Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Optimizing the directadmin server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Optimizing the directadmin server

Hello, I have a private server with a directadmin installed and I have created dozens of accounts. I've noticed that sometimes sites slow down.

What can I do to host more websites on the server and improve performance? Yes, I can limit users' ram and cpu usage a little more, but performance may be badly affected.

I'm looking for suggestions from experienced system administrators.

• A litespeed web server has been installed on the server.

Comments

• How much RAM do you have?

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Upgrade to a better VPS with dedicated resources or a dedicated server.

In web hosting you get what you pay for. How many "dozens" are we talking about? What are your server specs, the provider, amount being paid, is dedicated resources or fair share? What's the network port speed?

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Simplest solution is upgrade your VPS.

I've noticed that sometimes sites slow down.

When this happens check your VPS with top command to find which service is using most resources. May be its time when DA is creating backups.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

If you need an easy way, try using CloudLinux. This will automatically limit resources for each user and help prevent server performance degradation.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Not really anything to work with.

No mention on what type of sites.

No mention of specifications.

No mention of server load.

"Hi, how much would my house cost to fix up?"

• @tjn said:
    How much RAM do you have?

8 GB and 6 core cpu

@Hxxx said:
    Upgrade to a better VPS with dedicated resources or a dedicated server.

In web hosting you get what you pay for. How many "dozens" are we talking about? What are your server specs, the provider, amount being paid, is dedicated resources or fair share? What's the network port speed?

I'm looking for suggestions that can reduce server load without upgrading the server. For example, turning off or restricting some features.

@ravi said:
    Simplest solution is upgrade your VPS.

I've noticed that sometimes sites slow down.

When this happens check your VPS with top command to find which service is using most resources. May be its time when DA is creating backups.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will check it.

@rustelekom said:
    If you need an easy way, try using CloudLinux. This will automatically limit resources for each user and help prevent server performance degradation.

Thank you for your reply.

@emgh said:
    Not really anything to work with.

No mention on what type of sites.

No mention of specifications.

No mention of server load.

"Hi, how much would my house cost to fix up?"

Oh sorry. Yes, there are no details.

Websites are usually built with wordpress.
    Actually what I'm looking for is using capable software or suggestions to optimize performance at the server/panel level.

For example, in the previous message @rustelekom suggested cloudlinux.

Thanked by 1emgh

@thecreator_ said:

WordPress sites are mostly being abused by botnets using a brute force attack on the admin or user login page. You can reduce the load by simply changing the URL for both. The easiest way to do this is to use some plugin that is easy to find on the free WordPress plugin market.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

What @rustelekom said is nice for security but that's usually not the curlpit when it comes to speed I'd say.

So do what he said, but, also: Set up proper caching. Right now, my stack that I use & love for my client is:

• NGINX Web Server
    • Nginx FastCGI Page Caching
    • Redis Object Caching
    • 7G WAF Firewall

I've used this setup for a long time, but switched from Redis to Nginx FastCGI when it came to Page Caching. It seems better for dynamic content without as much manual work per site added.

I run this on a 4 GB Vultr High Frequency VPS.

Doing the details right, it's hard to make WordPress run slow.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @thecreator_ said:

@tjn said:
    How much RAM do you have?

8 GB and 6 core cpu

How many WordPress sites / users you are hosting on that server?

• @jcolideles said:
    How many WordPress sites / users you are hosting on that server?

With all the data you've given us, this will be the most important factor

• @rustelekom said:

@thecreator_ said:

WordPress sites are mostly being abused by botnets using a brute force attack on the admin or user login page. You can reduce the load by simply changing the URL for both. The easiest way to do this is to use some plugin that is easy to find on the free WordPress plugin market.

That's an okay security measure to take, but not one I prefer since it's just security by obscurity.

• Without context it would be hard to recommend you anything. Anyone who tries to make a recommendation without context basically is guessing in the dark.

• @bandito said:

@rustelekom said:

@thecreator_ said:

That's an okay security measure to take, but not one I prefer since it's just security by obscurity.

Eh, if changing the WordPress admin URL to PRuNwnYmXwA7p7 is security by obscurity, so is using a password at all.

Thanked by 1ElonBezos

Of course, this is just a general recommendation, but it gives one of the directions for investigation. This is a common problem of forums, as well as a remote doctor's recommendation - without direct contact with the patient, it is impossible to diagnose his health problems well. Therefore, it is always better to contact your system administrator or figure out the problem yourself and improve your skills.

• @thecreator_ said:
    Hello, I have a private server with a directadmin installed and I have created dozens of accounts. I've noticed that sometimes sites slow down.

What can I do to host more websites on the server and improve performance? Yes, I can limit users' ram and cpu usage a little more, but performance may be badly affected.

Well how much are you allocating your users. Because I deal with more than dozens of accounts and even though I am using a dedicated server it shouldn't be slowing down your VPS. Now what host are you using specifically?

• @hollowvi1 said:

@thecreator_ said:

Well how much are you allocating your users. Because I deal with more than dozens of accounts and even though I am using a dedicated server it shouldn't be slowing down your VPS. Now what host are you using specifically?

Server speed can be the curlpit but it usually isn’t.

Having the right stack, when it comes to WP and all of it’s PHP & MySQL load that it requires, makes much more difference in most cases.

• @emgh said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@thecreator_ said:

Server speed can be the curlpit but it usually isn’t.

Having the right stack, when it comes to WP and all of it’s PHP & MySQL load that it requires, makes much more difference in most cases.

this is true

Thanked by 1emgh