Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking Chicago VPS w/ Hurricane Electric or NTT as the upstream (for low latency to Tokyo)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking Chicago VPS w/ Hurricane Electric or NTT as the upstream (for low latency to Tokyo)

Azayaka_MiraiAzayaka_Mirai Member, Host Rep
edited December 2022 in Help

Hi,

Does anyone offer VPS in Chicago with HE as the sole upstream? HE and NTT currently have the lowest latency to/from Tokyo from my tests.

Thanks!

Comments

• @Azayaka_Mirai said:
    Hi,

Does anyone offer VPS in Chicago with HE as the sole upstream? HE and NTT currently have the lowest latency to/from Tokyo from my tests.

Thanks!

Lower than California? I think there's HE in Freemont, CA.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @TimboJones said:

@Azayaka_Mirai said:
    Hi,

Thanks!

Lower than California? I think there's HE in Freemont, CA.

I think the implication is that he wants the best latency from Chicago.

• Azayaka_MiraiAzayaka_Mirai Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

@ehhthing said:
    I think the implication is that he wants the best latency from Chicago.

Right! Target users are based in the east coast. NYC - FMT - TYO has higher latency than NYC - CHI - TYO

• @Azayaka_Mirai said:
    Right! Target users are based in the east coast. NYC - FMT - TYO has higher latency than NYC - CHI - TYO

If your target is NYC then why Chicago? plox.host NYC location gives you 140ms ping to Tokyo. If you can find better I'd be interested to know.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

There isn't going to be much difference between CHI and NYC to/from TYO I believe, so you might as well serve them locally where you'll probably get 140ms-150ms.

• conceptconcept Member
    edited December 2022

Racknerd Chicago location has NTT as one of its carriers and Xenspec uses Coresite Chicago Datacenter which has HE and NTT.. Also Xenspec San Jose location is in HE's Fremont datacenter

@mosquitoguy said:

@Azayaka_Mirai said:

If your target is NYC then why Chicago?

Because it's more than NYC... I also need to take ATL into account. Chiacago seems to be the best location for most of the east coast.

@concept said:
    Racknerd Chicago location has NTT as one of its carriers and Xenspec uses Coresite Chicago Datacenter which has HE and NTT.. Also Xenspec San Jose location is in HE's Fremont datacenter

Thanks! As I tested, RackNerd is good for my use case!

• What type of traffic is that?

The different latencies by provider between Chicago-Tokyo are probably due to whether they take the CHI-LAX/SJC-TYO route or the CHI-SEA-TYO route. The latter shoudl be ~20ms shorter in RTT and is currently used by HE and NTT GIN.

You can try a jump host in Seattle (with almost any upstreams) to route your traffic through there, then I think the choice of the upstream will be less important.

edited December 2022

@udonworld said:
    What type of traffic is that?
    You can try a jump host in Seattle (with almost any upstreams) to route your traffic through there, then I think the choice of the upstream will be less important.

Yeah I tested hosts in Seattle - HE still performs the best (~ 83ms RTT). The thing is that HE connects to all major IXPs so you are almost guaranteed to have the same low latency link via HE back from Tokyo to US. For other upstream providers, the return packets can be routed back via LAX/SJC through Cogent or PCCW which causes higher latency.

As for traffic type... of course it's for gaming! ( and maybe stock trading...? )

OK it seems Limewave Seattle is what I want.

• @Azayaka_Mirai said:
    OK it seems Limewave Seattle is what I want.

If you want a more central US location with direct peering with HE, try incx.net which is in Detroit MI. Personally I think it has one of the best peering/routing I've ever seen in a provider.