Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you look for in Storage machines
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you look for in Storage machines

Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

As the title states: What do you look for in Storage machines?

Our Storage VPS line has been successful and we are wanting to add storage dedicated servers in 2023 to our lineup in.

What features are customers wanting in a storage dedicated line?

Some commenting topics could be: minimum bandwidth, budget, storage size, location, CPU model, ram etc...

Really just wanting to hear from others what they value before we decide if we would introduce any storage plans in 2023.

Thanked by 1gtxr

Comments

• Really oftopic, but I am waiting for a Europe location of LVL1

• Port speed, storage size, bandwidth should have minimum 5x total storage (e.g. 1tb storage should have 5tb bandwidth minimum).

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Man if you can give me 4 x big drives with 100TB's we are cooking with grease!

size : min 1 TB
    CPU RAM : whatever
    payment option monthly/annually, can switch later
    bandwith : 1 TB
    port 100 mbps

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Whats the idea price per TB people want on dedicated storage systems?

@0xOkami said:
    Really oftopic, but I am waiting for a Europe location of LVL1

Our management team wants EU as well!

• the ideal storage machine for me:
    RAM: 2TB

everything is stored on RAM

• Depends on responsiveness, volume, and bandwidth.

But personally, I sometimes need like 50TB for atmospheric data on 10Gbit port with direct peering to AWS/Azure/GCP/NASA. It's ideal to have this, but not exactly necessary right now. Which is why I haven't bought one yet. But man... it'd make everything so much easier.

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Depends on responsiveness, volume, and bandwidth.

But personally, I sometimes need like 50TB for atmospheric data on 10Gbit port with direct peering to AWS/Azure/GCP/NASA. It's ideal to have this, but not exactly necessary right now. Which is why I haven't bought one yet. But man... it'd make everything so much easier.

What CPU's do you require when working with these projects of yours or does it not matter to you?

@comXyz said:
    the ideal storage machine for me:

loses power for 10 seconds :|

• @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

@comXyz said:
    the ideal storage machine for me:

loses power for 10 seconds :|

A+B+C+D power + UPS + ATS

• @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

@0xOkami said:
    Really oftopic, but I am waiting for a Europe location of LVL1

Our management team wants EU as well!

Count me in!

• @Ian_Dot_Tech said: What CPU's do you require when working with these projects of yours or does it not matter to you?

Depends on what's available for computing purposes.

For example, having a large amount of computing power (with the channels, aka an EPYC 9554 or something would be great). But also if I can get full 10Gbit (and complementary speed on storage mediums) then a local node purely for computing would be nice too.

This is for highly data and computationally intensive workflow. Some things do prefer the higher clockspeeds, but for most of our work we can parallelize it and keep it fast that way.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited December 2022

Enough disks for exotic raid configs, ie 3 or more

A VDS approach to storage servers would be interesting, but with dedicated disks (passed through individually without raid) rather than dedicated cores

I think most would prefer reliable IO latency/throughput above all else in a storage server

• Speaking only for myself, when I bought a storage VM, I wanted it as a backup and storage locker of encrypted data. Things important to me were storage size, actual achievable bandwidth worldwide (at least 100 megabit real-world speed from most cities in the world), price, and consistent single-core CPU speed (600+ geekbench5 score).

• The dream config for me would be a vds with igpu pass through and 3 disks.

• raviravi Member
    edited December 2022

1) Location + Port speed + RAM + CPU + Disk
    2) YABS result -> disk read / write speed and network speed.
    3) Price -> Price should be around $3-4 / TB / month

• A local nvme 15gb, 1x cpu with close to 800 geekbench, 2 tb storage ,1.2gb ram , this can be very versatile static server + backup server

• 3TB Storage with unilimited 100mbit / ~6TB 1gbit Bandwidth for my cold storage
    For now I using Hetzner BX21 which overkill cause I using only around ~1.3TB for now :D

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2022

I would prefer SSD/RAM cached HDD storage VPS myself, it combines cheap prices and good amount of storage with relatively fast speeds.

CPU/RAM/Port/Location is mostly irrelevant as long as its not older than Sandy Bridge chipset or DDR3 or slower than 100Mbps.

• opiqopiq Member
    edited December 2022

2-2.5/TB would be the best price. Specs don't matter as long as the R/W is faster than the port speed.

Some disk redundancy and please, good routing (upload & download) from important locations throughout the world.

Edit: I don't know which locations your storage machines are currently offered in, but APAC & EU locations usually give me good speeds.

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

minimum bandwidth = 4TB minimum, unmetered is better
    budget = $2/TB/month it should be $24/y for 1TB or $48/y for 2TB
    storage size = 1TB or 2TB
    location = does not matter but prefer that have good connection to Asia
    CPU model = not too old, at least using DDR4 ram & at least 2 cpu core
    ram = 2GB minimal, more is better

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2022

I think that the DDR4 requirement is not a thing considering the price point that these storage servers are require to have in order to be sold in the low end.

In terms of prices I believe it should be close to what the usual mainstream providers are charging and a few dollars on top since we are getting a full VPS. The thing is bandwidth should be plenty, shouldn't need to be DDoS protected.

• minimum
    3vcpu
    1GB ram
    1gbps port - 1TB transfer

500GB, 1TB, 2TB options

Cheaper when paid yearly and premium blend of connectivity

Los Angeles, Singapore, Australia are hot

• Maximum storage for minimum cost.

• 512/1TB, 512/1GB, 1vCPU, 1IPv4, public torrents allowed, not more than $30/yr

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Cheaper than storage at a cloud provider like Google, Dropbox, OneDrive etc, since you're not getting the same redundancy and backups with a single storage VPS compared to a cloud drive. They're generally ~$5/TB/month.

A server that's not 10 years old.

Private networking (an actually private VLAN/VXLAN, not just an internal network) for communication with other servers in the same region.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jmaxwell said:
    512/1TB, 512/1GB, 1vCPU, 1IPv4, public torrents allowed, not more than $30/yr

I'd prefer NAT, so that I can plausibly deny downloading a file, because it may be downloaded by another user on the same IP.
    I know what you download

• torrent is not really needed. They are a serious host, cmon...
    Don't come with the linux iso bullshit haha.

So for the comments addressing storage VPS's we actually offer storage VPS line at $4/TB which has done well. Especially when we hold sales on it.

I am more looking for suggestions on dedicated servers with mass storage what people would like to see drive, CPU, location and network wise or other suggestions.

Thanks all for the input though!