Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

OVH - Can not use cryptsetup from rescue customer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH - Can not use cryptsetup from rescue customer

Hello All!

OVH announced that they make the old Rescue-Pro unavailable on bare-metal servers.

By this reason, I and a friend tried to install Debian with disk encription with the new Rescue-customer.

The problem is that cryptsetup can not run on new rescue, only can on the old. so after the suspend rescue-pro, it seems that cryptsetup will unusable. I'll copy the output of the two rescues.

new
root@rescue-customer-eu (nsxxxxxxx.ip-xxx-xxx-xxx.eu) ~ # cryptsetup -y -v --type luks2 luksFormat /dev/sda1

WARNING!

This will overwrite data on /dev/sda1 irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda1:
Verify passphrase:
Existing 'crypto_LUKS' superblock signature on device /dev/sda1 will be wiped.
Existing 'crypto_LUKS' superblock signature on device /dev/sda1 will be wiped.
Command failed with code -1 (wrong or missing parameters).
root@rescue-customer-eu (nsxxxxxxx.ip-xxx-xxx-xxx.eu) ~ #

old
root@rescue:~# cryptsetup -y -v --type luks2 luksFormat /dev/sda1

WARNING!

This will overwrite data on /dev/sda1 irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
Enter passphrase:
Verify passphrase:
Command successful.
root@rescue:~#

I tried change cipher and other parameters but the only solution is rollback to the old rescue.

Is there any idea, how to use cryptsetup on the new rescue?

@OVH_APAC can you check it please? On Dec 19th the old rescue will be unavailable however can't use cryptsetup in the new.

Comments

• I recommend using qemu to launch a vm, after downloading your iso in the rescue to install/partition your system. I used this to install:

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -nodefaults -cdrom $ISOPATH -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::60022-:22 -vga std -vnc localhost:0 -usbdevice tablet -smp 4 -m 4G -bios /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF.fd