Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much money did your company earn this month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much money did your company earn this month

Hi was wondering how much money webhosting companies are making each month. I am currently earning about 400 dollars per month. Enjoy

Thanked by 2ehab Advin

Comments

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Topic bookmarked, let's see if anyone is sharing their revenue

• ehabehab Member
    edited December 2022

@atmwebhost said:
    Hi was wondering how much money webhosting companies are making each month. I am currently earning about 400 dollars per month. Enjoy

what are you doing?

i can only photocopy -- send fax and make tea..... i don't do anything else,,, except watch behind the shutters for any couriers or pizza boxs .

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

At least a dollar. In all seriousness, if there are some serious responses in here, I'm also kind of interested to see what other people make in the hosting industry.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2022

We try to average about $30,000 USD per month. Last month was 72 for Black Friday.

The small print:

Fees, loan payments (paid off by BF sales), payroll (with taxes), and overhead can really chip away at those numbers. Throw in an OVH migration without Rise/Eco servers and the payroll for two nearly dead months after Black Friday to really take the dream out of those BF sales. We're doing well, but the business has a lot more potential than would be reflected by my personal bank account. I'm more interested in growing it than turning a profit or buying new cars.

• @atmwebhost said:
    I am currently earning about 400 dollars per month.

Pay bilohbucks, post offers here and see that $400 becoming $4000

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

I remember back in 2015 when our game host made its first $1000/month in revenue.
    Was a very joyful moment to achieve (for a small game host). Amazing how far we have grown from those days.

• not much unless you sell drugs .

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

yoursunny summer host earned nothing for this month.
    Solar storm caused the network to go offline for 36 hours.
    We got 250 tickets for the downtime.

• @yoursunny said:

Obviously not. It’s winter now.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

Sounds like you should move your infra to ColoCrossing. :#

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

The answer can get complicated since the majority of our revenue is not from 'webhosting' specifically. Our biggest revenue drivers are the GPU/HPC servers and it's not even close. They also cost the most to deploy (up-front and on-going operations) so there is that to consider. It helps that the last year has seen a massive uptick in demand for those units as well so they're virtually never in-stock and have a waiting list of customers. At the moment we have approximately ~120 4/8 GPU servers racked and full in two locations.

The dedicated and VPS options make more per watt of deployed hardware but require about 300-400 (smallest package) customers for each single GPU server customer, so there is additional support/csr strain to factor against the profitability. We all still enjoy the work a lot though, have met a lot of very interesting people, and believe it's good to have some diversity in product offering. It's just as cool to see someone create a unique and useful tool/site on a $3 VPS as it is to see what kind of rendering or AI tool came off a $1500 A6000 rig.

Monthly gross revenues are generally in the ~$150k to 200k/mo range on average but there are infrastructure (building, power, fiber, EOL hardware maintenance) costs, salaries (5 full time plus a handful of long-term contractors), taxes, new hardware, etc so it isn't all free and clear.

Same as @jar though, it isn't flowing into my personal bank account so looking there wouldn't really be an accurate reflection of potential and health of company :D

• Does stress relates to earnings? I mean, the more you earn the less stress you feel because of safety?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@LTniger said: the more you earn the less stress you feel because of safety?

To some degree. I will say the more money I have in the payroll account, the better I sleep at night. It's less stressful to know, with fair certainty, that your next paycheck is already accounted for.

Thanked by 1greentea

@LTniger said:
    Does stress relates to earnings? I mean, the more you earn the less stress you feel because of safety?

Yes and no. From my personal experience: it's more stressful compared to 10 years ago because back then I could work part time and cover all the opex/hardware costs with how small the operations were and there were no other people/families relying on their salary from me. The bigger your customer base gets, the more 'mission-critical' or likelihood of important apps/sites running on your services becomes and that adds a level of stress--but also comfort.

On the flip side, it makes you more accountable and focused. You won't just pack it in at 2am and fold into obscurity, it isn't a hobby at that scale (and we're still pretty small).

