Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering KVM VPS for photo storage (minimum RAM)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Considering KVM VPS for photo storage (minimum RAM)

hitchcock412hitchcock412 Member
edited December 2022 in General

I am considering one of the RackNerd VPS specials for hosting my own photo server. I have two questions regarding this, especially if you do this yourself.

1) Which package to use? I would like something that doesn't use too much RAM on the server side but also has an app that I can use on Android and iOS. [Or at least an easy way to view and transfer from iOS.]
2) How much RAM do I need? The RackNerd specials offer more storage space than I need (10GB to 45GB on the three lowest packages) but offer only 512MB or 1GB or 2.5 GB RAM. They usually offer an equal amount of swap space.

I am not too concerned about speed for uploads/downloads, but would like the speed to be "reasonable".
I have seen references to Piwigo and Lychee (as well as NextCloud of course). But no articles I have come across yet compare these packages in terms of RAM requirements.

[As background I am not a linux expert but have used it for a number of years to run a Ubiquiti "unifi Controller" on Ubuntu 18.04 and regularly update it to maintain it. I feel that I am decent at maintaining and installing packages. Have never installed Apache as I have not had a reason to yet.]

Any help is much appreciated!!

Comments

• I use Lychee photo gallery and it runs super fast on 768MB of RAM

Thanked by 1hitchcock412
  • @JohnFilch123 said:
    I use Lychee photo gallery and it runs super fast on 768MB of RAM

John, what app on iOS or Android do you use with it? Sorry, I've never hosted photos myself so that probably sounds like a silly question.

• I use PhotoView and it works quite smoothly on a 1GB VPS. Haven't tried on other installs.

• @hitchcock412 said:

@JohnFilch123 said:
    I use Lychee photo gallery and it runs super fast on 768MB of RAM

John, what app on iOS or Android do you use with it? Sorry, I've never hosted photos myself so that probably sounds like a silly question.

Just a simple browser.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My use case is having the phones automatically upload photos to the server, and having the computer automatically download them.
    I would then move the files away throught the computer.

Initially I used Dropbox, until they introduced 3-device limit.

I installed Nextcloud on VPS.
    The server side doesn't work in 384MB memory, barely works in 512MB; I think at least 1GB would be necessary.
    CPU usage is heavy during uploading, and when I attempt to view thumbnail on Nextcloud webpage.
    Both Android and iOS apps work well.

I switched to Seafile following a suggestion from @Daniel15 .
    The server side is lightweight and works well in 512MB.
    CPU usage is modest during uploading.
    Android app works well, but iOS app often misses file uploads.

Nowadays, my Android devices upload photos via Seafile app, while iOS device uploads to Dropbox and then I move them into Seafile or elsewhere on the computer.

Thanked by 1tenji
  • Two suggestions:

A. Install MyVestaCP (control panel), then install NextCloud. So I work fine on a HostHatch VPS -> 1 vCPU, 1 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD :)

B. Using RackNerd Shared Hosting, Nextcloud installation via Softaculous, this way is the easiest.

Thanked by 1hitchcock412
  • iqbaliqbal Member
    edited December 2022

I installed NextCloud on Hosthatch (512 MB ram) with Debian 11, and running without any problem.