plane behind a load balancer, and 5 worker nodes in multiple Hetzner regions (for high availability) in just 3 minutes and 9 seconds :D

This time includes creating all the infrastructure resources (8 servers, load balancer, firewall and private network), plus setting up Kubernetes on all the nodes.

3 minutes and 9 seconds from zero to a ready cluster! In comparison GKE (Google's Kubernetes) would take around 20-25 minutes for a cluster of this size, and AWS EKS maybe twice as long since it's slow.

As of today, I am not aware of a faster way to create a Kubernetes cluster.

Next step is implementing autoscaling.

Do you use Kubernetes in Hetzner? I'm curious to know which tool you use to manage the clusters :)

Do you use Kubernetes in general? If yes, at which provider(s)? Managed or did you use some tool to create the clusters?

Thanked by 3let_rocks Merakith arda

Comments

• Hi. I am managing a cluster of 5 but through Ansible. Initial ansible script sets up everything and then another script for managing updates/health checks. All these sites run Wordpress with InnoDB Cluster + S3 for some files and Syncthing for others.

I had tried docker but didn't find any major advantage and felt it added more complexity. May be my approach was not right. I am open to suggestions.

• @Merakith said:
    Hi. I am managing a cluster of 5 but through Ansible. Initial ansible script sets up everything and then another script for managing updates/health checks. All these sites run Wordpress with InnoDB Cluster + S3 for some files and Syncthing for others.

I had tried docker but didn't find any major advantage and felt it added more complexity. May be my approach was not right. I am open to suggestions.

What kid of clusters? I am confused because the following sentence seems to suggest you don't run containers?

• Yes. Not containers. Tailscale for connecting all servers. Caddy webserver with config file shared through syncthing to all other servers. MySQL InnoDB Cluster for database clustering and site files hosted on s3 and some shared via syncthing.

I am not sure if containers will benefit me.