Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 2012 R2 problem on Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 2012 R2 problem on Proxmox

I installed Windows 2012 R2 on VPS from a template that was provided by the provider. I tried to install Windows Updates which were total 111 and more than 2GB in size. Download and installation went fine but when I restarted VPS (as you need to restart after installing certain updates), I saw error message from Windows that it was unable to install so it is now revoking/removing updates.

I don't remember the exact message, but it was something like above. And the message is shown on blue screen before login where you normally see "Installing updates 12% please do not turn off your PC". So instead of this message, it was showing above message above removing/revoking updates as Windows was unable to install.

After a couple of days, I reinstalled Windows 2012 R2 from template and again ran updates. After restart it got stuck at Proxmo at following screen.

It remained like this for like 10 or 12 hours after which I restarted machine from panel and then it showed another error given below.

Clearly the VM seems to be broken now as I did a couple of more restarts but same issue. So I opened ticket and support fixed it and reinstalled Windows 2012 R2 from template.

This time I again ran Windows Update but I was cautious. I decided to install only one update at a time so I went ahead and installed oldest update from 2014 which went successful. But then I thought it would take a very long time to install all 111 updates so I just selected updates from 2014 which were like 8 or 9 (less than 100MB total) and installation went fine but after restart, I came across same VM problem screen which Permission check failed and is posted above. No Proxmox update screen was shown this time but straight to that VM error.

Does anybody have idea why this is happening? VPS has 16GB RAM so that is not an issue. Plus it has 2 vCPU. May be it is dependent on some feature like bitlocker or something because this is what I read in one article when updates failed the first time!?

May be I just take my sweet time and install it one by one?

Comments

• This is the message I am talking about.

• Please close Windows Update and Open command prompt and white: net stop wuauserv

Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the content off the folder (if it produções an setor execute the command above one more time)

Restart the server and search for new updates to see if it fixed the problem.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

Check your RDP connection and see if it is working

• emgemg Veteran

This is just a reminder that Windows Server 2012 R2 will no longer be supported by Microsoft in less than a year. End of support is October 2023.

End of support means no security updates. Over time, about 25% of the vulnerabilities patched in the current version of Windows also applied to versions of Windows that did not receive the patches because they were "end of support." Attackers reverse engineer the patches and then search for and attack older versions of Windows.

Carry on.

• @danielcardosopt said:
    Please close Windows Update and Open command prompt and white: net stop wuauserv

Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the content off the folder (if it produções an setor execute the command above one more time)

Restart the server and search for new updates to see if it fixed the problem.

Already tried that but no luck.

• @Advin said:
    Check your RDP connection and see if it is working

Yeah it is working fine now. Let me install some more updates from 2015 and see how it goes. Thanks for the support.

• Any reason why not use an updated version of windows server? Is 2012 needed?

• Yeah I can use Windows 2022 but I thought I will try 2012 as it require less RAM as I also need to install SharePoint on it.

• I run 2019 on 2gb 1core and works wonders

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:
    I run 2019 on 2gb 1core and works wonders

2019 will generally take up more resources than 2012, although 2019 will be a lot more secure and modern

• @Advin said:

@plumberg said:
    I run 2019 on 2gb 1core and works wonders

2019 will generally take up more resources than 2012, although 2019 will be a lot more secure and modern

Yeh. OPs current server spec says 16gb ram with 2cores. That should be more than enough use 2019 server, making it more modern and secure overall

• @plumberg said:
    Any reason why not use an updated version of windows server? Is 2012 needed?

Windows Server licenses are expensive.

• @TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:

Per the OP, license wasn't the issue at any point

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:

@TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:

Per the OP, license wasn't the issue at any point

Actually, OP doesn't mention licenses at all. Just that he's installing from template. The server doesn't have a datacenter license..

I'm not saying the licensing has anything to do with the problem, just that it was cheaper and he likely has a 2012 R2 license but not a 2019/2022 license.

Anyway, I was answering the "any reason..." part.

• Reason for using Windows 2012 is because of SharePoint which require a lot of RAM to run. I can use Windows 2022 and SharePoint 2019 which I believe will also work but since SharePoint 2013 is also fine for my task, so I thought why not save some RAM.