Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a good idea to move from Azure to Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it a good idea to move from Azure to Hetzner

Hi, I have a WordPress website (around 500 visits a day), and I'm currently running this on Microsoft Azure (East Asia), B1s instance using OpenLiteSpeed.
Azure's bandwidth Limit really pissed me off and the price isn't that cheap.
I wonder if it's a good idea to move to Hetzner Cloud? For much cheaper price (€3.85/month) I can get AMD EPYC processor, 2 cores, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 10Gbps connection and basically unlimited bandwidth compare to Azure.

Comments

• Yes, have been using Hetzner cloud for prod, 0 downtime.

• Not gonna say which one is better, but you can't go wrong with Hetzner in production.

• ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

what you pay is what you get, i dont know how to explain.

• Azure and GCP are terribly expensive then it comes to bandwidth.
    Just move.. Hetzner is rock-solid.

Thanked by 1sliix
  • I also use Hetzner for prod, so +1 for Hetzner.

• or maybe it's time to invest in some CDN so your traffic will drop and you won't pay that much to Azure? Bunny.net is the thing I am using, there is plenty of those around. No idea which one is good for Asia - you would need to research that.

also Hetzner does not have Asia location so if your main point was Asia seems like no go to me.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

If the B1S resources are enough for you, you will be thrilled with the Hetzner performance :)

I have not had any major failures with Hetzner, but I would not compare this with Azure Premium SSD disks. Personally, I would prefer Hetzner in almost all cases, even though I support a lot of customers in Azure.

This is a personal contribution from @RapToN . Unfortunately I saw too late that I am logged in with the company account.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @JabJab said: Bunny.net is the thing I am using

Why not Cloudflare? How about Bunny?

• Maybe its not a good choice for Asia.

• When I was using Hetzner I had regular hiccups and their tech support claimed they never happend because ”they’d know”.

This was even though their own panel had saved logs of one of them, because an error was saved into the activities tab.

Still, according to them, never happend.

You get what you pay for, I’d never use them for production.

• @EthanZou said:

@JabJab said: Bunny.net is the thing I am using

Why not Cloudflare? How about Bunny?

Currently using Cloudflare

@JabJab said:
    or maybe it's time to invest in some CDN so your traffic will drop and you won't pay that much to Azure? Bunny.net is the thing I am using, there is plenty of those around. No idea which one is good for Asia - you would need to research that.

also Hetzner does not have Asia location so if your main point was Asia seems like no go to me.

Yes I am using Cloudflare and the website doesn't face visitors from China (which is terribly slow to Cloudflare edge), but the point is.. How about the bandwidth from Azure to Cloudflare, Cloudflare glitches sometimes and sometimes the CDN basically like nothing

• @brejski said:
    Azure and GCP are terribly expensive then it comes to bandwidth.

I'm currently having trouble migrating my WordPress... I'm not sure if I can just dump the database then import them

• @emgh said:
    When I was using Hetzner I had regular hiccups and their tech support claimed they never happend because ”they’d know”.

This was even though their own panel had saved logs of one of them, because an error was saved into the activities tab.

Still, according to them, never happend.

You get what you pay for, I’d never use them for production.

Yeah I'd only use Hetzner if I had some sort of load balancer running between multiple VM nodes. Lots of random short downtimes with their cloud product. Their dedis are pretty rock solid though, I used to just host sites on those (back when they were $20/mo)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • i just buy server with hetzner, but i am very confuse, i have hardware raid, when i use command from root it shows i dont have disk, also i dont have raid. but hertzner keep saying that you have raid 10.

i am new to hetzner, and dont know about this.

thanks

• @FrankRuan said:

@brejski said:

I'm currently having trouble migrating my WordPress... I'm not sure if I can just dump the database then import them

CMIIW, I think you should lock it from Administrator account first so there are no activities that would modify files and database. Then you can try to do the migration.

• @Dilstar said:
    i just buy server with hetzner, but i am very confuse, i have hardware raid, when i use command from root it shows i dont have disk, also i dont have raid. but hertzner keep saying that you have raid 10.

i am new to hetzner, and dont know about this.

thanks

If you have question about your own server, it's better for you to create new discussion than hijack other people question.
    Or you can PM me, maybe I can help, maybe not.

• @FrankRuan said:

@brejski said:

if site URL isn't changing, you can do a dump and restore of the DB. And then just copy all your files over. Should be it.

Hetzner cloud has been rock solid for me (been using the US datacenter) for the past 7 months. I'm moving more of my clients there from other providers. Great performance/value for me.