Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My parent house has ATT (the cheapest fiber plan $55/month). Can be use seedbox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My parent house has ATT (the cheapest fiber plan $55/month). Can be use seedbox?

They don't do streaming a lot; they watch youtube about 40 minutes a day max. one movies once a couple of weeks.
Wonder if ATT will be ok after they find out there is a seed box in that house. Any experienced advices ? (not necessary legal one)

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

No they won't. If you want your parents to get kicked off AT&T go for it. My current house has AT&T fiber and I believe they have a "3 strike" system for copyright abuse, after 3 reports your service is cancelled.

If you run everything through a VPN it will be fine though, in the past I've pushed over 30-50TB/mo on 1G fiber plan.

Thanked by 3greentea momomo Pwner
  • @MikeA said: in the past I've pushed over 30-50TB/mo on 1G fiber plan.

That's an impressive amount of linux ISOs.

• @black said:

@MikeA said: in the past I've pushed over 30-50TB/mo on 1G fiber plan.

very very impressive collection of linux ISOs he must be having

Thanked by 1greentea
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@totalnoob said:

@black said:

You must support your local ISO studios.

• @MikeA said:

@totalnoob said:

@black said:

You must support your local ISO studios.

Going to support now. My people needs me. Thanks for reminding.

Thanked by 2greentea Liso
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

AT&T is very strict on their Home internet.

They really like those who pay for the highest plan and barely use it (watch movies, surf the internet, etc.).

Thanked by 3greentea Plioser Pwner
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@aqua said: They really like those who pay for the highest plan and barely use it (watch movies, surf the internet, etc.).

You mean it is not unlimited? I checked their site, says unlimited and also same speed upload which even some Romanian providers don't offer.

@Maounique said:

@aqua said: They really like those who pay for the highest plan and barely use it (watch movies, surf the internet, etc.).

You mean it is not unlimited? I checked their site, says unlimited and also same speed upload which even some Romanian providers don't offer.

I've honestly never seen, I maybe use 3-4TB/mo and that's with watching 4K movies.

Only issue I've had with AT&T is the range on their router/modem. I'm wayyy too lazy to get different hardware, and plus if there's a issue (where there have been), I want them to know how to fully use the hardware that's running it.

They have their own extenders for ~$50, and I have 2 of them, but even then I'm getting 100 mbps to my PC on a wired connection to it.

If plugged directly to the router, then it's around 800-900mbps.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2022

Use a VPN that supports port forwarding (so that incoming connections work). Pick one from the list here: https://old.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/s9f36q/list_of_vpns_that_allow_portforwarding_2022/

I like AirVPN for port forwarding, because you can forward up to 20 ports, and you choose the port numbers. They're also transparent about how much bandwidth is being used on each server.

With some providers, they only assign you one port, and the port number changes every time you connect.

@Maounique said: same speed upload

This is almost always the case with fiber plans in the USA. It's definitely not the case in Australia where some FTTP plans have okay-enough download speeds, but very very low upload speeds.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@aqua said:

@Maounique said:

I've honestly never seen, I maybe use 3-4TB/mo and that's with watching 4K movies.

Only issue I've had with AT&T is the range on their router/modem. I'm wayyy too lazy to get different hardware, and plus if there's a issue (where there have been), I want them to know how to fully use the hardware that's running it.

They have their own extenders for ~$50, and I have 2 of them, but even then I'm getting 100 mbps to my PC on a wired connection to it.

No place to run some cat 6 cable and another wifi router with higher speeds?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@aqua said: They have their own extenders for ~$50, and I have 2 of them, but even then I'm getting 100 mbps to my PC on a wired connection to it.

I bought a cheap Tenda switch some 15 Eur 1 gbps. I some locations I could get 10 gbps but the infrastructure would be too expensive, plus none of my laptops have a 10 gbps port.

edited December 2022

@risharde said:

@aqua said:

@Maounique said:

There is, but recently haven't had many issues with the 100mbps getting in my way.

