Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WordPress issue.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordPress issue.

I noticed that my site started doing this error when I try to update any plug-in. My hosting provider said it could be a permission issue. So I went in and fixed all that accordingly. But it is still giving this error. So has anyone else ever had to deal with this? And if so how did you fix it?

An error occurred while updating Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall: The update cannot be installed because some files could not be copied. This is usually due to inconsistent file permissions. safe-load/wp-settings.php, images/index.php, index.php

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

Seems like it was also a permission issue in this case: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/the-update-cannot-be-installed-because-some-files-could-not-be-copied-this-is-u/

Have you done what is described by the Plugin Support in the above link? And is it still not working? I realize the link above is linked to a query related to Wordfence but the issue appears to be of similar nature and got seemingly appears to have been resolved by adjusting permissions. What did you set permissions to?

• Install a new wordpress, try to reproduce the error.

If you get the same error with a new wordpress, base installation and any plugins -> it's something from the provider.

If a new wordpress doesn't have this issue, it's something from your installation. Permissions, rogue plugins, even malware 🤷‍♂️

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Lex said:
    Install a new wordpress, try to reproduce the error.

If you get the same error with a new wordpress, base installation and any plugins -> it's something from the provider.

If a new wordpress doesn't have this issue, it's something from your installation. Permissions, rogue plugins, even malware 🤷‍♂️

Usually, a fresh install solves 98% of the problems.
    It's, like you said, most times either a permission issue or a plugin acting up.
    Trying to disable other plugins 1 by 1 to find incompatibilities can also help.

• @Ympker said:

@Lex said:

It's, like you said, most times either a permission issue or a plugin acting up.

I'm going to try and do a fresh install on thT server and see if the issue happens. I manually updated the core files. And that went through. So it's either a server issue or a plugin throwing something.

• @ItsAsylum said:

@Ympker said:

@Lex said:

I'm going to try and do a fresh install on thT server and see if the issue happens. I manually updated the core files. And that went through. So it's either a server issue or a plugin throwing something.

You could try disabling plugins one by one then (either on live or on staging).

• @Ympker said:

@ItsAsylum said:

@Ympker said:

@Lex said:

You could try disabling plugins one by one then (either on live or on staging).

So, oddly enough I've disabled all plugins and was able to successfully update one of the outdated ones. The rest are still throwing the error

• Edward_SEdward_S Member
    edited December 2022

If you are on your own vps or server. Try this:

chown -R user:user /your/wordpress/file/path
    I fix this issue for some of my clients.

replace user to your user and user group

Thanked by 1TODO