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @dustinc want to share?

Thanked by 2ehab greentea
  • 7$

Thanked by 1greentea
  • A million bucks. Why do you care?

• @Erisa said:
    @dustinc want to share?

i double this request :=)

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • I think most profitable provider here is @dustinc and @Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bdspice said: I think most profitable provider here is @dustinc and @Francisco

I doubt that, there's some big providers on here like Hivel and others.

Francisco

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

Profit depends on sell. Your servers are always out of stock. Most selling providers i see you & dustinc

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

@crunchbits said:
    The answer can get complicated since the majority of our revenue is not from 'webhosting' specifically. Our biggest revenue drivers are the GPU/HPC servers and it's not even close. They also cost the most to deploy (up-front and on-going operations) so there is that to consider. It helps that the last year has seen a massive uptick in demand for those units as well so they're virtually never in-stock and have a waiting list of customers. At the moment we have approximately ~120 4/8 GPU servers racked and full in two locations.

The dedicated and VPS options make more per watt of deployed hardware but require about 300-400 (smallest package) customers for each single GPU server customer, so there is additional support/csr strain to factor against the profitability. We all still enjoy the work a lot though, have met a lot of very interesting people, and believe it's good to have some diversity in product offering. It's just as cool to see someone create a unique and useful tool/site on a $3 VPS as it is to see what kind of rendering or AI tool came off a $1500 A6000 rig.

Monthly gross revenues are generally in the ~$150k to 200k/mo range on average but there are infrastructure (building, power, fiber, EOL hardware maintenance) costs, salaries (5 full time plus a handful of long-term contractors), taxes, new hardware, etc so it isn't all free and clear.

Same as @jar though, it isn't flowing into my personal bank account so looking there wouldn't really be an accurate reflection of potential and health of company :D

Very impressive! Noticed from your website you have 1.2MW of racked kit too, that's massive! What facility do you host in?

Thanked by 1jar

@Zare said:

@crunchbits said:

Very impressive! Noticed from your website you have 1.2MW of racked kit too, that's massive! What facility do you host in?

It's a lot less servers than 'traditional' data when many of them are ~3.5kW per 4U chassis and they really hit that number, so we can't push the PDUs. The 1.2MW number is temporarily a bit lower as well since one of our 2 self-owned facilities was sold in October and a bunch of gear is being retrofitted for efficiency. We have started coloing with one LET provider (IonSwitch) that is local and great, another cage space currently being finished in the southwest US(won't name until it's 100% done), H5 Datacenters, and a third new build joint datacenter option coming online ~March/April 2023 to pick up the slack.

Thanked by 2hackerman greentea
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

The exact amount doesn't really matter. The right question would be to ask how do you feel your profit is enough or not enough?
    PS. But a classic businessman always needs to answer "no, it's not enough" :)

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@bdspice said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Profit depends on sell. Your servers are always out of stock. Most selling providers i see you & dustinc

There are big name companies on here like Fran said, Hivelocity who own 2 of its own data centers and have services in (almost) every single continent.

Contabo I bet is up there aswell.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • Appreciate the visibility and openness to all.

As a note to others, (and I hate saying this but we all know it's going to happen sooner or later) this 100% does not mean go to them and beg for free service "because you already make money anyways!".

Thanked by 2ralf greentea
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Ramen noodle.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Appreciate the visibility and openness to all.

As a note to others, (and I hate saying this but we all know it's going to happen sooner or later) this 100% does not mean go to them and beg for free service "because you already make money anyways!".

You’re also opening yourself to ransom attacks because someone now has an idea of how much you make and can probably afford.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @Francisco said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Appreciate the visibility and openness to all.

You’re also opening yourself to ransom attacks because someone now has an idea of how much you make and can probably afford.

Francisco

Every company in Sweden is then at risk.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

More than $1 and less than $1,000,000 per month.

;)