Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would this virtual dedicated seedbox (VDSB) w/ dedicated 2.5" HDD entice you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would this virtual dedicated seedbox (VDSB) w/ dedicated 2.5" HDD entice you?

PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2022 in General

As we are prototyping the miniservers, and from others tasks we have ~500GB 2.5" 5400rpm HDDs laying around, and the demand for lower cost ~dedicated is ever growing.

So the setup would be:
1vCore EPYC Zen1
1.5GiB RAM (includes OS overhead, so minimum is set for ~1700MiB + Max usage for around 2.5GiB)
35GiB SSD OS
500GB 5400rpm HDD Dedicated w/ SSD Cache (Cache pool is shared)
1Gbps Bandwidth
15TB Transfer Outbound, Unlimited Internal, Unmetered Inbound
Seedbox no root: 9.99€/Month, no setup fees etc.

CPU, RAM, OS SSD Storage and Cache pool are shared, but the underlaying drive is dedicated just for you. Assume OS is on RAID0, not sure if all the nodes have enough NVMe capacity free to put on the RAID10 NVMe array for the OS's.

We have 8 ready to go, and once i check if the SAS drives were ~500GB we might have dozens ready to go after just plugging the drives in on spare 2.5" bays.

It is cheap and very limited supply. We could make this mainstay at 19.99€/Mo tho i think. But the cheapness comes from just eliminating waste. We have 2.5" Bays free, and 500GB 5400rpm HDDs laying around unused. But to make it worthwhile, we need ~100% utilization at all times for these, and through automation etc. so no sudo/root access available, but you have full power of non-privileged SSH just like in all our seedboxes.

We considered using these for similar SSD setup, but i am not sure if we have enough RAM + CPU for that on these systems spare, we need more longer term stats for that. For this setup we most def have enough RAM + CPU available on these systems.

This is very special, and not very mainstream offer; Atleast for now. A bit on the holiday spirit :)

After holidays we can make a small testing batch of 8 for you guys if enough interest.

Comments

• make it 2 cores and 4GB Ram --- and you'll get buyers.
    :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2022

I don't see the point compared to a KS1 for 2x less.
    100 Mbit can also push up to 30 TB per month, not 15.
    And 2-4x more storage.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:
    I don't see the point compared to a KS1 for 2x less.
    100 Mbit can also push up to 30 TB per month, not 15.
    And 2-4x more storage.

Our primary userbase prefers higher bandwidth. and how many KS1 there really are? Aren't those always out of stock? They are sold well under cost

• This is double the price of HostHatch's BF deal, with 1/4 of the HDD space, less RAM, same CPU and less bandwidth. So, no from me. And KS1 are plentiful too, you just might need to wait a week or so.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like uniform No. We'll just ewaste the drives then and keep bays empty :)