Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Dedicated Servers Survey. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Dedicated Servers Survey.

2»

Comments

• @bijan588 said: Volumedrive?

The Intel G530 is on VolumeDrive, and the other one is colo'd by a small provider. All US based, can't stand OVH/Kimsufi.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Derek said: Well, my original idea was E-350, 8GB Ram, and SSD (Mostly to save power) about $200 on hardware, I own one and have had thoughts about it. Uses on average 33watts.

I have a very similar setup, but no SSD as I need a lot of space for my VMs and SSDs are not cheap over here. With 2 hdd sata 2 and sata 3 total 3 tb, 8 gb ram sodimm and pretty aggressive power saving policies it does about 35 watts in average, lower than the passively cooled atom D510 with NM10 chipset and same HDDs (regular DIMMs tho for ram). Also offers more performance even tho it does have a much better graphic part that I have no use for currently. I think that virtualization support lowers a lot CPU utilization, it was about double on atom. The E350 board was twice as costly but it does have USB 3.0, bluetooth and PCI-E over the atom board as well as much more SATA connectors (some are sata 3).
    SSDs have only 2 downsides, capacity and price. Reliability is not a concern anymore, I know someone which has a raid 0 in a laptop made of 2 SSDs and is working perfectly for 2 years now about 15 hours a day or more of which at least 4-5 of very heavy load.
    M

• SSDs actually make minecraft servers slightly more stable, despite the software still a buggy peice of crap.

• @Daniel said: SSDs actually make minecraft servers slightly more stable, despite the software still a buggy peice of crap.

Actually, not that much. It would be WAY better to put the extra money into RAM, or a better CPU.

I work for a Minecraft GSP. Although we have SSD's, the improvement wasn't great.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

I was evaluating the supermicro microcloud a few days ago for a new line of dedicated server service and I think it 's a bit costly. However 8 servers in 3u are cool :)
    In italy there is a company that build some 5u or 6u cabinets that allow you to pack 8 servers built with standard mini micro atx mobo... http://www.server8.it

• fanfan Veteran

@lele0108 said: 2x Intel L5420 (Near E3 Sandy Bridge Performance)

250Gb HDD (Upgraded to 2Tb RAID0 for $15/month)
    8Gb DDR3 EEC RAM
    $50

Could you please PM me the address of this provider?

• @lele0108 said: 2x Intel L5420 (Near E3 Sandy Bridge Performance)

250Gb HDD (Upgraded to 2Tb RAID0 for $15/month)
    8Gb DDR3 EEC RAM
    $50

Intel G530 (Sandy Bridge)
    250Gb HDD (Upgraded to 500Gb RAID0 for $15 one time)
    4Gb DDR3 RAM
    $40

Who? Could you send me a pm?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/
    That is a wide choice.
    M

• @prometeus said: evaluating the supermicro microcloud a few days ago for a new line of dedicated server service and I think it 's a bit costly. However 8 servers in 3u are cool :)

I bought one to replace 6 dedicated server customers that have been with me for 6 years now who were on some really old AMD x2/Sempron gear with 1-2gb of ram and 80gb drives. Those servers when new were $400-500 each and 6 years of payments, they earned their keep. I'm sure in Italy it would be very costly to use the MicroCloud, but after configuring all mine with an E3-1230, 8gb of ram, and using old 1tb drives I had laying around, it was $750/blade to equip all 8 units, and it draws about 4.5A so I saved 3U of space, have 2 additional blades to make use of, and I'm sure draw less power overall, and when you stretch this purchase out over the 4-6 years of life I will get out of it, the added cost is very minimal. And I have 6 very happy high paying customers who won't be looking at alternatives as I did this as a no cost upgrade for them.

• @huluwa said: Intel G530 (Sandy Bridge)

250Gb HDD (Upgraded to 500Gb RAID0 for $15 one time)
    4Gb DDR3 RAM
    $40

The provider is VolumeDrive.

• DerekDerek Member

That's decent too. I don't know how they keep up with power costs through.

• Would look much like: !(http://www.fdcservers.net/images/denver_pcs11.gif)

That rack density is very low, especially if you consider those are $30/month LEB boxes.

Gauging by the picture, it looks like 12x5 = 60 servers per rack x 2 racks = 120 servers

Width of bread racks = 4x standard 42U racks.

42Ux4 = 168 servers in basically the same amount of space you are getting 120 servers out of.

