Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would I suffer performance degradation if I'm using hdd for email hosting ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would I suffer performance degradation if I'm using hdd for email hosting ?

I want to spin up my own mail client using mail.cow or Mail-in-a-Box, I have spare vps with large amount of hdd storage. I want to know is there noticeable performance if I'm using hdd or ssd for this matter ? I will be using this email for my small hobby community, giving custom domain etc.

Comments

• Really depends on how many users and what kind of load you'll be expecting. For a small hobby community, it probably won't make too much of a difference. If you'll be having 50+ active users on it at the same time, you'll probably want to look into SSD and higher specs.

• HDD is well enough, as long as you are not counting on heavy 4K I/O access, say, reading and writing 5K mails/s.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

It really comes down to how much access there will be to the drive. For example if you are running a database and access it a lot, you will notice the difference. In this day and age, HDDs should only be used for storage IMO, not for cases were there will be I/O access.

• IMAP can hammer your hdd like crazzy if you have thousands of users in the same timezone. Usually at the morning when everyone check their email the massive hammering starts. I believe @jar can tell us some stories.

Thanked by 2farsighter let_rocks