Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a little confused, why some provider always out of stock for cheap plan?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

a little confused, why some provider always out of stock for cheap plan?

like greencloudvps, buyvm, spartan host etc.
the cheap plan always out of stock. why they do like that?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

In our case it was mostly because of abuse.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    In our case it was mostly because of abuse.

Francisco

what kind of abuese? people order it, and abuse it for email spam or other illegal?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2022

@Nickman said:
    what kind of abuese? people order it, and abuse it for email spam or other illegal?

Yes, all of those.

We had a lot of crypto mining on them, as well as a lot of people buying a pile of them and launching DDOS attacks. By making the new minimum cost $3.50/month, people aren't as inclined to burn cash to do dumb things. They still do, just not as much.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@Nickman said:

Yes, all of those.

We had a lot of crypto mining on them, as well as a lot of people buying a pile of them and launching DDOS attacks. By making the new minimum cost $3.50/month, people aren't as inclined to burn cash to do dumb things. They still do, just not as much.

Francisco

Would it be favorable to enable $2 plans for older customers? Like how you did the 10Gbps upgrade, if a customer has been with you without any problem for long enough, allow him to buy. TBH I really regret cancelling one, would be good if they come back some time in the future.

• @Francisco said:

@Nickman said:

Yes, all of those.

Francisco

that's really not so good.
    but also a bad news for the people who really need a cheap plan. hope you will consider to open the cheap plan again in the future. and if yes, hope you can save me a server. thanks in advance

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    • For a system with a 12c/24t CPU, packing dozens of the smallest/cheapest (512M-1G) plans onto them is not good for others with larger plans. More CPU load = less performance and reliability than if you have a mix of "the middle" plans.
    • More IPs used on cheapest/least profitable plans.
    • Smallest/cheapest plans generate highest abuse. Highest bandwidth usage out of anything since everyone gets the cheapest possible server to abuse via proxies/vpns/tunnels.
  • @MikeA said:

• For a system with a 12c/24t CPU, packing dozens of the smallest/cheapest (512M-1G) plans onto them is not good for others with larger plans. More CPU load = less performance and reliability than if you have a mix of "the middle" plans.
    • More IPs used on cheapest/least profitable plans.
    • Smallest/cheapest plans generate highest abuse. Highest bandwidth usage out of anything since everyone gets the cheapest possible server to abuse via proxies/vpns/tunnels.

but now seems most provider banned registeration via proxies

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

@Nickman said:

I am referring to people setting up proxies/vpns/tunnels on the actual VPS, not ordering with them.

A system with 50 people running tunnels, pushing tons of PPS, getting DDoS attacks, is going to inevitably be a problematic experience compared to a system without those..

• @MikeA said:

@Nickman said:

I am referring to people setting up proxies/vpns/tunnels on the actual VPS, not ordering with them.

A system with 50 people running tunnels, pushing tons of PPS, getting DDoS attacks, is going to inevitably be a problematic experience compared to a system without those..

I'm also using for vpn proxy, that very few cpu and bandwidth.
    for DDOS and mining, that should be able to be detected very easily, isn't it?

• For example, a physical server has 1Gbps bandwidth and 128GB RAM.
    With 2GB plan will sell to 64 customers, with 1GB plan will sell to 128 customers.
    The average bandwidth per user will be 1Gbps/64 and 1Gbps/128.
    People use smaller RAM plan for VPN and large RAM plan for website.
    VPN users occupies much more bandwidth than website builders at most times.
    The provider should make a balance between them.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited December 2022

@Nickman said:

@MikeA said:

@Nickman said:

I'm also using for vpn proxy, that very few cpu and bandwidth.
    for DDOS and mining, that should be able to be detected very easily, isn't it?

Selling that cheap plans you cant really afford to allocate too much human resources to monitoring the box. Many provides will just suspend your box on first sight of abuse - justified or not. If you want a VPN, purchase a VPN service - especially if you care about privacy, a VPN service will be ultimately more "private" as the IP is shared between many people(and not monitored as on NAT VPS).

