Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best VPS control panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best VPS control panel?

Please select with your best experience..
1. Virtualizor
2. SolusVM
3. VirtFusion

Comments

• I will go through Virtualizor...

Thanked by 1readycheapcloud
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

From what I've seen, VirtFusion is one of the best out of the bunch. I tried out the evaluation edition, it was so much more nicer than Virtualizor and SolusVM. Despite Virtualizor and SolusVM being owned by much bigger companies, VirtFusion is the most modern and has some of the nicest features out of the bunch. Phil also really cares about the end product, and VirtFusion is getting extremely nice/cool features as the days go by.

We've also been following the development of Convoy, a VPS panel with public source code that's still in development, based on Proxmox VE. Once it's out of development, this is the VPS panel that we are likely going to switch to as our current infrastructure is based on Proxmox already.

• 4 Proxmox

• How do the providers virtualize their servers? Is using a virtualization management system such as SolusVM the only option?

Also, does WHMCS perform virtualization as well or is it only a billing system platform?

Thanked by 1BingoBongo
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Between the three you list there's no doubt Virtfusion is the most user friendly, bug free, and refined. I never had doubts at all when I migrated off of SolusVM that I may have been making a bad decision.

edited December 2022

@GreenWood said:
    How do the providers virtualize their servers? Is using a virtualization management system such as SolusVM the only option?

Also, does WHMCS perform virtualization as well or is it only a billing system platform?

WHMCS is only a billing platform that connects to other virtualization platforms. There are a lot of virtualization management systems that allow you to split a dedicated server into multiple (smaller) virtual machines. Some options include:

1. VirtFusion (Most common across LET providers!)
    2. SolusVM (Most common across LET providers!)
    3. Virtualizor (Most common across LET providers!)
    4. Proxmox (Semi common across LET providers!)
    5. VMWare
    6. OpenStack
    7. OpenNebula

...and more

There are free and public modules to integrate WHMCS with VirtFusion, SolusVM, and Virtualizor. However, in order to integrate WHMCS with Proxmox, VMWare, OpenStack, OpenNebula, etc, usually you can only find paid modules from third-party developers.

Thanked by 1GreenWood
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

VirtFusion. Can't say enough good things about @VirtFusion and the team. Extremely happy with it for our use case. Getting more providers and end-users on VirtFusion is worth it even if it means more competition ;)

Not listed: Proxmox. Also has a place for us--mainly on a lot of internal/backend stuff but a different mission approach than VF.

@GreenWood said:
    How do the providers virtualize their servers? Is using a virtualization management system such as SolusVM the only option?

You could do it manually if you wanted to put that much effort in each time someone paid for services. WHMCS is just a billing and customer management software that is fairly robust and has plugins to allow automation with nearly every other back-end management software out there. VirtFusion, for example, is completely separate from WHMCS but they have a nice plugin to allow automation so your end customer just picks an item, orders it, and 5 seconds later they can log in and the resources are ready.

• GreenWoodGreenWood Member
    edited December 2022

@Advin said:

WHMCS is only a billing platform that connects to other virtualization platforms. There are a lot of virtualization management systems that allow you to split a dedicated server into multiple (smaller) virtual machines. Some options include:

1. VirtFusion (Most common across LET providers!)
    2. SolusVM (Most common across LET providers!)
    3. Virtualizor (Most common across LET providers!)
    4. Proxmox (Semi common across LET providers!)
    5. VMWare
    6. OpenStack
    7. OpenNebula

...and more

There are free and public modules to integrate WHMCS with VirtFusion, SolusVM, and Virtualizor. However, in order to integrate WHMCS with Proxmox, VMWare, OpenStack, OpenNebula, etc, usually you can only find paid modules from third-party developers.

Thank you so much! I was confused but you made it clear now.

I already read all the SolusVM 2 docs', so initially I know how it works. But, I have no idea about VirtFusion, does it work same as SolusVM? I mean, is it easier to manage on VirtFusion? Why LET providers prefer it over others?

One more question, if I have a dedicated server with the following specifications:

Lets say, Xeon E5 or E3 Quad Core - 8GB RAM - 100 GB Disk (HDD or SSD)

How many VPS can get from this spec?

Does it depend on the memory or how many Cores?

Let's say, I want to get 8 VPS from it which 1GB RAM of each VPS, but how about CPU? 1/2 Core of each VPS?!

I'm really really confused, I don't know on which it depends!!

As we have only 4 cores, I think we can only create 4 VPS of this spec so we can get 1 Core - 2 GB RAM - 25 GB Disk, nah?

Also, what does vCPU mean? I know that it means virtual CPU but I want to understand it precisely.

Thank you

• GreenWoodGreenWood Member
    edited December 2022

@crunchbits said:
    VirtFusion. Can't say enough good things about @VirtFusion and the team. Extremely happy with it for our use case. Getting more providers and end-users on VirtFusion is worth it even if it means more competition ;)

Not listed: Proxmox. Also has a place for us--mainly on a lot of internal/backend stuff but a different mission approach than VF.

@GreenWood said:

You could do it manually if you wanted to put that much effort in each time someone paid for services. WHMCS is just a billing and customer management software that is fairly robust and has plugins to allow automation with nearly every other back-end management software out there. VirtFusion, for example, is completely separate from WHMCS but they have a nice plugin to allow automation so your end customer just picks an item, orders it, and 5 seconds later they can log in and the resources are ready.

Ohh I see, thank you!

But from where the end-user or customer orders the server? From WHMCS or SolusVM/VirtFusion? As I already read the SolusVM's docs, the customer can login to SolusVM user-interface and create, manage servers.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Advin said:
    From what I've seen, VirtFusion is one of the best out of the bunch. I tried out the evaluation edition, it was so much more nicer than Virtualizor and SolusVM. Despite Virtualizor and SolusVM being owned by much bigger companies, VirtFusion is the most modern and has some of the nicest features out of the bunch. Phil also really cares about the end product, and VirtFusion is getting extremely nice/cool features as the days go by.

We've also been following the development of Convoy, a VPS panel with public source code that's still in development, based on Proxmox VE. Once it's out of development, this is the VPS panel that we are likely going to switch to as our current infrastructure is based on Proxmox already.

I don't quite understand how convoy works..., Its source code is public yet had a licensing system? Is the licensing system closed src?

edited December 2022

@FatGrizzly said:

@Advin said:

I don't quite understand how convoy works..., Its source code is public yet had a licensing system? Is the licensing system closed src?

Since the panel is still under heavy development and the billing integrations are still a WIP, the licensing system hasn't been implemented. However, once it does get implemented, I believe it would be more like the Blesta model where only the licensing system would be encoded. Either that, or certain production/enterprise features/support would only be available for licensed providers.

I believe the panel will be free for personal use and only paid for commercial use (i.e. running a hosting provider). I'll have to see what Eric decides to do with the licensing system and when/how it'll be implemented.

• @eris said:
    4 Proxmox

This is free panel with limited functions. It’s need to connect with billing system “like WHMCS” need paid modules. Hence im not listed it.
    Thank you

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2022

"Best" may be defined many ways. What is best for the provider may not be best for the end user. As an end user, I would urge you to compare how the candidate products look and feel and work for the end user too. Keep in mind that not all end users know what each features does, or what they must do to get their VPS going. Put your mother in front of the control panel and learn how they see it, too. (Okay, maybe not your mother, but you get the point.)

Adding: Features I am using these days include mounting and booting from a .iso and using the console to install an OS. The console interface is often the weak point for some VPS control panels I have used as an end user.