Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HideAway VPN - New Lifetime VPN on Stacksocial with some rather special features
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HideAway VPN - New Lifetime VPN on Stacksocial with some rather special features

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited December 2022 in General

Just found out about HideAway VPN Lifetime Subscription on Stacksocial. Price tag is at 49,99$ (no discounts calculated in). It appears to be a product of Firetrust product line (they also offer AV, Email encryption and other related software) and comes with some rather special features. For example, it apparently allows you to re-route traffic application-specific (e.g. one application to US, one to EU, one to Asia..) and has some more custom rules planned. It also boosts that it's way faster than its' competitors (nothing new here; common ad strategy). Still it could be worth a look.

Disclaimer: I haven't googled up on this one yet/didn't check for any reviews. DYOR :)
It's either a scam, or actually innovative/interesting.

Some interesting screenshots with features:

Comments

• Looks and sounds like malware

Thanked by 3Ympker Void the_doctor
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

@TheGreatOakley said:
    Looks and sounds like malware

Didn't try it. Could either be a total scammy thing, or actually good. Will google up on Firetrust and the software a bit later. Meanwhile, DYOR as (like I mentioned in OP), I didn't check for any reviews about them yet.

Fwiw, Crunchbase entry:

• kidrockkidrock Member
    edited December 2022

@Ympker said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

Didn't try it. Could either be a total scammy thing, or actually good. Will google up on Firetrust and the software a bit later. Meanwhile, DYOR as (like I mentioned in OP), I didn't check for any reviews about them yet.

Fwiw, Crunchbase entry:

On their site, they provide 12 hours free trial. Can you try speed test to few countries using Wireguard protocol and compare with other VPNs you have?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @kidrock said:

@Ympker said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

Fwiw, Crunchbase entry:

On their site, they provide 12 hours free trial. Can you try speed to few countries using Wireguard protocol and compare with other VPNs you have?

If I find the time and if there are no stirngs attached

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • morrekemorreke Member
    edited December 2022

I did some testing with their trail and results are quite good

I have a 300/30 (speedtest: 285/28.5) cable connection based in Belgium:
    Here are some speedtest results
    Europe(mostly NL):

• Keepsolid: 270/27 link
    • Hideaway: 287/28.5 link
    • Own wireguard VPN greencloudvps NL: 272.25/26.8 link

New York:

• Keepsolid: 217/7.2 link
    • Hideaway: 240/28.19 link

Los angeles:

• Keepsolid: 224/4.89 link
    • Hideaway: 255/28.14 link

In general very good results, but maybe their server dont have a lot of usage.
    Other remaks: with most servers I tested I got a IPV6 adress ass well and the split tunneling also worked well

I also didnt know this company, so no idea if they are descent in general.

Thanked by 2Ympker abangnoob
  • @morreke said:
    I did some testing and results are quite good

I have a 300/30 (speedtest: 285/28.5) cable connection based in Belgium:
    Here are some speedtest results
    Europe(mostly NL):

• Keepsolid: 270/27 link
    • Hideaway: 287/28.5 link
    • Own wireguard VPN greencloudvps NL: 272.25/26.8 link

New York:

• Keepsolid: 217/7.2 link
    • Hideaway: 240/28.19 link

Los angeles:

• Keepsolid: 224/4.89 link
    • Hideaway: 255/28.14 link

In general very good results, but maybe their server dont have a lot of usage.
    Other remaks: with most servers I tested I got a IPV6 adress ass well and the split tunneling also worked well

Thanks for the feedback, mate! Right now I don't really have a use-case for it that I can't already achieve with Keepsolid/other VPN. Additionally, it only supports Windows. But I'll keep it in mind for sure :)

• That traffic reroute per specific application sounds quite interesting, not use I know of any other VPN that does that.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @kalimov622 said:
    That traffic reroute per specific application sounds quite interesting, not use I know of any other VPN that does that.

That's why I brought it up. This feature is kinda unique. Haven't seen this one in any of the other VPNs I use(d).

• What they claim to do is impossible with a regular VPN. This sounds similar to what ControlD does which does it over DNS (over HTTPS or regular) and because of that it has the flexibility of route individual services via different proxies.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

@hacktek said:
    What they claim to do is impossible with a regular VPN. This sounds similar to what ControlD does which does it over DNS (over HTTPS or regular) and because of that it has the flexibility of route individual services via different proxies.

Could very well be the case. Certainly not your "regular" vpn service.

• @kidrock said:
    On their site, they provide 12 hours free trial. Can you try speed test to few countries using Wireguard protocol and compare with other VPNs you have?

From the little research I did, I don't think they use WireGuard. I think it's an https tunnel, like AdGuard VPN.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • seilentseilent Member
    edited December 2022

The specific app tunnel seems interesting, so far been using windscribe because I can pick which app goes through the VPN.

But if its just https tunnel (or probably shadowsocks) then not much reason to use it as I can just use proxifier for my PC.

• Needs port forwarding in 2023..

• @hacktek said:
    What they claim to do is impossible with a regular VPN. This sounds similar to what ControlD does which does it over DNS (over HTTPS or regular) and because of that it has the flexibility of route individual services via different proxies.

Had a look with Wireshark and it is indeed socks proxy.

• @morreke said:

@hacktek said:

Had a look with Wireshark and it is indeed socks proxy.

That would explain the speed boost

• If it's a socks proxy this isn't even a vpn since socks isn't encrypted lol

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

@hacktek said:
    If it's a socks proxy this isn't even a vpn since socks isn't encrypted lol

Yup. Marketing probably thinks the avg customer won't know that anyway..

• no mac client?