Mullvad and IVPN are you friends. They may not be "cheap" but In my opinion they offer amazing value:price ratio and allow you to use their local SOCKS5 servers if you need to quickly route some app over another geoloc. I'm using Mullvad with Gluetun on my servers for routing certain applets over VPN and it works flawlessly.

Mullvad plan is about $5 per month and can be used on 5 devices at the same time. So $1 per one device and you get ~900 servers with unique IP's(each of them can be "extended" to 4 different IP's - Normal connection Wireguard and OpenVPN, SOCKS5 Wireguard and SOCKS5 OpenVPN. they are all different) and unmetered bandwidth + no-log policy promise.

Thanked by 2maverick commercial
  • @treesmokah said:
    Mullvad and IVPN are you friends.

Those not work in China as OP needed.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

It's usually just way too much work for too little profit. We use $2/month plans to "sell off" excess IPv4, but it ends up being more trouble than it's worth due to people buying up 20+ and abusing it to crypto mine, attract DDoS attacks, abuse the network etc. Also, keep in mind that IPv4 costs are slowly increasing, and these plans are becoming less & less sustainable by the day.

• Maybe it's as simple as they dont have stocks for that particular plan

Thanked by 1bdl
  • Charge peanuts, get monkeys

Thanked by 1commercial
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

@bdl said:
    Charge peanuts, get monkeys

Charge banana, get monkey*

• @lowendclient said:

@treesmokah said:
    Mullvad and IVPN are you friends.

Those not work in China as OP needed.

They should work in China. IVPN has obsf4(the same thing that people use to connecting to Tor from China) and Mullvad has its own custom thingy called udp2tcp and you are able to use wireguard over tcp on custom ports.

• @paijrut said:
    Maybe it's as simple as they dont have stocks for that particular plan

You're aware most providers don't buy wholesale VM containers to resell but rather decide upon their own mix of packages per node?

• @emgh said:

@paijrut said:

You're aware most providers don't buy wholesale VM containers to resell but rather decide upon their own mix of packages per node?

Yes, so?

• @paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

So they decide what plans they put in stock.

• @Nickman said:
    like greencloudvps, buyvm, spartan host etc.
    the cheap plan always out of stock. why they do like that?

It's called a bait and switch scam. Lure you in with a cheap but unobtainable product and sell you a higher priced product instead - deliberately.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

When they decide not to use the hardware for that particular plan, or not to put that particular plan on their current node. Thats as simple as they dont have stock for me

• @paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

When they decide not to use the hardware for that particular plan, or not to put that particular plan on their current node. Thats as simple as they dont have stock for me

Aaaand what makes them decide exactly which plans to keep in stock and not?

Not really the simple question you’te making it out to be.

Q: ”How do I build this car?”
    A: ”It’s easy, just put it together”

• @emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

Well, i dont care what their reasons.. If I could not buy from one provider because out of stock, then I'll look for the others, or different plan if I really need one. Keep it simple

• @paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

Well, i dont care what their reasons.. If I could not buy from one provider because out of stock, then I'll look for the others, or different plan if I really need one. Keep it simple

The thread isn't about how to handle a situation where a VPS is out of stock, but, rather, what makes VPS companies choose different ratios when stocking their plans.

If you don't care, why are you here?

• @emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

The thread isn't about how to handle a situation where a VPS is out of stock, but, rather, what makes VPS companies choose different ratios when stocking their plans.

The thread asking why, I answered maybe because it was simply there are no stock. Not every provider have complicated reasons on why its out of stock. Can you comprehend this simple fact?

• @paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

@emgh said:

@paijrut said:

Yes, so?

The thread asking why, I answered maybe because it was simply there are no stock. Not every provider have complicated reasons on why its out of stock. Can you comprehend this simple fact?

Every single provider out there have a strategy when it comes to their plans, pricing and offering.

• Its out of stuck, but not removed because depending on the provider, it might get restocked suddenly if the provider wants to do it for some reason again.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Why do you think?

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

IPv4 very expensive :(