Standard 42U density won't cut it either, ideally you should be able to pack in 200+ dedicateds into that space.

Bread rack density using slim desktop cases will put you out of business at $30 a month.

If you want to succeed with $30, you'll have to surpass even 42U density.

Something along these lines might be more suitable, but at $375 per unit not including ram/drive, a year won't cover cost of the gear, and if I can't recoup cost in 4-6 months, it's not worth my time to look at.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited March 2012

@miTgiB said: Something along these lines might be more suitable, but at $375 per unit not including ram/drive, a year won't cover cost of the gear, and if I can't recoup cost in 4-6 months, it's not worth my time to look at.

Yup, those look pretty nice. That looks to be 4x servers in 2U. 84 servers in 42U with no custom racking needed.

The initial investment is high with a slow return but I believe that's the only way to make it with lowend dedicateds due to low monthly return ($30).

edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: why not charge some type of set up cost ?

The setup fee/charge does help but it's still a long way from the ~$500 deployment per server.

• @kiloserve said: That looks to be 4x servers in 2U.

8x in 2U

• @DotVPS said: I guess..

At ~500 per unit earning you $30-$50 or a MicroCloud at ~750 per unit earning you $150-$200 the Atom never really materialized as a viable option for the retail data center. The Atom is a great storage server, small web server and many other options, but with as cheap as we all know a LEB can be, why opt for an Atom or other LED unless you have a very specific need that cannot be served by a LEB.

edited March 2012

@miTgiB said: 8x in 2U

Wow, that's crazy, 2 Atoms per board?

That's some massive rack density 168 "servers" in 42u with each server having access to 3X Sata.

If I were to try LED at $30, that's the kind of rack density I'd be looking for.

• @kiloserve said: If I were to try LED at $30, that's the kind of rack density I'd be looking for.

With a 24 month wait for return on capitol, you'd be dead in month 3 or 4 without a loan/lease. And I don't know what you could get 24-36 months from now at what cost to warrant $500 today for an Atom, and if it will still command $30. Now if you are Joe Fortune 500, and have a specific use, it's Christmas Club money.

Tim, this is the configuration I was evaluating:

5037MC-H8TRF
    8 x cpu Intel Xeon E3 1230
    8 x 8Gb RAM DDR3 Ecc 1333Mhz ( 2*4Gb )
    8 x ssd Intel 520 120Gb sata3

Total €7300

Without SSD it was about €6000 without disks....

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2012

PM if you want a link to some cheap 1U L5420 servers in the UK.

edited March 2012

@miTgiB said: With a 24 month wait for return on capitol, you'd be dead in month 3 or 4 without a loan/lease. And I don't know what you could get 24-36 months from now at what cost to warrant $500 today for an Atom, and if it will still command $30. Now if you are Joe Fortune 500, and have a specific use, it's Christmas Club money.

I do agree with this.

Any low end dedicated (LED) startup would need to have to have the capital to withstand a few years before they get a ROI.

LED has to be a long-term plan. Going into it with non-power efficient dedis, a large/in-efficient datacenter footprint or with low capital will not work.

• @prometeus said: Without SSD it was about €6000 without disks....

That's about $7850, not a terrible premium over the $6000 I just paid for the exact same config, and if the price included VAT, I would have taken it. I used already on hand 1tb Hitachi DeathStars, but they can be bought new today for around $100 each.

edited March 2012

@miTgiB said: I would have taken it

We are looking at the details for the dedi offer and since we don't know which servers will be requested more we need to buy different servers with different hardware combo (I'm looking at some atom for LED). My budget is 25-30K€ so I should choose carefully.

• pcanpcan Member

There is a very nice picture gallery of OVH datacenter on the following page. They use basically bare motherboards (47 bi-xeon mainboards per rack):
    http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-2/

• @prometeus said: we don't know which servers will be requested

A nice think about the MicroCloud is it will accept any type 2 1155 socket CPU and it doesn't have that spastic 82574L NIC EL hates like all the rest of the SuperMicro Sandy Bridges line does.

@miTgiB said: A nice think about the MicroCloud

If I buy some of these you should ask for a commission to supermicro :)

• @prometeus said: you should ask for a commission to supermicro

I'm still in shock my cheap ass bought one. I've got some really crazy idea cooking right now that if I pull the trigger will have a dual E5 in my hands.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser