Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Servers - How much to charge?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Servers - How much to charge?

CH2022CH2022 Member
edited December 2022 in General

Hi everyone!

I've been out of the web hosting game for so long (been Telecoms/Cloud for 12 years now), and so I'm real out of touch when it comes to dedicated servers.

We do quite a bit of cloud, but as equipment "ages out" it just sits in the racks, doing nothing, and I figured we might as well rent them out and make some $$$, but I'm stuck on pricing.

[REMOVED]

What would people be willing to pay for the above specs in the locations they're in? We'd likely just hand them to users with iDRAC/iLO access and people can do whatever they want with them (as long as it's not illegal and going to cause me problems).

Comments

• Hmm. Testing waters in your first post, without a provider tag?

Do you like Red?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • CH2022CH2022 Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:
    Hmm. Testing waters in your first post, without a provider tag?

Do you like Red?

We won't be selling anything here (at least not for a few months) - I'm just looking for what people would be likely to pay for such servers. I think the chances are that the prices would be too high for selling on LET anyway, but given this community is more engaging than most, it seemed like a good fit.

We don't even have a name for what we'd call our host yet - let alone have the servers ready for sale.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@CH2022 said:
    We won't be selling anything here (at least not for a few months) - I'm just looking for what people would be likely to pay for such servers.

What people on LET will pay and what makes sense as a business owner are two different things.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 crunchbits
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2022

Hmm. New Zealand would be a premium price, given bandwidth is more expensive than the USA, and the fact that I haven't seen many low-end hosts based in New Zealand. However, those processors are close to 10 years old, and DDR3 is considered outdated/slow now, which would bring down the price a lot. (depending on exactly which processors they are, a VPS with a modern CPU might actually be faster)

It depends on network quality too - do you have a high-quality network blend, or are you single-homed with a low-end provider?

• @MannDude said:

@CH2022 said:
    We won't be selling anything here (at least not for a few months) - I'm just looking for what people would be likely to pay for such servers.

What people on LET will pay and what makes sense as a business owner are two different things.

Absolutely - I was hoping to get some opinions and see if it's viable to start with. Obviously we have overheads and if it's going to be a break-even exercise or less, it won't be worth it and we will just pull the servers and put them in the back of a cupboard somewhere

• @Daniel15 said:

@CH2022 said: NZ - Dual E5 V2's / 2x 480GB SSDs / 128GB RAM (DDR3)

Hmm. New Zealand would be a premium price, given bandwidth is more expensive than the USA, and the fact that I haven't seen many low-end hosts based in New Zealand. However, those processors are close to 10 years old, and DDR3 is considered outdated/slow now, which would bring down the price a lot.

It depends on network quality too - do you have a high-quality network blend, or are you single-homed with a low-end provider?

Good point - I was thinking it'd be OK for someone to use for some low-end VPS's, but I haven't been in that game since DDR3 was new, so I could be way off base.

We have a relatively premium network blend - we, like many providers have Cogent and HE in the mix, but neither of those are the primary, that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.