Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wireguard vs softether ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wireguard vs softether ?

I want to setup vpn server, should i choose softether or wireguard?
Is anyone using softether?

Comments

• Wireguard, that is all.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Wireguard.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • I had used softether for about 5 years, but recently moved to wireguard. Never looked back.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • In terms of speed for me it was Wireguard > SoftEther > OpenVPN. All default configs, your results may vary.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Gravely said:
    Wireguard, that is all.

Personally used OpenVPN, moved to WireGuard a couple years ago, much easier and more secure.

• The only time I'd recommend anything outside of wireguard is if you have packet loss of any sorts between you and your server.
    If no packet loss - wireguard is the way.

• My personal preference:
    WireGuard (best one, will use unless I have special reasons)
    IKEv2 (if installing a client app is not desirable)
    OpenVPN (basically no usage but I've been using it in the past)

• docker + portainer + wg-easy for easy management of VPN clients

Thanked by 1JohnFilch123
  • +1 for WireGuard. When required L2 or TCP, OpenVPN. I know that WireGuard can be used over TCP tunnel, but on some devices it is very hard or inpossible (E.G. iOS).

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • As I know you should try wireguard cause they offer the premium features.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • Well, i finaaly installed softether vpn. So far going good, speed/stability cross device connectivity

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @Proxecure said:
    Well, i finaaly installed softether vpn. So far going good, speed/stability cross device connectivity

Lol, glad all the advice was of use to you

• Only reason to choose softether is to get around restrictive firewalls. Otherwise WireGuard

• There is Algo VPN DIY. It's free, secure and open source https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Also, it acts as an adblocker.

• I preferred the softether bcz it uses HTTPS to establish a VPN tunnel and port 443 on TCP/IP as the destination and it supports L2TP/IPSec and exposes “clone functions” for OpenVPN and Microsoft SSTP VPN.

• What are the recommended hardware requirements for a VPS running wireguard?

• @Proxecure said:
    Well, i finaaly installed softether vpn. So far going good, speed/stability cross device connectivity

Did you have followed any guide?

• miaumiau Member
    edited December 2022

Wireguard if you have specific need.

Softether is way more flexible and offers a large set of features. If you are operating from Windows client, its remote server administration tool is top tier. Being SSL based, it can easily bypass the most restrictive firewalls.

Just make sure you are operating in Local Bridge mode, not Virtual Nat. It requires some manual adapter config and enabling systemd dhcp module (or any dhcp server you like), but gives a significant boost to the network quality.

Thanked by 1cpsd
  • @shajeeafzal said:
    What are the recommended hardware requirements for a VPS running wireguard?

Quite minimal, but you’ll need some CPU power if your traffic is large. A typical shared core can handle 1Gbit/s without problem in my case.