Yeah it's seems stupid for paying for 1GBPS, and only receiving 100mbps of it, but I'm to the point that I mainly care about the uptime of it. In the last 6 years or so years I've had it, nothing major has happened.

I was lucky to have fiber ran into my neighborhood while it was still being built and having stupidly low rates for it (at one point they were selling it for $35/mo for 1GBPS "unlimited").

• emgemg Veteran

@risharde said:

My experiences with AT&T as an internet provider were never good. When we moved to our current location, the only internet option was AT&T DSL. The data caps were ridiculously small, and the financial penalties for exceeding them were ridiculously large. We purchased an MLB (baseball) subscription for streaming games that my partner enjoyed. She could not watch more than half of her favorite team's games in any given month, or that alone would have exceeded the stupidly small data caps. I intensely disliked having to monitor and manage our data use to avoid paying the excessive and unreasonable overuse fees.

Eventually cable internet services became available with unlimited data, and I jumped on it as soon as it became available. That was a long time ago. We never looked back. Upload speeds are slow and not that much of an improvement over DSL, but it has not been an issue.

Since then, AT&T fiber rolled into our neighborhood. The only good thing I have to say about the AT&T fiber is that they brought competition, and the cost of internet services from our cable provider were instantly cut in half. That was a great benefit!

AT&T totally botched the rollout in our neighborhood. The service offerings were expensive for what you got. Our very elderly neighbors got 100 mbits/sec download and 10 mbits/sec upload from AT&T fiber for more than we were paying for the same service from the cable, except that the neighbors had data caps and a $10 per month mandatory router box fee. Yes, they had fiber that could easily support 1 Gbit/sec bidirectional. (That was offered as a business plan at very high cost.)

It took years before AT&T finally started to offer a plan without data caps. The mandatory $10 per month router box fee is still there, and the sellers sometimes lie about that they will waive the fee, but when I read the fine print, it is always there - I confirmed that myself. You need the AT&T router box with its fiber modem (?) to connect. Even though the law permits you to own a fiber bridge and eliminate the fee, it does not matter because they don't exist, so you are forced to install AT&T's box, along with its associated monthly fee.

Most municipal governments signed agreements that give the local internet provider an effective monopoly on high speed internet. We have lived in several homes in those areas, and the internet costs are much higher in most cities in our area. We are now fortunate to live in one of the rare places with two high speed internet providers that compete with each other, and the lower costs are apparent and obvious.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

You maybe able to run seedbox but have you also considered calculating the power costs to run what could be a beefy machine 24x7, if you need a seedbox it may work out cheaper to colo the machine and VPN all the traffic to avoid any copyright direct to the colo provider. Thought it maybe worth a mention with all the power prices now going crazy in most places around the world.

• @MikeA said:
    No they won't. If you want your parents to get kicked off AT&T go for it. My current house has AT&T fiber and I believe they have a "3 strike" system for copyright abuse, after 3 reports your service is cancelled.

If you run everything through a VPN it will be fine though, in the past I've pushed over 30-50TB/mo on 1G fiber plan.

Can you please share how you do that without get ATT notice letter? I may just set up a seed box and put personal file and some Linux distro as well.

• @Daniel15 said:
    Use a VPN that supports port forwarding (so that incoming connections work). Pick one from the list here: https://old.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/s9f36q/list_of_vpns_that_allow_portforwarding_2022/

I like AirVPN for port forwarding, because you can forward up to 20 ports, and you choose the port numbers. They're also transparent about how much bandwidth is being used on each server.

With some providers, they only assign you one port, and the port number changes every time you connect.

There's a couple of Dockers with VPN and qbittorrent rolled into one with iptables to prevent IP leaks. I use with PIA (single port forwarding) and it handles the port automatically. I believe AirVPN is the other well supported Docker AIO.